Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

yay, there are still people here!

and yeah, that one cover is very movie-poster-esque, i dig it.

As for Ericka Henderson, Wil Moss is the editor of all the Asgard related stuff, going back to Agent of Asgard/God of Thunder, (before that, he as at DC) and he's one of the editors here too, as you would expect, and he also edited Squirrel Girl. So I would imagine he just has a good working relationship with Henderson

oh on the Disney show, looks like the release date is now June, so it got pushed back some, i presume due to Covid delaying filming. But it does mean there is still a chance we could get something in the comics with Loki to coincide with the launch of the show.

so Loki was of course in Double Trouble today, which was adorable, but not too much to it that you could not gather from the solicits and covers. Loki and Thor have a strained relationship, Loki likes messing with Thor, and dares him to steal a horn from Odin's vault, Thor does, despite Loki trying to sabotage his attempt, and Loki blows the horn and out pops the Midgard Serpent's sister. Loki's like 'ok, my work here is done, bye' but Thor grabs him and says he's going to help him fight the serpent cus it's his fault. But super cute, and I really liked the characterization.

hahaha. So Loki got to win a race in that issue, he did not fare as well in the other issue he appeared in today....

cus he was also in Strange Academy today! I suspected he might be, because it was solicited that it was Parent's Day at the school and figured he might show up there for Gus. He did show up... but for Alvi and Iric, the two Asgardian brothers, for some reason? called himself their uncle, which was odd, cus none of Loki's siblings have kids, that I'm aware of. (.... yet. Balder's likely getting 2 very soon) though he might have meant "uncle" as in just vaguely related somehow, or just that he was available. I dunno. Apparently their last name is Brorson, and no idea who 'Bror' is, so...

(and yes, they consistently miscoloured his costume, mostly his boots/shin guards since he ditched the armor and jacket after this panel, the entire issue. and the long coat is now a short jacket, with no fur collar but that may just be a design choice)

So, they are divided into 2 teams, and have to compete in some challenges. And Emily's mother is.... a bit competitive. She and Loki do NOT get along cus they are both in it to win. Also, orange is NOT Loki's colour. I can see why he wears green.

So besides the scavenger hunt shenanigans there, there was a race, which Loki just barely lost, and though it was not shown on panel, it seemed to me like like Emily's mom tripped him. So they both played dirty. Also, 2 of the kids got into a store room with some magical artifacts and things went poorly and many of the items were destroyed. among the artifacts was a voodoo doll of Loki, and it would have been wrecked as they were doing the race, so I'm just gonna pretend the voodoo doll interfered.

But they are off to Asgard next issue, so Loki will probably be in next issue as well, maybe Thor too. And Emily's mom won't be there. And we may find out what's up with Alvi and Iric's parents and this whole 'uncle' weirdness.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Thor & Loki is such a cute story; I love it!

I wish we had more series' like this that explores the lighter side of the Marvel Universe; especially Asgard.

The art is amazing and Tamaki is on point

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Thor & Loki was a fun first issue for this mini. I really enjoyed their characterization and banter. Great art for this series too. This will be a fun series!

Strange "Not Avengers" Academy was great too! Yeah, seeing Loki in a short jacket just didn't look as good, but then being in the orange shirt didn't do him any favors. Lol It was fun seeing those games unfold and Loki and Emily's Mom going at it. Yeah, hopefully Loki will make another appearance next issue. Either way, it was great to see Loki appear in two series this week!
    Last edited by Prof. Aegis; 03-12-2021 at 01:56 PM.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post

cus he was also in Strange Academy today! I suspected he might be, because it was solicited that it was Parent's Day at the school and figured he might show up there for Gus. He did show up... but for Alvi and Iric, the two Asgardian brothers, for some reason? called himself their uncle, which was odd, cus none of Loki's siblings have kids, that I'm aware of. (.... yet. Balder's likely getting 2 very soon) though he might have meant "uncle" as in just vaguely related somehow, or just that he was available. I dunno. Apparently their last name is Brorson, and no idea who 'Bror' is, so..
    Alvi and Iric's parents and this whole 'uncle' weirdness.
    I wonder if their mother is Amora.

Maybe! she might be somewhat close enough for Loki to bump himself up to honorary 'uncle' status for them, and there was something about there mother with the 'you know your mother' thing, like they couldn't have expected her to show up under any circumstances, and that could fit Amora, maybe. Possibly Bror was someone she had seduced for some purpose, as she sometimes does, and then discarded after she was done with him, and gave him the kids, or something? could explain their aptitude with magic, and they are blonde like her. Tho it might be weird if she had kids that she had never mentioned before. Especially given how much she's doting on her child in the future over in Captain Marvel. I dunno, it's definitely weird, if it was actually meant literally. Just went on a ramble about it earlier tonight: https://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/645...academy-9-2021 in any case, they have done spotlight scenes for several students so far that show their home life before they got to the school, so I would imagine the twins will get one as well at some point, and next issue going to Asgard feels like a good time for that, so we may find out next month.

