Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I would disagree here. The reveal of who Kindred is isn't the only reveal of Last Remains.

In the arc it also establish that Kindred's origins are tied to what Peter did in OMD. We did not learn this until issue 55. Also, it setup in 51 and 53.LR that Peter did in fact make the deal, and it is affecting him today and his ability to use the hand of Vishanti with Dr. Strange and it left his Astral Plane in shambles infested with demons.

IMO, Last Remains is a huge deal because it is the first concrete evidence that Kindred is tied to OMD and that Peter is still being affected by the deal in a spiritual sense. This should be the primary purpose of the arc beyond the identity reveal. The reader knows, but Peter doesn't ... yet.
    One of the more annoying things is that, just like with Kindred's identity, the reader figures it out before Parker does. Kindred really needed to explictly spell it out opposed to just saying confess over and over and instead of an IV drip of hints it's related to OMD, which they already had been doing in the issues before Last Remains.

Mighty Member

He's at a low point for me at the moment, just because things are taking forever, and some of his plots are rather dull. But I liked his Kraven story and outside of oblique Abomination from 2004 references he's been really quite good at setting the canon back to places it should be instead of the garbage Slott was pushing. Overall I'd say he's one of the lower tier writers, but that's a general improvement over what we've been getting. My current list of major SM writers....

1) Lee
    2) David
    3) DeMatteis
    4) Stern
    5) JMS
    6) Conway
    7) Wolfman
    8) Bendis
    9) Micheline
    10) DeFalco
    11) Jurgens
    12) Mantlo
    13) Guggenheim
    14) Wells
    15) Spencer
    16) O'Neil
    17) McFarland
    18) Mackie
    19) Gale
    20) Slott

McFarland being a major writer is a bit of a stretch but, eh....he DID have his own title for a while. Jurgens is also a questionable inclusion as he didn't get to actually write Peter Parker, but despite when it happens his Spider-Man stuff is really a notch above. Quite a shame.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    He's at a low point for me at the moment, just because things are taking forever, and some of his plots are rather dull. But I liked his Kraven story and outside of oblique Abomination from 2004 references he's been really quite good at setting the canon back to places it should be instead of the garbage Slott was pushing. Overall I'd say he's one of the lower tier writers, but that's a general improvement over what we've been getting. My current list of major SM writers....

1) Lee
    2) David
    3) DeMatteis
    4) Stern
    5) JMS
    6) Conway
    7) Wolfman
    8) Bendis
    9) Micheline
    10) DeFalco
    11) Jurgens
    12) Mantlo
    13) Guggenheim
    14) Wells
    15) Spencer
    16) O'Neil
    17) McFarland
    18) Mackie
    19) Gale
    20) Slott

McFarland being a major writer is a bit of a stretch but, eh....he DID have his own title for a while. Jurgens is also a questionable inclusion as he didn't get to actually write Peter Parker, but despite when it happens his Spider-Man stuff is really a notch above. Quite a shame.
    I agree Slott belongs on the Bottom. But Wolfman in 7th place? I would rank Spencer above him. Why? The way he writes MJ, and the Gibbon story which is a modern classic. I would put my top 5 1: Ditko/Lee. 2: Conway. 3: Stern. 4: Romita/Lee. 5: DeFalco. I have to say, Despite Clone Saga. I am probably rank Conway higher then most because I loved ASM 121-122 ( ASM 122 is my second favorite comic book ever only behind ASM 33) and his version of Renew Your Vows. I would also note the criminally underrated Hulk story and creating Punisher.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 01-12-2021 at 04:47 PM.

I think a strong point about Spencer's run so far at least has been the characterization of pretty much every cast member, that was something a lot of people noticed early on in the run. Everybody feels right and acts like how you'd want them to in relation to how they've been for most of the publication history.

I think post OMD while the stories imo were fine for the most part you could tell the writers had to jump through some hoops to backtrack and make most characters act slightly contradictory to how they'd been prior because there was such a hard pivot in status quo, I think that carried through with some of Slott's character choices honestly but it feels like it's smoothing out with Spencer. That's a plus for me with his run, where while for the most part I've read Spidey the last decade, this is the first time again where it feels more like the version I was reading before that.

imho, the ranking is:

1) Stern
    2) Lee
    3) DeMatteis
    4) David
    5) DeFalco
    6) Michelinie
    7) JMS
    8) Wolfman
    9) Conway
    10) maybe Spencer?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I think a strong point about Spencer's run so far at least has been the characterization of pretty much every cast member, that was something a lot of people noticed early on in the run. Everybody feels right and acts like how you'd want them to in relation to how they've been for most of the publication history.

