Thread: Ferdinand

Default Ferdinand

WW ferdinand-design-a-1 2.jpg

WW FERDINAND.jpg

WW FERDINAND ELKZt9zU0AECzOM.jpg

I've never seen anyone say they don't like Ferdinand. He fits in Wonder Woman's mythology seamlessly, he has a great design, a winning personality and is a formidable ally. He helped bring Diana back from the brink of madness in Rebirth. He cameoed in Bloodlines and had his own one shot story partially due to his popularity. So why does he appear in the comic so infrequently? He should be a mainstay as much as Steve, Etta and Hippolyta, but we rarely see him.

There aren't that many writers who have used him. Basically, it's Rucka and Wilson. Mairghread Scott used him in Bloodlines, but she has not worked with Wonder Woman otherwise.

Like many other bit characters, I think Ferdinand is a fan favourite, but he is far from the level of Steve, Etta, or Hippolyta. Even Rucka barely used him as a character. His one story as the focus was in a critter-focused anthology. Could writers use him more? Sure, but there is so much of Wonder Woman's lore, world, and characters that is both badly used and underused.

ETA: And I'd say Ferdinand is well-liked, but hardly popular. There are a whole of three threads that mention him in the title on this forum, and one of them is this.
    Last edited by kjn; 01-03-2021 at 05:05 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Should we tell DC about the furry market? ^^
    Ferdinand_Prime_Earth_001.jpg

Where is he? And why isn't he in the book?

WW FERDINAND 5.jpg

WW FERDINAND G 20.jpg

They made him less and less human, I think this was a mistake. G. Willow Wilson pairing him up with Eirene says he didn't deserve Dr. Leslie from Rucka's first run and should have stuck with his own kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Where is he? And why isn't he in the book?

WW FERDINAND 5.jpg

WW FERDINAND G 20.jpg

They made him less and less human, I think this was a mistake. G. Willow Wilson pairing him up with Eirene says he didn't deserve Dr. Leslie from Rucka's first run and should have stuck with his own kind.
    Not like there were many options? Rucka killed Ferdinands love interest and made her into an AI Doctor Cyber.

As for why Ferdinand is not in the book, im assuming its primarily because there simply has not been much call for him.
    Ruckas first run established him as a chef for the embassy and never revealed where he went after he lost his job.
    Following post crisis runs didn't have Diana in a position where a personal chef was an option.

The next writer to use the character was again, Rucka in Rebirth but while he was there to help Diana regain her memories, we never actually find out anything about what he does for a living, where he lives, or how if at all he associates with Diana in this continuity where the embassy wasnt a thing.

Wilson surprisingly does more with him than Rucka in rebirth. Having him cook for the Justice League, get a little story in an anthology, and even have Diana rely on him to help others unfamiliar with the modern world integrate into society.

There is certainly alot of potential story available to use with Ferdinand, the question though is, what would you cut to work him in?
    I hear people complaining enough as it is about Etta not getting enough moments. If he was worked into the story how would he squeeze into the current narrative? Would the writers have to remove other characters so he could get some page time? Perhaps delay one of the storylines to squeeze in a quiet moment? Cut and remove scenes to work him into the book?

Ferdinand is a great character. But Wonder Womans mythos has over a hundred supporting characters of mixed levels of story importance and character relationship. Many of which have their fans and detractors who would love to see them appear again. The current writing team seems to be sticking with a focus on Steve and Etta for her supporting cast along with Siegfried. With hints that their going to try squeezing in the Holliday girls and the Wonder Girls in down the road.

This putting aside that Wonder Woman is currently at a point in her narrative history where the Amazons are getting more of a focus and individuals amongst them such as Nubia have the potential to lend themselves to the plot in major ways. And on top of all that we have been getting villain dynamics with baddies communicating to one another and working together which also requires attention.

While Ferdinand is indeed awesome, ive no idea how he would fit into such a tight narrative thats already coming off as pretty busy with all of those elements mentioned above.

Much less other characters who also have fans
    From golden age figures such as Philip Darnell and Paula Von Gunther.
    Silver age folks like Ronno the Merboy and Mr Genro Genie.
    Mod era characters like Cathy Perkins and I-Ching.
    Bronze age figures such as Conrad Starfield, Glitch, Mother Juju and Keith Griggs.
    Post crisis characters such as Julia Kapatelis, Trevor Barnes, Myndi Mayer, Tolifhar, and the other figures from the embassy.
    And modern faces such as Maggie, Star-Blossom, Nora Nunes, and Atlantiades.

