Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
That's not what I'm saying at all

I'm simply pointing out that, of the entire cast, only one character is really affected by the Registration Act. That being Bandit, who wants to honor his brother's memory. That's a choice he wants to make, a decision that's personal to him

Mutants are minority metaphor. That's not a choice one makes, but who they are. More often than not, they fall into heroism because they're under attack for being mutants and if racism (and only racism) vanished tomorrow, the majority would simply retire to normal lives. They have no horse in the race, so to speak.

I compare it to the actual Civil Rights era because it's the most illustrative comparison. Yes, many white people were involved in the era, and some died fighting for Civil Rights. But they weren't the ones most affected personally, and they could walk away with the least amount of issues. So yeah, if you're going to do a series about that era, you can't have it be all white people and one black person.

The same thing applies here. The cast was fighting a battle that didn't really affect them (yes, I'm aware Kevin G tried to connect it to days of future past but that really didn't work), and that undermined the series as a whole.
I think the connection to Days of Future Past could have worked a little better, given that in that timeline, the Sentinels eventually went after anyone with powers, mutant or otherwise, not to mention that Civil War's impetus was expanding a registration act that had previously solely targeted mutants to encompass, again, anyone with powers. Personally, I thought it'd have worked well enough as the proverbial chickens coming home to roost a la Martin Niemoller's poem, with how nonmutant superheroes who might have felt they had no stakes in the mutant struggle ended up being feared and hated as "dangerous freaks no better than the mutants" after the catastrophe in Stamford. Registration, in their case, was supposed to help them get back in the good graces of the general public, to say nothing of more official authorities, but it ended up turning into a tool for control and perhaps even elimination of all superpowered beings. That said, I do agree better execution would have served that plotline well.