Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
This kind of argument doesn't sit right with me. It's a bit like deference to tradition and by this logic, Fantastic Four shouldn't be shown to be bigger than Captain America and Namor who are as old as Marvel Comics get. Or that Red Skull should de facto be treated as a bigger threat than Doom as the older villain.
Where am I saying that I'm giving him deference by saying he's been in limbo for all these years? There's a few other characters that I think have been neglected. Where am I saying he is more important than another character? All I am saying is I'd like to see his story continue and you seem to feel the same way by suggesting he become like Marley's Ghost and wander about like some kind of cautionary tale. That's not the path I'd like to see the character take but they could at least do something

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
This has happened before it didn't work.

Roy Thomas in his Avengers runs had Hank go through multiple character names and changes - GIANT MAN, GOLIATH,- and it never stuck and in fact that's what led to Hank being diminished gradually, it took him further away from how he was introduced and it gave the character an air of being a wannabe who was insecure and wanted attention and never got it. It's what set the road for "the Slap heard 'round the Marvel Universe".
Not to get too off the track but if you believe what Shooter says, the artist misunderstood what he wanted which was that he merely wanted Hank to push Jan away. I'm a bit dubious about it but it could be true. Deadlines have always been tight in the business and there was no time for a do over.

I am well aware of all the changes Pym went through and at least he was back on track for a while as a leader/mentor in Avengers A.I. I'd rather see Hank Pym as an example of someone who succeeded in conquering his demons instead of succumbing to them.