Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think Kevin G did the best job he could, best job anyone could, with the tools he had.
    My biggest issue with that series, after the fact that it was really an X-book posing as a New Warriors title since the majority of the cast were actually depowered X-Men, was how Grevioux totally re-wrote characters' histories and personalities to fit what he wanted them to be for the story, continuity be damned.

Bandit was the biggest example. Grevioux clearly wanted to be writing Dwayne but wasn't able to since Dwayne was dead--so he completely ignored continuity and re-wrote Bandit's entire history and personality to turn him into Dwayne-lite. Bandit was making references in that series to his brotherly relationship with Dwayne, and shared experiences from their childhood, etc--the two of them were NOT raised as brothers; never met until they were adults, and basically hated each other. When Silhouette showed up, Grevioux had Bandit trying to shame Sil for "betraying Dwayne" by cheating on him with his brother, etc...ignoring the fact that Dwayne and Sil were NOT a couple at the time she and Bandit got together, and he was the one who initially pursued her not the other way around.

Although Bandit was the worst example of Grevioux's personality and history re-writes, he was hardly the only one. Go read any of Stacy-X's appearances in the X-MEN books and then read her appearances in NEW WARRIORS, and see if she is even remotely recognizable as the same woman. Beak was apparently given full body plastic surgery in addition to his personality transplant. Etc, etc.

He did have some good moments and interesting ideas along the way in that series, but the execution just didn't really work and the poor continuity and characterization frustrated me constantly. It really annoys me that somehow THIS volume managed to be the longest lasting of the various NEW WARRIORS reboots.

Extraordinary Member

I would prefer it all those ex-mutants under Bandit left (which they did at the end), and Justice’s Initiative renegade team joined up with Bandit earlier, for a series:

Night Thrasher II (Bandit)
    Justice
    Rage
    Ultra Girl
    slapstick
    Debrii
    Scarlet Spider (MVP clone)

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    The New Warriors of 2014

Attachment 103996
    I really liked this short revival, as I did the 2000's Jay Farber one. Both, I think, had so much unrealized potential. They deserved a better chance to find it's audience.
    As for specific members, I did'nt care much for the horn-headed Inhuman on the team (forgot his name). Stupid look, stupid power, and stupid character. He was there just to fill the Inhuman quota of the team, ticking the all walks of life in the MU box, which was the theme for the series. On the other hand, Loved Arcley, Scarlet Spider and Water Snake ( I wanto sooo much to see her story develop).
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Here's hoping 2021 will be a better year for the New Warriors

Still the Best. I have most of the TPBs of that series (and the whole series in floppy), but unfortunately one of the most important, if not the most important, sagas of the run was skipped in the TPB's. Night Thrasher's origin story. Unfortunately it's only on the Omnibus. I wish Marvel would consider giving it the TPB treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    Who's your favorite character from New Warriors?

My favorites are Speedball, Justice, Silhouette, Sun Girl and Hummingbird.
    Richard 'Nova" Rider, hands down. But Night Thrasher and Justice are the only true leaders of the Warriors (they are like the Iron Man and Captain America of the Warriors), and I even prefer when they are butting heads in the same team. I also really liked the angry "Road Warrior" Rage, shortly after the death of his Granny. One of the best revamps of a character I've ever seen.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Still the Best. I have most of the TPBs of that series (and the whole series in floppy), but unfortunately one of the most important, if not the most important, sagas of the run was skipped in the TPB's. Night Thrasher's origin story. Unfortunately it's only on the Omnibus. I wish Marvel would consider giving it the TPB treatment.
    Thanks, Nomads1. Bagley's the consensus favorite, and Robertson has his fans. But I always thought Zircher was great, yet underrated...

Richard 'Nova" Rider, hands down. But Night Thrasher and Justice are the only true leaders of the Warriors (they are like the Iron Man and Captain America of the Warriors), and I even prefer when they are butting heads in the same team. I also really liked the angry "Road Warrior" Rage, shortly after the death of his Granny. One of the best revamps of a character I've ever seen.

Peace
    In agreement with you about the evolution of...

Rage

But personally, I'll always LOVE his final form with the chained-helmet:

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-12-2021 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Astonishing Member

Bagley's the consensus favorite, and Robertson has his fans. But I always thought Zircher was great, yet underrated...
    I loved all three! The original NEW WARRIORS run was truly blessed to have such awesome artists for all three of their regular art teams.

[QUOTE]
    [center]Thanks, Nomads1. Bagley's the consensus favorite, and Robertson has his fans. But I always thought Zircher was great, yet underrated...
    I actually can't choose among the three. They're all fantastic and did some of their early carreers' best works in NW. I just think that we can all agree that Richard Case was not the best artist the book had.

In agreement with you about the evolution of...

Rage

But personally, I'll always LOVE his final form with the chained-helmet:

Yes, That's what comes to mind for me when I think of Rage. Too bad later creators seem to prefer his luchadores look than this.

