Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    There's another question I could ask....What does anyone think of Yost's New Warriors, the last team incarnation from 2014?
    I thought it was a fun book.

There's another question I could ask....What does anyone think of Yost's New Warriors, the last team incarnation from 2014?
    I thought it was alright.... nothing special. I mean they had a dog and cat join the team which I thought was strange.

But apart from the cat and dog I enjoyed it. There are a number of plots that were never answered.

I liked it. It was a good book.

Astonishing Member

I believe that Series Three is Zeb Wells and Skottie Young's New Warriors where they were reality show stars.

Series Two is written by Jay Faerber which is supposed to be a continuation after Nicieza's and Skolnick's New Warriors ended and it was from 1999-2000. The cast in series two were Speedball, Turbo (Michiko Musashi), Namorita and Nova, as well as the two recruits - Bolt and Aegis. The mini-series from 1999-2000 is sadly forgotten.
    Series Four is where Donyell Taylor had the former mutants wearing powered armor in his team and it took place after Civil War.
    Then, there was Series Five which was written by Chris Yost which is a relaunch of the New Warriors team during Marvel NOW era in 2014. The characters were Justice, Speedball, Nova (Sam Alexander), Sun Girl, Haechi, Scarlet Spider (Kaine Parker), Hummingbird and Water Snake. Also, Silhouette was the off-and-on member who turned up later.
    Really? I thought it was after House of M.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Really? I thought it was after House of M.
    It was after House of M, too, in the same way Civil War followed House of M.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeah, it's after both. House of M happens, then Civil War - the X-Men stayed out of Civil War due to their Decimation. Then the new New Warriors formed of depowered mutants appeared after Civil War, the previous team from vol 3 having been destroyed in Civil War's first issue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, it's after both. House of M happens, then Civil War - the X-Men stayed out of Civil War due to their Decimation. Then the new New Warriors formed of depowered mutants appeared after Civil War, the previous team from vol 3 having been destroyed in Civil War's first issue.
    I think Kevin G did the best job he could, best job anyone could, with the tools he had.

But damn that series sucked. Using depowered mutants is like having a series about the Civil Rights era, and having one one black character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think Kevin G did the best job he could, best job anyone could, with the tools he had.

But damn that series sucked. Using depowered mutants is like having a series about the Civil Rights era, and having one one black character.
    ???????????????

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    ???????????????
    Mutants are a minority metaphor. And no one chooses to be a minority.

Civil War, boiled down to its basics, is about choice.

Thus, the characters and basic story concept went against one another. The narrative kept falling onto Bandit, because he was the only one with a horse in the race, so to speak.

Mutants are a minority metaphor. And no one chooses to be a minority.

Civil War, boiled down to its basics, is about choice.

Thus, the characters and basic story concept went against one another. The narrative kept falling onto Bandit, because he was the only one with a horse in the race, so to speak.
    That's an interesting take on it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's an interesting take on it.
    At the end of the day, the entire cast could comfortably walk away from the mission. Kinda hurt tension, ya know?

Fantastic Member

So what's happening with regards to this:

https://www.kibblesmith.com/news/2020/3/09/nw-20200309

Is that cancelled indefinitely? I wanted to see what they did with it.

Ultimate Member

I really liked some of the new guard, like Sun Girl and Haechi, and of course am fond of original New Warriors like Justice and Speedball (and, eventually, Silhouette). But the threat itself, the whole High Evolutionary/Eternals thing, seemed a little too big and ended up not getting resolved, just kicked down the road and then forgotten, and now, with the Eternals reboot, kind of abandoned forever, I think. Ditto the Chthon subplot, or anything to do with Hummingbird's eventual fate, or the Water Snake/Namorita mystery. Seeds sown, and then the field was abandoned. That frustrates me a bit (although I do appreciate how the writers picked up on Scarlet Spider's abandoned arc and sort of closed it off, rather than just ignoring it and doing whatever they wanted with the character). Sadly no one seems to have proven willing to extend the same writerly courtesy to them and pick up anything they put down...

At the end of the day, the entire cast could comfortably walk away from the mission. Kinda hurt tension, ya know?
    Good point, come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I really liked some of the new guard, like Sun Girl and Haechi, and of course am fond of original New Warriors like Justice and Speedball (and, eventually, Silhouette). But the threat itself, the whole High Evolutionary/Eternals thing, seemed a little too big and ended up not getting resolved, just kicked down the road and then forgotten, and now, with the Eternals reboot, kind of abandoned forever, I think. Ditto the Chthon subplot, or anything to do with Hummingbird's eventual fate, or the Water Snake/Namorita mystery. Seeds sown, and then the field was abandoned. That frustrates me a bit (although I do appreciate how the writers picked up on Scarlet Spider's abandoned arc and sort of closed it off, rather than just ignoring it and doing whatever they wanted with the character). Sadly no one seems to have proven willing to extend the same writerly courtesy to them and pick up anything they put down...
    Generally agreed.

Astonishing Member

I really enjoyed that series a lot. Its my favourite run after the original series.

As others have already mentioned there are a number of plot threads that never get a chance to be resolved, which is disappointing--but doesn't change the fact that it was a strong run. For me it had the best mix of classic Warriors and interesting new additions, and the classic members who were included acted and sounded like themselves, which was not always the case in volumes 2-4.