I think post OMD while the stories imo were fine for the most part you could tell the writers had to jump through some hoops to backtrack and make most characters act slightly contradictory to how they'd been prior because there was such a hard pivot in status quo, I think that carried through with some of Slott's character choices honestly but it feels like it's smoothing out with Spencer. That's a plus for me with his run, where while for the most part I've read Spidey the last decade, this is the first time again where it feels more like the version I was reading before that.
    I couldn't agree more with this statement. Spencer is working under apparent limitations due to Editorial Mandate (there is no way he can have MJ and Peter get married again or likely even engaged, for example). That said, he's done a great job making Spider-Man fun to read once more.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

I dont know about that last one. He's been teasing that ring for a while now and there can always be editorial changes! I bet there will be an engagement and of course things can happen and would drag the idea of a wedding for the longest time. The biggest difference is that Miles is around this time and for younger generations and dont need to have Peter try to stay young and the latest issue proves that Spencer is starting to age the character and make him more aware of his actions and want to protect and be there for those close to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    I dont know about that last one. He's been teasing that ring for a while now and there can always be editorial changes! I bet there will be an engagement and of course things can happen and would drag the idea of a wedding for the longest time. The biggest difference is that Miles is around this time and for younger generations and dont need to have Peter try to stay young and the latest issue proves that Spencer is starting to age the character and make him more aware of his actions and want to protect and be there for those close to him!
    I'm highly skeptical at this point that Marvel Editorial will EVER let Peter and MJ get married or even engaged again, regardless of the existence of Miles. To do so would be "admitting defeat" which certain people are not prepared to do (or so my sources tell me). I hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt I am.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-13-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm highly skeptical at this point that Marvel Editorial will EVER let Peter and MJ get married or even engaged again, regardless of the existence of Miles. To do so would be "admitting defeat" which certain people are not prepared to do (or so my sources tell me). I hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt I am.

Well when it happens can look back on this moment and laugh and cheer, but mostly laugh, because it's time to move on and the wheel are turning to a positive direction

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Well when it happens can look back on this moment and laugh and cheer, but mostly laugh, because it's time to move on and the wheel are turning to a positive direction
    I'd be shocked if it happens anytime soon (or in the foreseeable future). I'll leave it at that as this thread shouldn't be derailed by talk of OMD (far too many are).

Spectacular Member

Okay but guys has Spencer actually had any good arcs? I know the general vibe of the run is working for people and I don't want to **** on that, but have any of the individual arcs been good enough to merit revisiting anytime soon? Hunted was maybe the closest but golly I'll take Grim Hunt over it every time. Last Remains has been a catastrophe and retroactively made Sins Rising, which I really had thought was the peak of the run so far, into nothing but a preamble for the wet fart that was Last Remains.

I mean I guess the Spider-Man Trivia/Bar with No Name Two-Parter was fun but Spencer's "lows" might not have been so bad so far (though again, Last Remains is a D- story line if there ever was one) but he also has had zero "highs"

But hey, Pete and MJ are together so the run HAS to be good right? (I love Peter and MJ together...but I think too many people on this board are excusing the mediocrity of the run just because editorial let Spencer put Pete and MJ back together).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Okay but guys has Spencer actually had any good arcs? I know the general vibe of the run is working for people and I don't want to **** on that, but have any of the individual arcs been good enough to merit revisiting anytime soon? Hunted was maybe the closest but golly I'll take Grim Hunt over it every time. Last Remains has been a catastrophe and retroactively made Sins Rising, which I really had thought was the peak of the run so far, into nothing but a preamble for the wet fart that was Last Remains.

I mean I guess the Spider-Man Trivia/Bar with No Name Two-Parter was fun but Spencer's "lows" might not have been so bad so far (though again, Last Remains is a D- story line if there ever was one) but he also has had zero "highs"

But hey, Pete and MJ are together so the run HAS to be good right? (I love Peter and MJ together...but I think too many people on this board are excusing the mediocrity of the run just because editorial let Spencer put Pete and MJ back together).
    Back to Basics, Heist and Sins Rising are my picks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post

The only Spencer Run stories that were actually good were the Jameson ones. Otherwise his run has been repetitive and mediocre.

Mighty Member

I've enjoyed most of his run.
    Although the one at the bar, Hunted and Last Remains have been personal favourites.
    Honestly, the only one I didn't really enjoy was the 2099 arc.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The only Spencer Run stories that were actually good were the Jameson ones. Otherwise his run has been repetitive and mediocre.
    The first JJJ story is one of my favorites for sure from this run.

That, the opening arc, and the Gog story for me so far.