Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

Default New Warriors Appreciation 2021

New Year, new thread for the New Warriors!
    The New Warriors have a crappy year in 2020 so we hope that 2021 would be better for the New Warriors.

My favorite incarnations of the New Warriors are the 90s version and 2014 New Warriors.

Teen Heroes of the 90s....

Last edited by MitchFox; 01-02-2021 at 06:40 AM.
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

The New Warriors of 2014

New Warriors4.jpg
    Last edited by MitchFox; 01-02-2021 at 06:35 AM.

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

Here's hoping 2021 will be a better year for the New Warriors

Reading the first volume for the first time. I'm loving the 90sness of it all. Hope they do something with the team. The controversial run is still up on the subscription page and the date keeps getting pushed back.

Who's your favorite character from New Warriors?

My favorites are Speedball, Justice, Silhouette, Sun Girl and Hummingbird.

Happy New Year to the New Warriors .
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post

Nigh-Thrasher, Justice, Firestar, and Nova .

Mighty Member

Too bad that between Covid and the backlash, the announcement of the relaunch of the last title received the book seemed to be cancelled because the role some of the members of New Warriors have been playing in Champions have been interesting and I would have liked to see their perspective better.

Hopefully, 2021 goes better for the team and maybe Eve Ewing does double duty and writes both Champions and New Warriors because she does seem to like the characters and have used them in both Ironheart and Champions, and I thought she did a great job with Silhouette.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn85 View Post
    Reading the first volume for the first time. I'm loving the 90sness of it all. Hope they do something with the team. The controversial run is still up on the subscription page and the date keeps getting pushed back.
    What was controversial about it?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I mean the Kibblesmith written volume that was supposed to come out in 2020. For some reason, they haven't deleted the web page nor the YouTube announcement. Usually, corporations just wipe that stuff out and pretend it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by PhoenixReborn85; 01-02-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Ultimate Member

Right before Covid hit, they announced a New Warriors one shot that was going to introduce new characters and tie in with an event that would revolve the Champions and the major teen heroes in the Marvel Universe. The new characters seemed to be complete stereotypes of young people today. I'm convinced this was on purpose and there was an element of satire involved ( the ones that really caught everyone's attention were non-binary twins named Snowflake and Safespace).

Anyway, yeah...I curious as to if it's ever going to come out now.

Not a one-shot, a five issue mini. Since it looks like Champions #5 will wrap Outlawed up (it's the final issue in the TPB and the solicit and cover mention them fighting back), it is now safe to say that last year's NW series is Vaporware. It's cancelled, never to see the light of day. At least not in it's originally intended form. I suppose it could be retooled like The Union, but honestly, they should go back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Too bad that between Covid and the backlash, the announcement of the relaunch of the last title received the book seemed to be cancelled because the role some of the members of New Warriors have been playing in Champions have been interesting and I would have liked to see their perspective better.

Hopefully, 2021 goes better for the team and maybe Eve Ewing does double duty and writes both Champions and New Warriors because she does seem to like the characters and have used them in both Ironheart and Champions, and I thought she did a great job with Silhouette.
    She did do a good job with her, yeah. I think if that happened, the books would have to be connected somehow... and there is a certain human rocket who's served on both teams...
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-02-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Right before Covid hit, they announced a New Warriors one shot that was going to introduce new characters and tie in with an event that would revolve the Champions and the major teen heroes in the Marvel Universe. The new characters seemed to be complete stereotypes of young people today. I'm convinced this was on purpose and there was an element of satire involved ( the ones that really caught everyone's attention were non-binary twins named Snowflake and Safespace).

Anyway, yeah...I curious as to if it's ever going to come out now.
    It was too on the nose for me as well. I think it was going to be satire. If Marvel didn't release that trailer the backlash wouldn't have been that extreme. Does Marvel do that for its comic series? That was the first one I've seen. Also, the controversy was one of many this year where people needed a pop culture outlet to spew whatever negative energy they have in them. I won't go into an essay, but online pop culture consumption in 2020 is just too much. Lastly, the controversy made me go seek out the first volume which I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post

I really like Silhouette. The fact you can write a character like that (Blasian disabled mutant who is capable of fighting) in the 90s is cool. The team doesn't make it a point to make her feel left out in the action. I told a friend that and he said, "Well they weren't so sensitive back then," which made no sense to me. I think when people hear 90s they automatically think un-PC without realizing the context.

As much as I hated Civil War for ruining the New Warriors, I dislike how the New Warriors in Outlawed were written as antagonists by turning them into government stooges. The sight of them arresting the kids and putting them into re-education camps left a bad taste on my mouth. Since Champions mini (that Outlawed tie-in) is going to end, I hope it answers the questions of why the New Warriors are acting OOC. Maybe they were brainwashed by the evil government all along or they are evil doppelgangers from a parallel universe.
    Last edited by MitchFox; 01-17-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Ultimate Member

The writer in question did Black Panther vs Deadpool and was/is a writer for Steve Colbert show.

Unlike other writers who would normally get attacked by the usual suspects-he and the artist got left alone.

Marvel still lists the book for subscriptions-yes they do that for minis.

Now the issue is a LOT of folks (stores and ebay sellers) would have to refund some money if it does not come out. Plus Marvel would still have to pay the creative team a kill fee. Which means the Marl Bagley variant he drew would never see the light of day.

No Night Thrasher, no New Warriors! Obviously I never read the new book. However if the writer was trying to be cute instead of just writing a good book then I'm cool with this 2019/2020 book getting buried. Let's have a book that's not a political statement. Black Panther has made me weary of all that.