The jacket, yeah, not feeling the short jacket look. Definitely prefer a long coat, Agent stye with the buckles in front, or the style with the metal shoulders, (but maybe fix up the tattered hems on that one) either way is fine, but I like it long. I can see not wearing the long coat when it's warm, but I think just his armor with no coat at all looks really nice, so just taking it off works for me.

And yeah, while I do like some meaty stories i can really get into with speculation and finding messages and meaning or whatever quite a bit, a story that's just cute and fun is always welcome as well, and I really liked the first issue of Double Trouble.

I read Double Trouble yesterday. There's a very Panty&Stocking feel about the art, and the story is... well, goofy, really matching the way the characters are drawn. I know Thor and Loki are supposed to be their current comics age, but here they both look like kids and it fits the story. I looked at the alternative cover again, beautiful as it is, I had a hard time imagining THIS Loki in THIS story.
    Last edited by Yoruno; 03-11-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    Avengers Academy was great too! Yeah, seeing Loki in a short jacket just didn't look as good, but then being in the orange shirt didn't do him any favors. Lol It was fun seeing those games unfold and Loki and Emily's Mom going at it. Yeah, hopefully Loki will make another appearance next issue. Either way, it was great to see Loki appear in two series this week!
    STRANGE Academy, not Avengers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

heh i didn't even notice, I'm sure it was just some crossed wires from the old series or the game, we know what she meant.

And I think they are supposed to be younger in Double Trouble, like teenagers or something, at least that's the impression i got from how they acted. Out of continuity, though, clearly, so I'm fine with some fudging things there. I was kinda hoping when it was announced it was going to be in continuity, but back in their younger days, because that hasn't been explored much, or, at least not very consistently, they kept changing things, so one story of their past doesn't really match another. I'd like for them to kinda flesh out that period and make it stick. But this is fun, too.

Fantastic Member

The Donny Cates specific Loki/Strange rivalry rides eternal! Love that these two are always just mean jerks to each other now, wholesome <3

niiiiice! I knew he'd be back to help save the day. Tho it was frustrating to not even get an update on his status the past few issues. And yeah, I'm here for some bickering and biting jabs between Loki and Strange. Though I would have thought Bats would be a bit more OK with Loki after the whole team up with them and Wolverine. But I think i do get what they are going for, here. I think Loki genuinely wants to help here, but due to events in the past, no one trusts him, and they think he's up to no good. Like, they may think this whole thing is all his fault. Even if he told them that it was all Thor's idea, which is the truth, they would likely not believe him, and may still think the whole Blake thing was some plot of his. I mean, Loki knows this, even. This is probably the whole reason he tricked his way into the Sorcerer Supreme position in the first place. He knew damn well that if he went to Strange and was all like 'hey, you know that all powerful spell that could potentially unravel all of reality in the wrong hands? can i borrow it for just a sec? wanna fix magic with it, thanks' Like, no, Strange wasn't ever going to agree to that, so Loki... got creative. But of course that's not gonna do him any favors with Strange trusting him right now. Anyway, yeah, they don't trust him, which is likely why no one thought to include him in their plans up till now. And I mean, I get that they're not being unreasonable in their distrust, but it is kind of frustrating from Loki's perspective, that he wants to help but no one will really let him. But I am hoping he proves himself in the end, and plays a major part in saving Thor and defeating Blake.

I note that Loki has the pieces of Blake's cane with him, which kinda-sorta means he has Mjolnir, I'm just saying.

(they got his armor wrong tho they really need to step up on getting the right model sheets to artists)
    Last edited by Raye; 03-12-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post

I note that Loki has the pieces of Blake's cane with him, which kinda-sorta means he has Mjolnir, I'm just saying.

(they got his armor wrong tho they really need to step up on getting the right model sheets to artists)
    That's what makes me super suspicious. They didn't show the cane for nothing.

yeah, the way it was framed was very, very deliberate. It is not an incidental detail, we were meant to see pieces of the cane. Took me a minute or two to click what they were, though. That they are behind at his back, hidden from the others view, may make some people think it's for a bad purpose, like he's hiding it from them, again probably intentionally. I don't think it's only the other characters that may distrust Loki's motivations due to his past. For those of us who have followed Loki's story from JIM onward and know he's trying to do better (he's just not very good at being good, and has had some setbacks) and we know damn well that Cates knows that, and has used that aspect in his Dr Strange story, we may be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Some other readers would probably just assume he's up to no good, though, and they may want to lean into that a bit. Even though we saw in the opening issue of the arc that none of this was his idea, he told Thor that's not who he wanted to be anymore, and he only has those pieces because Blake attacked him.

I'm still thinking how he was able to get away safe and even get the cane after the assault we saw, arm broken and all. I don’t mean he orchestrated anything, but I still have to understand what happened during the time he was absent from the panels. I hope it's not the good old teaming up with the enemy only to betray them, because that's way too repetitive and predictable. One more thing, am I right assuming that Loki is the only one who knows Thor's whereabouts?