Stern
    Conway
    de Matteis
    Wolfman
    DeFalco
    Micheline
    Mackie

Spencer is not for me.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Still premature to rank him IMHO. Because then the thing becomes is the Kindred Saga going to be the entire culmination of his run or is he going to keep on the book well past it? I mean we kind of learned from Slott's run that anything is possible here.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Mighty Member

I have a hard time ranking Spencer or any other writer for that matter. But put it this way, I don't think his stories are as good as Slott's from Big Time to Superior, but he is better than Slott post Superior.
    Some issues are a perfect example of a 7/10, which is what I'll give Spencer.
    And while I'm loving Last Remains, I feel some individual issues are better than others.
    If anything, pacing is really killing Spencer's book, and with there not being a spin off title, I feel there's a lot of potential being left to the side.
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing a spin off book like Friendly neighborhood which focuses on Peter Parker while Amazing focuses on Spider-man.

As it stands, I think the book is about something, which is what Amazing has been missing for a while. It's not a series of episodic adventures, but more of a serial with a continuing narrative.
    In that case, I don't think I can properly judge this run until it's over

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I have a hard time ranking Spencer or any other writer for that matter. But put it this way, I don't think his stories are as good as Slott's from Big Time to Superior, but he is better than Slott post Superior.
    Some issues are a perfect example of a 7/10, which is what I'll give Spencer.
    And while I'm loving Last Remains, I feel some individual issues are better than others.
    If anything, pacing is really killing Spencer's book, and with there not being a spin off title, I feel there's a lot of potential being left to the side.
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing a spin off book like Friendly neighborhood which focuses on Peter Parker while Amazing focuses on Spider-man.

As it stands, I think the book is about something, which is what Amazing has been missing for a while. It's not a series of episodic adventures, but more of a serial with a continuing narrative.
    In that case, I don't think I can properly judge this run until it's over
    I never understand why people think that they can't have both episodic adventures AND story arcs. Major AND minor moments. Why does everything only have to be one thing or the other? Why can't we just have one book with everything in it?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Jurgens is also a questionable inclusion as he didn't get to actually write Peter Parker, but despite when it happens his Spider-Man stuff is really a notch above. Quite a shame.
    When did Jurgens write Spider-Man? Or are you just talking about Spidey guest appearances in other books like Thor?
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    When did Jurgens write Spider-Man? Or are you just talking about Spidey guest appearances in other books like Thor?
    He wrote like the first 7 issues of Sensational Spider-Man, back then where Reilly remplaced Peter.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I never understand why people think that they can't have both episodic adventures AND story arcs. Major AND minor moments. Why does everything only have to be one thing or the other? Why can't we just have one book with everything in it?
    Different books to focus on different themes and ideas.
    Seeing how there are People who like the soap opera side of Spider-man, a side book with all that happening is something that's nice to have

And I'm not against the idea of either episodic or serialised, in fact Spencer's is a mixture of both.
    However there's an underlying theme that has been passing through his run.
    That's the love between Peter and Mary-Jane. The fact that the first issue references 'To have and to hold', the wedding ring, Kindred's relationship with MJ. It's all about Peter and MJ's love.

Last Remains doesn't reference One More Day because it's a big retcon, it references One More Day because it's the last time we got a married Peter.
    Kraven's Last Hunt was the first story after the wedding (it was also used to clear up Kraven being alive, so maybe I'm reading too much into that).

Spencer's run is a serialised run disguised as an episodic run. Some stories are there to just be fun adventures, but this is a love story at heart.

For that reason, I believe this is part of the reason why year 2 wasn't as great. MJ was gone for about 20 issues, appearing only as reference to her own comic.