Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That's not what I'm saying at all

I'm simply pointing out that, of the entire cast, only one character is really affected by the Registration Act. That being Bandit, who wants to honor his brother's memory. That's a choice he wants to make, a decision that's personal to him

Mutants are minority metaphor. That's not a choice one makes, but who they are. More often than not, they fall into heroism because they're under attack for being mutants and if racism (and only racism) vanished tomorrow, the majority would simply retire to normal lives. They have no horse in the race, so to speak.

I compare it to the actual Civil Rights era because it's the most illustrative comparison. Yes, many white people were involved in the era, and some died fighting for Civil Rights. But they weren't the ones most affected personally, and they could walk away with the least amount of issues. So yeah, if you're going to do a series about that era, you can't have it be all white people and one black person.

The same thing applies here. The cast was fighting a battle that didn't really affect them (yes, I'm aware Kevin G tried to connect it to days of future past but that really didn't work), and that undermined the series as a whole.
    I think the connection to Days of Future Past could have worked a little better, given that in that timeline, the Sentinels eventually went after anyone with powers, mutant or otherwise, not to mention that Civil War's impetus was expanding a registration act that had previously solely targeted mutants to encompass, again, anyone with powers. Personally, I thought it'd have worked well enough as the proverbial chickens coming home to roost a la Martin Niemoller's poem, with how nonmutant superheroes who might have felt they had no stakes in the mutant struggle ended up being feared and hated as "dangerous freaks no better than the mutants" after the catastrophe in Stamford. Registration, in their case, was supposed to help them get back in the good graces of the general public, to say nothing of more official authorities, but it ended up turning into a tool for control and perhaps even elimination of all superpowered beings. That said, I do agree better execution would have served that plotline well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sofia's X-Men codename is Wind Dancer and her New Warriors one was Renascence.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Sofia...ga_(Earth-616)
    Renasscence. Yes. Thank you.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I actually liked it too. Not as much as Fabe's run, which seemed, tgo me, less heavy-handed when dealing with controversial issues. Evan did his own thing, but also tried out a few controversial issues (such as Angelica "dangerous" powers and genetic manipulation), but they always felt a bit forced to me.
    I am another fan of Skolnik's run. As you say, not as much as Fabian's--but I thought he still did a decent job with the book and the characters during his run, particularly the newer additions to the ranks like Turbo, Powerpax and Hindsight Lad.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Who was the writer after Fabian left? I felt like the team started to go backwards. Fabian was really developing the powers of NW. Rage was turning into a black Hulk, Speedball was learning he could do all sorts of crazy things with his powers. Even Alex Power started using his powers in different ways. But when the new writer came in all of that was forgotten.
    I don't think any of that was forgotten. Skolnik did more with Alex Power than Fabian did--Alex only appeared in a couple of issues of Fabian's run. Speedball was still using his powers in other ways than just bouncing. Skolnik DID veer off in very different direction than Fabian was headed with Speedball though, with that whole 'fake Speedball' storyline. I wasn't a huge fan of that particular arc.

One thing with Skolnik's run is that a lot of the original team started moving off to the sidelines. Fabian had already written Silhouette out before he left, and then Nita spent most of Skolnik's run with the Soldiers of Misfortune; Thrash and Rage only appeared occasionally since they were off doing things in Thrash's solo book, etc. He still used Vance, Rich, Firestar and Speedball prominently, but he also really focused on the new recruits that Fabian had introduced--and then added a few more of his own like Timeslip and Helix.

A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/01/13/ma...21-danny-lore/

So...Eve Ewing is leaving Champions yet that Outlawed crap might be still going on (or not) with the evil corporation/government keeping that darn Kamala’s Law in place. Then, what does that mean with the antagonistic doppelganger “New Warriors”?
    Is it this going to resolve by turning out that the elder New Warriors had been brainwashed by the evil government all along or something else? Whatever that is, I am still mad that the New Warriors had been ruined by being turned into government stooges in Outlawed. I may hold my breath until Danny Lore acknowledges the out-of-character thing and explain it.
    The "New Warriors" appeared as antagonists to the Champions by acting like cops in that dreaded Outlawed storyline.
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

so who is currently alive/dead from the circa 1990 - 2000 team(s)?