On a side comment, I'm actually happy that the New New Warrios series (mini-series? One-shot?) didn't actually go foward. It seemed too riduculous for words, and it probably would do as much, if not more, to damage the New Warriors reputation as the Reality TV phase did. Not that Marvel seems to care, since I hear that the always rebellious New Warriors have been made into the establisment's strong-arm, and probably serving as cannon fodder so that the new teen darlings, the Champions, look good. I wouldn't know, I really can't stand the teen Champions (and the original, adult Champiosn are probably my all-time favorite Marvel team. Way to ruin a good thing), and read very few current Marvel Comics, nowadays.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 01-13-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Bagley for me. But only because he came first and drew some of his best art. I remember not liking Robertson's art when he first started drawing but that was only because he was so unfamiliar to me. But after a while I grew to love his art.

And then the same thing happened when Robertson left and Zircher joined the team haha

Who was the writer after Fabian left? I felt like the team started to go backwards. Fabian was really developing the powers of NW. Rage was turning into a black Hulk, Speedball was learning he could do all sorts of crazy things with his powers. Even Alex Power started using his powers in different ways. But when the new writer came in all of that was forgotten.

As for specific members, I did'nt care much for the horn-headed Inhuman on the team (forgot his name). Stupid look, stupid power, and stupid character. He was there just to fill the Inhuman quota of the team, ticking the all walks of life in the MU box, which was the theme for the series. On the other hand, Loved Arcley, Scarlet Spider and Water Snake ( I wanto sooo much to see her story develop).
    His name was Haechi.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

How come Darkhawk never joined after issue 50?

I mean, he was part of the reserve team, his series got cancelled. He'd have meshed perfectly and mighta brought in some readers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Who was the writer after Fabian left? I felt like the team started to go backwards. Fabian was really developing the powers of NW. Rage was turning into a black Hulk, Speedball was learning he could do all sorts of crazy things with his powers. Even Alex Power started using his powers in different ways. But when the new writer came in all of that was forgotten.
    Evan Skolnick (not sure of spelling) and I actually liked his run personally.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think Kevin G did the best job he could, best job anyone could, with the tools he had.

But damn that series sucked. Using depowered mutants is like having a series about the Civil Rights era, and having one one black character.
    I agree overall with your points but I think you’re saying there was only one black character if so that’s incorrect there were a few black characters and some that were supposed to be mixed with black as well, the main artist (paco medina) is notoriously bad with white washing & changing (mostly nonwhite) characters facial features, noses, hair & etc to where they’re almost unrecognizable. Imo most his non white characters look like white characters just spray painted black, brown & etc

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    I agree overall with your points but I think you’re saying there was only one black character if so that’s incorrect there were a few black characters and some that were supposed to be mixed with black as well, the main artist (paco medina) is notoriously bad with white washing & changing (mostly nonwhite) characters facial features, noses, hair & etc to where they’re almost unrecognizable. Imo most his non white characters look like white characters just spray painted black, brown & etc
    That's not what I'm saying at all

I'm simply pointing out that, of the entire cast, only one character is really affected by the Registration Act. That being Bandit, who wants to honor his brother's memory. That's a choice he wants to make, a decision that's personal to him

Mutants are minority metaphor. That's not a choice one makes, but who they are. More often than not, they fall into heroism because they're under attack for being mutants and if racism (and only racism) vanished tomorrow, the majority would simply retire to normal lives. They have no horse in the race, so to speak.

I compare it to the actual Civil Rights era because it's the most illustrative comparison. Yes, many white people were involved in the era, and some died fighting for Civil Rights. But they weren't the ones most affected personally, and they could walk away with the least amount of issues. So yeah, if you're going to do a series about that era, you can't have it be all white people and one black person.

The same thing applies here. The cast was fighting a battle that didn't really affect them (yes, I'm aware Kevin G tried to connect it to days of future past but that really didn't work), and that undermined the series as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    His name was Haechi.
    Yeah. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Evan Skolnick (not sure of spelling) and I actually liked his run personally.
    I actually liked it too. Not as much as Fabe's run, which seemed, tgo me, less heavy-handed when dealing with controversial issues. Evan did his own thing, but also tried out a few controversial issues (such as Angelica "dangerous" powers and genetic manipulation), but they always felt a bit forced to me.

Count me among those that really disliked Grevioux's New Warriors, filling it's ranks with third rate former mutants, that had little to none character develpment (other than Sofia, which I can't even recall the super-hero identity she took, Jubilee/Wondra and, maybe, Beak/Black Wing). The art was uneven, and Bandit seemed really out of character. I actually got my NW's fix at the time in Avengers The Innitiative. As others mentioned here, the membership of Justice, Night 'Bandit' Thrasher, Rage, Slapstick, Ultra-Girl, Debris and Scarlet Spider (the surviving clone of MVP) was way more intresting. Add Silhouette, which I saw NO reason not to be around then, and it would have been a great team. And, as always, they did their own thing, working outside the system.

Peace

Sofia's X-Men codename is Wind Dancer and her New Warriors one was Renascence.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Sofia...ga_(Earth-616)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman