Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    My sister, who read my comics up until she was into her late teens, said she more or less enjoyed the series, but that every time that Tom Hiddleston wasn't on screen the show just lost her interest; and she's not actually a big Hiddleston fangirl or anything, she simply didn't find anyone else that interesting (except Alligator Loki!). Most of the comics references went over her head, and I'm not sure she remembered who Kang was.

I enjoyed the show (with caveats) up until the last episode, which really did feel like the main thing was to set up Kang for the MCU.

I didn't like that Loki was written like the writers had forgotten he's superhumanly strong, or that he lost that spark of mischief and cunning which is part of his appeal. I also felt Sylvie lacked those things, and I didn't feel that Loki and Sylvie had much chemistry, which was a pity as the show kept putting them together. However, overall I thought it was a fun ride, and I always find Hiddleston watchable.

I think Albert might be referring to the original pitch, which as I understand it was to have been a show about Loki traveling through time and having unexpected influences on characters throughout history.
    Maybe, though I don't think casual fans/kids would have been keeping up with what the original pitch was, they'd have just been catching trailers and stuff. And the show runners were still under no obligation to stick to early pitches. I just don't think it's fair to make an assumption about a thing, or wish it to be a certain way, and then judge it for not being that, rather than what it actually is. That's not actually judging the project on it's merits, and giving it a fair shake.

And yeah I really liked it overall, but there were things I didn't like about the show, one main thing being the lack of chemistry between Sylvie and Loki (though i think plot wise, she did serve an important part, it's just the romance angle and the actress didn't do it for me) and I would have preferred more time spent on the relationship with Mobius. I just don't let that spoil the rest of it for me, I'm not the kind of person to let an aspect or two that I don't care for spoil the entire thing, that happens with everything, and if I let one aspect spoil everything for me, then I would like nothing. But I think some of the complaints are overblown, kind of ignoring the parts of the show that don't fit with the narrative being presented. Like, I see the 'it wasn't Loki-centered enough' a lot, and I just don't get it, because it was very Loki centered. That it also focused on other aspects is not at all unusual for a solo project of any kind, because characters need arcs, and that will necessitate other characters and a core plot that needs to be built up. It's just the nature of the beast, it can't be focused completely on Loki, without neglecting things like plot. As for Kang, turns out the show wasn't just there to introduce Kang as some people have been saying. He wasn't even a Kang variant initially, it turns out https://screenrant.com/loki-show-jon...kang-antman-3/ He was just He Who Remains, and they liked his casting in Loki, so they MADE him Kang for Ant-Man and beyond, and inserted the Kang references into Loki. But otherwise his part remained the same, because it served Loki's story. Coming face to face with someone who represented a choice between order and chaos. I really don't think his part detracted from Loki's story, because it helped support the narrative they were building, and the themes they were playing with, and the casting situation just shows that the focus wasn't actually about Kang.

My main issue the other day though was the idea that cus one little girl didn't like it, it rendered the show a failure. One person not liking a thing isn't a sign that it's failing, every single one of Marvel's offerings have people who dislike it. It is impossible to make a project that appeals to every single person who may watch it. I am all for making things for kids, but I don't think they need to be the main audience, is all. That will just result in everything feeling all samey, something the MCU already gets criticized for, and people who want something more mature and/or emotional will be left out in the cold. So, a with anything creative, they just have to make what they want to make, and trust that there will be an audience for it. But that audience will not encompass everyone, no matter what they do.

edit - as for the 'typical Marvel good guy' I just don't see it that way. While I do think the comics have struck a better balance between Loki being a good guy and retaining his more mischievous nature, I don't think it was totally lost on the show, even if it took a bit of a back seat. I think next season, even if Herron had stayed on as director, will likely see more playfulness return to the character, as he tries to figure out what's going on. But he was in a tough situation here, which overrode that somewhat in order to facilitate the character development. And Loki has always been emotional, that was his driving force for most of his actions, it's just that the emotion shifted from anger and resentment to other things here. But I thin he will find a balance and regain some of his playfulness now that he's gone through the bulk of his character growth.

edit 2 - oh yeah, and I read the annual, and Loki was not i in it beyond the pages shown in the preview. A bit disappointing, since I would have liked to see how this alt-Thor reacted to present day Loki. but oh well
    Last edited by Raye; 07-21-2021 at 09:36 AM.