Can a new group set up shop in another city? Houston? Detroit? Portland?

Fantastic Member

What do the New Warriors represent? Are they just an ever-rotating lineup of young superheroes?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    What do the New Warriors represent? Are they just an ever-rotating lineup of young superheroes?
    Currently?

...yeah.

The Champions stole their tagline of 'Fight the battles they (the Avengers) never touch'.

Worse, they're now part of a multi national corporation that churns out money like they own a printing press. Disney wants to appeal to everyone the world over without making waves. So that means that tackling any true, controversial subjects, like say Chinese exploitation of Uighurs, for example, is unlikely.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Currently?

...yeah.

The Champions stole their tagline of 'Fight the battles they (the Avengers) never touch'.

Worse, they're now part of a multi national corporation that churns out money like they own a printing press. Disney wants to appeal to everyone the world over without making waves. So that means that tackling any true, controversial subjects, like say Chinese exploitation of Uighurs, for example, is unlikely.
    Yeah, that would have been a good one, especially in light of the backlash the live-action remake of Mulan got due to filming near a Uighur concentration camp (the location was credited in the movie with no acknowledgement of what was happening there) and its lead actress apparently taking the side of the Chinese government against the pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/01/13/ma...21-danny-lore/

So...Eve Ewing is leaving Champions yet that Outlawed crap might be still going on (or not) with the evil corporation/government keeping that darn Kamala’s Law in place. Then, what does that mean with the antagonistic doppelganger “New Warriors”?
    Is it this going to resolve by turning out that the elder New Warriors had been brainwashed by the evil government all along or something else? Whatever that is, I am still mad that the New Warriors had been ruined by being turned into government stooges in Outlawed. I may hold my breath until Danny Lore acknowledges the out-of-character thing and explain it.
    The "New Warriors" appeared as antagonists to the Champions by acting like cops in that dreaded Outlawed storyline.
    It actually sounds like Kamala's Law will be abolished (which wouldn't happen instantly), and CRADLE shut down, in issue 5, but this corporation is trying to keep the law in place in issue 6. So the New Warriors should no longer be involved. It would be nice if Champions #5 included a panel showing Speedball or Justice on TV apologising for CRADLE's actions, saying that they didn't know about the reeducation prisons. Absolving the Warriors of any guilt and showing them to have been misled. Frankly, they also owe Nova an apology, as Sam is supposed to be their friend, being a former Warrior himself.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-18-2021 at 02:24 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It actually sounds like Kamala's Law will be abolished (which wouldn't happen instantly), and CRADLE shut down, in issue 5, but this corporation is trying to keep the law in place in issue 6. So the New Warriors should no longer be involved. It would be nice if Champions #5 included a panel showing Speedball or Justice on TV apologising for CRADLE's actions, saying that they didn't know about the reeducation prisons. Absolving the Warriors of any guilt and showing them to have been misled. Frankly, they also owe Nova an apology, as Sam is supposed to be their friend, being a former Warrior himself.
    Eh.

Everyone gets at least one 'Civil War' mulligan

Currently?

...yeah.

Genuinely curious, what controversial subjects did the New Warriors tackle in their original run?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Genuinely curious, what controversial subjects did the New Warriors tackle in their original run?
    Middle East violence, the Israel peace process, cultural theft, sexual assault, child abuse, off the top of my head. Mind, I'm not gonna say that all of them were well addressed, but the effort was there.

Middle East violence, the Israel peace process, cultural theft, sexual assault, child abuse, off the top of my head. Mind, I'm not gonna say that all of them were well addressed, but the effort was there.
    Exploitation of the Amazon Rain Forrest, which, as a Brazilian myself, I thought it quite well-handled at the time, showing the problem from various perspectives. It was, IMHO, as far from preachy as you could get.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Environmental issues in general. Homophobia. Racism.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Foster kid or taking guardianship of a kid.