Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Question: If this ant had the stacked mass of every Ant on Earth, but was still regular ant sized, would it be a singularity?
    To be honest, it probably wouldn’t even be neutron-star-like in density.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

So is the arena just essentially on a vacuum? That's fine if so, but is not how I ever pictured it. In fact, I always assumed it was modeled after a specific place in Star Trek for some reason until I googled it today. I basically pictured the Roman arena at high noon, barring particular exceptions you need to make, like for a vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    He certainly moves more than fast enough. Even Rebirth supes isn't taking a hit from something in the hundreds of thousands of tons range at millions of times the speed of light. By physics (which obviously don't apply to comics and such), and IMP ain't even in the same sport to what Comb-o-ant can deliver.

But... comics.
    Yeah. The sort of output from those speeds should be hella crazy, but that's not how it generally works in comics. The reason the Flash can IMP is less just that he is fast and more that he selectively chooses what physics apply to him.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Question: If this ant had the stacked mass of every Ant on Earth, but was still regular ant sized, would it be a singularity?
    Hmm... might be fun to check. Beadle is right though, nowhere near a singularity.

Some cursory research suggests that there are 1 Quadrillion ants on the planet (1,000,000,000,000,000) and they weigh on average about 10 milligrams each.

Converted into US Tons that's 1.1 million tons in an ant sized package so the density is 1.1*10^6 tons/cm3

Let me just convert that to kg/m3 to compare against stellar densities listed on wikipedia... so a smidge over 9.9*10^6 kg/m3

The crust of a neutron star, the least dense part of it is several orders of magnitude denser than that so, it's an extremely heavy ant. About the weight of a medium sized pyramid. Superman can definitely move it though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Hmm... might be fun to check. Beadle is right though, nowhere near a singularity.

Some cursory research suggests that there are 1 Quadrillion ants on the planet (1,000,000,000,000,000) and they weigh on average about 10 milligrams each.

Converted into US Tons that's 1.1 million tons in an ant sized package so the density is 1.1*10^6 tons/cm3

Let me just convert that to kg/m3 to compare against stellar densities listed on wikipedia... so a smidge over 9.9*10^6 kg/m3

The crust of a neutron star, the least dense part of it is several orders of magnitude denser than that so, it's an extremely heavy ant. About the weight of a medium sized pyramid. Superman can definitely move it though.
    Gonna pack a hell of a wallop if it goes top speed though

Gonna pack a hell of a wallop if it goes top speed though
    Just on speed, while it doesn't make much difference, I will note that big adventure kind of high balled it with his numbers.

Average peak ant speed definitely doesn't seem to be 1m/s, that's the sole preserve of Saharan Silver ants which are more than ten times faster than any other ant in the mix. Whereas more common ants, like the black ant, fire ant and harvester ant, which are way more common and therefore much more representative of what's in the mix, go at like 0.08 - 0.1 m/s.

So, without having speed metrics for all 20,000 species of ants, I'd say that this figure seems more realistic. So, let's go with something like... the composite clocks in at like the 5 times common ant speed? That's 0.4 m/s

Scale that for a factor of 1 quadrillion and we're at 400,000,000,000,000 m/s or 1.3 million times the speed of light. I don't think, Superman can hope to catch the ant. Little guy is way to fast.

Mighty Member

The ant would be definitively much faster, but i am not sure if it would not just destroy itself by crushing into him, but then again probably not if it cpuld survive moving at it's top speed in the first place.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Just on speed, while it doesn't make much difference, I will note that big adventure kind of high balled it with his numbers.
    To be fair, I did say that was the fastest ant - I didn't say that was average.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Not wishing to piss on your Weetabix, Nik, but I think this elephANT would be a bit denser than you’ve stated.

The average ant’s volume is really not 1cm^3, which it would need to be for your calculations to be correct. Doing the laziest possible google search, the first figure I came across was around 10mm^3, meaning the density would be about 100 times greater.

Of course, your general point remains entirely valid. Just being a pedant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    The ant would be definitively much faster, but i am not sure if it would not just destroy itself by crushing into him, but then again probably not if it cpuld survive moving at it's top speed in the first place.
    I found a kinetic energy calculator and had a crack at figuring out the kinetic energy the ant would have moving at top speed with my calculations for it's weight and speed.

So, it would have a kinetic energy of 18 sextillion megatons.

So that's like ten orders of magnitude above the energy output per second of the core of the sun. So... on the one hand, Superman doesn't want to get hit by it because I don't think even modern ba-nay-nays Superman can withstand that amount of energy. On the other hand, I highly doubt the ant durability, even on the scale of a quadrillion is going to scale in a way that makes it able to withstand that amount of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Not wishing to piss on your Weetabix, Nik, but I think this elephANT would be a bit denser than you’ve stated.

The average ant’s volume is really not 1cm^3, which it would need to be for your calculations to be correct. Doing the laziest possible google search, the first figure I came across was around 10mm^3, meaning the density would be about 100 times greater.

I mean, these stacked composites threads are very much the place for pedantry since it's basically mathematics the thread.

I'm an arts grad, so I'm well outside of my wheelhouse haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

Actually, if we're being really pedantic, wouldn't the stacked composite be the stacked size of all one quadrillion ants? It would be a single ant that would be...10 quadrillion cubic millimetres... man conceptualising volume is hard.

Okay, so the Empire State Building is 37 million cubic feet (37,000,000 ft3). Compo-Ant would be about one ten times larger at 353 146 667.21 cubic feet.

I feel like someone is going to mention the square cube law and then I'm going to hide under a blanket because I definitely do not have the maths for that.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-15-2021 at 04:31 AM.

Actually, if we're being really pedantic, wouldn't the stacked composite be the stacked size of all one quadrillion ants? It would be a single ant that would be...10 quadrillion cubic millimetres... man conceptualising volume is hard.

Okay, so the Empire State Building is 37 million cubic feet (37,000,000 ft3). Compo-Ant would be about one ten times larger at 353 146 667.21 cubic feet.

I feel like someone is going to mention the square cube law and then I'm going to hide under a blanket because I definitely do not have the maths for that.
    Square cube is just to explain the relationship between area and volume. You are safe here. You are in a safe space. Nobody will hurt you. Basically, having a volume that is 9 and change times larger would only have a surface area ~3 and change times larger (yes, this all assumes a sphere, get over it). So, assuming that the ant were an old skyscraper, it wouldn't be 10 times as tall or anything.

Put it another way: if you have a building that is 100m tall, 10m on a side, the volume would be 10 000 m3. To make that volume 10x bigger, maintaining the same 10:1:1 ratio of sides, the building would need to be about 215.5m tall, 21.5m per side, for a total of a bit over 100 000* m3.

*100 078.7 m3 to be exact and pedantic.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Kyle Hill did a thing on Ant Man back in 2015.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Do ants have really good and accurate jumping abilities? Because I am not sure how it climbs up Superman otherwise. Superman’s personal forcefield should block it from being able to dig in, and though this is comics, I’d question whether speed alone is able to defy gravity to the orders of magnitude the ant would. It would belike a normal human running straight up Mount Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    Do ants have really good and accurate jumping abilities? Because I am not sure how it climbs up Superman otherwise. Superman’s personal forcefield should block it from being able to dig in, and though this is comics, I’d question whether speed alone is able to defy gravity to the orders of magnitude the ant would. It would belike a normal human running straight up Mount Everest.
    That personal force field isn't a thing though, is it?