Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

MCP 122 is a Speedball story called Taped Confessions, also featuring Rage.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve...ents_Vol_1_122
    159-163 was a New Warriors story called Smells Like Teen Spirit.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve...ents_Vol_1_159

So, no those aren't the Niels story.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    MCP 122 is a Speedball story called Taped Confessions, also featuring Rage.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve...ents_Vol_1_122
    159-163 was a New Warriors story called Smells Like Teen Spirit.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve...ents_Vol_1_159

So, no those aren't the Niels story.
    Ah, I found it. My v1 omnibus hasn’t arrived yet. It was in the Kings of Pain annual. My first exposure to the New Warriors was due to them crossing over with X-Men. I always loved that short Niels story, too.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/New_W...Annual_Vol_1_1

Finally went through the first volume and the Fabian Nicieza stuff was solid despite the obvious dated material. But after he left, the later stuff is not good. I still don't get why Night Thrasher and Rage had to leave. Justice wasn't a good replacement as a leader and was just whiny. Also, hated how the stories weren't contained with some issues not giving a hint you had to read another series to continue an arc. Nevertheless, for me, Generation X is still the best 90s teen superhero book. But I don't regret reading New Warriors.

Night Thrasher had a solo book which Rage co-starred in, that's why they were off the team for a while.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Night Thrasher had a solo book which Rage co-starred in, that's why they were off the team for a while.
    At the time, was he that popular enough to warrant a solo book? I didn't read much Marvel Comics in the 90s so I didn't know about him until years later. I did like him as the leader of the group.

Ultimate Member

Which is weird, as plenty of characters have shown up in team books and their own solo books.

On top of that, I always thought it odd that Darkhawk's book was cancelled, yet he was never brought onto the team full time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Which is weird, as plenty of characters have shown up in team books and their own solo books.

On top of that, I always thought it odd that Darkhawk's book was cancelled, yet he was never brought onto the team full time.
    There was an obvious shift in tone once Fabian left the book. Early issues they balanced with fantastical and street-level stories, but later stories leaned towards being very WB teen drama with just fantastical, confusing stories. Maybe they thought Night Thrasher, Rage and Darkhawk weren't going to gel with that.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn85 View Post
    At the time, was he that popular enough to warrant a solo book? I didn't read much Marvel Comics in the 90s so I didn't know about him until years later. I did like him as the leader of the group.
    Well, it ran for 21 issues. Many modern books don't manage that, so I'd say, yes, he was.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Night_Thrasher_Vol_1

Well, it ran for 21 issues. Many modern books don't manage that, so I'd say, yes, he was.
    Everyone had a solo/mini-series in the 90s-early 2000s

"Extreme" heroes were a 90's thing. It didn't hurt that there were enough parallels between Night Thrasher and Batman to make him quite intriguing.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    I wish they'd just put that book out. Pretty sure it was canceled because some of the new characters were too "woke" so the social justice warriors got it dumped.

So annoying.
    It was not that only. The characters were too much woke for a sector of readers, but on the opposite field, they were seen as a parody of progressive people. So at least they made the amazing feat of being hated by both extreme sides of the political spectrum. Imagine, they agreed on something.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    It was not that only. The characters were too much woke for a sector of readers, but on the opposite field, they were seen as a parody of progressive people. So at least they made the amazing feat of being hated by both extreme sides of the political spectrum. Imagine, they agreed on something.
    I prefer to think that the concepts sucked so badly, they pulled in all the hate like a black hole

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I had the theory that it had to be a send-up/parody of progressive culture since it felt too on the nose. But after reading the first volume of the series it probably was going to be earnest and fall flat on its face. So it's good it was canceled. I think what the first series had going for it was since it was the 90s, applying social messages was still rough around the edges, but the intent was clear. They had issues about prisoner rights and the Middle Eastern conflict. Nowadays, everything would be scrutinized, and think pieces would be galore on what they didn't get right making a single issue feel like a dissertation for a Ph.D. I wished people cared enough about actual societal issues like they do about a fictional character that's non-binary or something.

I had the theory that it had to be a send-up/parody of progressive culture since it felt too on the nose.
    With Luciano Vecchio involved, I doubt it would be a parody. I don't know about Kibbleschmit works, but Vecchio always involves himself(?) in progresive stories.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I never read more than the first arc(if I finished that). I'd be curious to pick up a Complete Collection if that made it to print.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime