Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn85 View Post
    So I decided to bite the bullet and ask Marvel's subscription department if the New Warriors mini-series was still happening and the department said Marvel still hasn't made a decision. So strange.

Anyway, I've been reading through the first volume, and Fabian Nicieza does not give these kids a break. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it's a 90s comic book. I'm at issue 36 or 37 and it's like yikes on what is happening to their families. It keeps me reading though.
    Volume 1 is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Volume 1 is fantastic.
    Agreed. An overlooked classic (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. An overlooked classic (IMHO):

And very progressive for its time. So far in my readings, they covered prisoner rights, gang violence, politics (a little cringe), and the fact Silouhette is a female POC disabled hero (and not in a pandering way) is admirable.

The warriors also fought huge threats then. They even saved the world when the avengers and x-men couldn't. It was so annoying when they used them as a "young Not trained reakless team" in cw. In other words they didn't read a single issue of the original new warriors at all!

The Warriors were a scapegoat. Nitro caused that explosion, not Night Thrasher and his team.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The warriors also fought huge threats then. They even saved the world when the avengers and x-men couldn't. It was so annoying when they used them as a "young Not trained reakless team" in cw. In other words they didn't read a single issue of the original new warriors at all!
    Not only that, but in Millar's signuture "everybody is a dick" move, he wrote them as frivolous stars wanna-bes only intrested in views for their show, and not in doing justice. Can you imagine a worse way of describing someone like Night Thrasher? That was character assassination at it's best.

Peace

Millar is such a hack. I can't believe I liked him when I was younger.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Warriors were a scapegoat. Nitro caused that explosion, not Night Thrasher and his team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Not only that, but in Millar's signuture "everybody is a dick" move, he wrote them as frivolous stars wanna-bes only intrested in views for their show, and not in doing justice. Can you imagine a worse way of describing someone like Night Thrasher? That was character assassination at it's best.

Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn85 View Post
    Millar is such a hack. I can't believe I liked him when I was younger.
    I can agree with that. Personally, his best work for Marvel was Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12, and that was probably because he had enough editorial (or otherwise) restraints on him to keep his usual nihilistic, "everyone's an @$$hole" tendencies at bay. That aside, speaking of the fallout from Civil War, I did like Justice calling out Captain America and Iron Man for calling the New Warriors "a tarnished brand" in Chris Yost's run, specifically citing that Cap and Tony dragged the entire superhero community into a superpowered civil war and somehow that didn't "tarnish" the Avengers' brand. (Granted, we all know that's Marvel editorial protecting the Avengers, but still.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeap it was completely disrespectful to have them go through that CW nonsense.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Peace
    I think the whole '3rd string character thus not worth the effort of getting it right' is biting Marvel in the ass now. If they don't care, why should we? Thus, it forces them to rely on already popular characters, which is an ever shrinking field.

The sad part is that they could have had much the same plot without making the Warriors look like idiots. Simply have them unable to contact the Avengers because they were never given the information, the villains accidentally discover them and things go from there. Thus, both sides have some credibility to their stance.

But then, Millar, sigh...

When have they ever?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think the whole '3rd string character thus not worth the effort of getting it right' is biting Marvel in the ass now. If they don't care, why should we? Thus, it forces them to rely on already popular characters, which is an ever shrinking field.

The sad part is that they could have had much the same plot without making the Warriors look like idiots. Simply have them unable to contact the Avengers because they were never given the information, the villains accidentally discover them and things go from there. Thus, both sides have some credibility to their stance.

But then, Millar, sigh...
    Yeah, that is pretty sad, that we as fans/readers could come up with a more logical (and respectful) way of carrying out the same basic plot point compared to actual professionals in the industry. That aside, I do agree with your point that Marvel would be in a better place, creatively and otherwise, if it respected (and used) its more obscure characters more.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, that is pretty sad, that we as fans/readers could come up with a more logical (and respectful) way of carrying out the same basic plot point compared to actual professionals in the industry. That aside, I do agree with your point that Marvel would be in a better place, creatively and otherwise, if it respected (and used) its more obscure characters more.
    I couldn't agree more, Huntsman Spider. Sadly, it seems they're more interested in either the "Big Guns" or creating new characters from scratch.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I couldn't agree more, Huntsman Spider. Sadly, it seems they're more interested in either the "Big Guns" or creating new characters from scratch.
    Or pet characters.

I remember the saying 'Good manners cost nothing'.

Marvel ought to have a rule 'Decency to all characters costs nothing'.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    What was controversial about it?
    The way i heard they were going full SJW with it and people hated it.