Mighty Member

Default Star Wars lore question

So, I got Disney + yesterday, great service definitely enjoy it. So, I'm going to dive into the Star Wars lore, I'm a new fan, I've seen A New Hope and the prequels but a long time ago. Found a watching list that includes the animated shows as well. So, my question is this. I can't remember if it's Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith, but there was a character in there,I think it was a creature or part robot droid, but he had a persisting cough. I know that it got explained in the 2003 short animated how that came about, but does the Clone Wars series cover that as well?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, I got Disney + yesterday, great service definitely enjoy it. So, I'm going to dive into the Star Wars lore, I'm a new fan, I've seen A New Hope and the prequels but a long time ago. Found a watching list that includes the animated shows as well. So, my question is this. I can't remember if it's Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith, but there was a character in there,I think it was a creature or part robot droid, but he had a persisting cough. I know that it got explained in the 2003 short animated how that came about, but does the Clone Wars series cover that as well?
    That's General Grievous, and he has quite a significant role in Clone Wars.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Green Garnish is correct, the character you're thinking of is General Grievous. He appears in live action in Revenge of the Sith but debuted in animated form in the 2003 Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon which is sadly not on Disney +, but he shows up a lot on the CG Clone Wars cartoon as well which is on Disney+.

Mighty Member

Yeah I'm glad that he plays a part, but like the 2003 cartoon, does the series explain how grevius got that cough too?

Yeah I'm glad that he plays a part, but like the 2003 cartoon, does the series explain how grevius got that cough too?
    There cg cartoon never got that far in the time line, the latest season that was released just last year got up to just before the siege of Coruscant so with nothing to contradict it I'd say Grievous got his cough the same way the 2003 cartoon showed.

In the 2003 cartoon there's a moment where I think Mace sort of uses force choke on him during the kidnapping of Palpatine on Coruscant, which causes the cough. No "canon" explanation though I don't think, and he has it far earlier in the war.

Real world though I think it was to draw a pararrel to Vader's breathing; in some way Greivious's cyborg form was a less advanced prototype of the technology eventually used on Vader (The first Disney/Marvel comic series of "Vader" goes into this a bit, as Vader has a rival who is a cybernetics expert).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    In the 2003 cartoon there's a moment where I think Mace sort of uses force choke on him during the kidnapping of Palpatine on Coruscant, which causes the cough. No "canon" explanation though I don't think, and he has it far earlier in the war.

Real world though I think it was to draw a pararrel to Vader's breathing; in some way Greivious's cyborg form was a less advanced prototype of the technology eventually used on Vader (The first Disney/Marvel comic series of "Vader" goes into this a bit, as Vader has a rival who is a cybernetics expert).
    Did he have the cough in the cg cartoon? I couldn't remember if he did or not.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Did he have the cough in the cg cartoon? I couldn't remember if he did or not.
    He does.

I think Mace Windu crushing him was the explanation, but things became apocryphal all the time so Grievous by TCW was coughing earlier than when Mace crushed him. Likely because since that's how he was portrayed in ROTS it was kept for continuity despite TCW being a sequel/interquel to the 2003 series. Grievous would also debut sooner than the cough was added, so to explain why he was coughing Mace would injure him.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    He does.

I think Mace Windu crushing him was the explanation, but things became apocryphal all the time so Grievous by TCW was coughing earlier than when Mace crushed him. Likely because since that's how he was portrayed in ROTS it was kept for continuity despite TCW being a sequel/interquel to the 2003 series. Grievous would also debut sooner than the cough was added, so to explain why he was coughing Mace would injure him.
    So, it is kind of necessary then to watch the 2003 cartoon before TCW movie/series?

When Disney brought the franchise in 2012, basically a good chunk of the Expanded Universe material apart from the six films and the CG Clone Wars (Which Lucas more closely supervised) was considered noncanonical unless it could be "reworked" into Disney's approach (This is why elements like Thrawn, Darktroopers, the survival of the Emperor and Boba Fett, which were part of the original EU can still be around but they're a bit different from their original EU versions). The Clone Wars CG series is still largely considered noncanonical, and a lot of it was already contradicted by the CG series anyway.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

So, it is kind of necessary then to watch the 2003 cartoon before TCW movie/series?
    Not at all, the cg Clone Wars cartoon never references anything from the original...but if you like what you see you should watch it because it was really well done.

iMan 42s

No. The Filoni series and the 2003 don’t have to be watched back to back. It was a sequel series to it but it’s not required viewing since Filoni makes enough sense on its own.

It was the explanation where they knew Ventress from but looking past a few things it’s not a big enough deal. It is however very quick and can be found on YouTube. I think it’s maybe an hour or two.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.