And thats not even going into characters who are not exactly supporting characters which have received plenty of demand for more appearances such as Artemis, Peng Deilan, and Exoristos.

The simple fact is that Ferdinand has alot of competition for attention and theres only so many pages of a book for them to work with.

G. Willow Wilson didn't get Ferdinand. In Rebirth Rucka had him a weary yet capable soldier and old friend of Wonder Woman's available when she needed him most. Wilson made him a passive chef again working at the Hall of Justice cooking for the Justice League. That's fine but doesn't supply a lot of story potential. Rucka's interpretation was better because it placed him at the center of the action when Diana or her team required extra muscle.

WW FERDINAND 19.jpg

I'm not asking for him to be in every other issue, once or twice a year is enough and Diana needs all the help she can get. In any event I liked his design better when he was a big man with the head of a bull as opposed to a full on anthropomorphic furry with cloven hooves. That's simply because he was more believable, human and could blend into society slightly more easily. However the new design lends itself to superheroics and is dare I say it, sexier.

WW FERDINAND 11.jpg

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Not like there were many options? Rucka killed Ferdinands love interest and made her into an AI Doctor Cyber.
    A way around this is that Dr. Anderson in the first run was named Leslie, while Dr. Cyber is named Adrianna.

In my head canon, they are sisters and Leslie is still out there waiting for a writer to do something with her that involves both Ferdinand and Dr. Cyber

G. Willow Wilson didn't get Ferdinand. In Rebirth Rucka had him a weary yet capable soldier and old friend of Wonder Woman's available when she needed him most. Wilson made him a passive chef again working at the Hall of Justice cooking for the Justice League. That's fine but doesn't supply a lot of story potential. Rucka's interpretation was better because it placed him at the center of the action when Diana or her team required extra muscle.
    Rucka didn't use Ferdinand as a fighter in his original run and rarely had him fight in his second one. Between the Amazons, the Wonder Girls, Steve, Etta and whatever other superhero is available, Diana can afford to have a few non-combatants in her supporting cast.

I'm not asking for him to be in every other issue, once or twice a year is enough and Diana needs all the help she can get. In any event I liked his design better when he was a big man with the head of a bull as opposed to a full on anthropomorphic furry with cloven hooves. That's simply because he was more believable, human and could blend into society slightly more easily.
    Not really. Neither design can blend into human society at all. The original one having a human body doesn't take away from him having the head of a bull. Both will stand out in equal amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Rucka didn't use Ferdinand as a fighter in his original run and rarely had him fight in his second one. Between the Amazons, the Wonder Girls, Steve, Etta and whatever other superhero is available, Diana can afford to have a few non-combatants in her supporting cast.

Not really. Neither design can blend into human society at all. The original one having a human body doesn't take away from him having the head of a bull. Both will stand out in equal amount.
    WW FERDINAND BRONZE.jpg

I think you're forgetting Ferdinand fighting his way through Tartarus in an effort to gain his humanity. He also protected Leslie and the Embassy staff against Medussa in Diana's absence.

WW FERDINAND BRONZE 3.jpg

It's nearly an impossible task to hide your head, but it's much harder to hide your head and your feet simultaneously while also trying to disguise the fact you're seven and a half feet tall and covered in fur.

WW FERDINAND BRONZE.jpg

I think you're forgetting Ferdinand fighting his way through Tartarus in an effort to gain his humanity. He also protected Leslie and the Embassy staff against Medussa in Diana's absence.

WW FERDINAND BRONZE 3.jpg
    Seems like I did. Still, I'd say it was rare enough that it doesn't matter if Wilson never had him doing any fighting. It's not like that's what people like or remember most about Ferdinand anyway.

It's nearly an impossible task to hide your head, but it's much harder to hide your head and your feet simultaneously while also trying to disguise the fact you're seven and a half feet tall and covered in fur.
    Given the size of his head, Ferdinand trying to hide it would only draw more attention to himself. Assuming he could even cover it up, which I doubt he could. Either way, it's kind of moot since Ferdinand didn't really do any hiding and the DC universe has all kinds of weird stuff in it that's more or less accepted.

I like all aspects of Ferdinand and think they can be reconciled within the character. He definitely should be an ongoing supporting character. Not necessarily as much as Steve and Etta, but in the supporting character tier under that.