Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Cool Gwen Stacy: Spider-Gwen Appreciation 2021

Howdy Spider-Bros!

Greetings and welcome to the thread where we gush over Ghost-Spider's darn cool costume and discuss her thrilling adventures.

Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider Reading Order: https://www.howtoread.me/spider-gwen-reading-order/
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Happy New Year Gwen .

Astonishing Member

Hope Spider-Gwen like all of us have a better year. I dropped the book after giving the new creative team a go after Latour/Rodriguez.

Astonishing Member

Sucks I had to as I read Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen (Vol. 1 and 2), Spider-Gwen #0 and Spider-Gwen Annual #1 in real time. I also have two first printings of EOSV #2.

So, this drops tomorrow:

(I'm trying to give this thread some life lol.)
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    So, this drops tomorrow:

The middle image is really projecting some Rodriguez vibes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    So, this drops tomorrow:

Very much looking forward to this one.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

So I read through Gwenom vs Carnage and have some thoughts:

spoilers:
    When Jackal kidnaps Mary Jane he says that Gwen's gummi spiders have a bond to her and Gwen in turn has a bond to Mary Jane, hence he hopes infecting her will 'bridge the divide'. What the hell does that mean? An emotional bond? Cause if so any one of her friends or especially her dad would work. If it's something else I wonder what the hell he meant by that.

On the other hand I'm kinda bummed since it seems like at the end that Mary Jane is mentally conked out at the end. I thought she'd be brainwashed or have her mind altered but still have her basic characteristics, especially with that one cover having her do the famous Face it Tiger line implying it's a corrupted Mary Jane turned crazy. Instead it looks like Knull is just using her as a meatsuit and even speaking through her so this is really only personal on Gwen's side. Unless things change Earth-65 Mary Jane is essentially a non-entity since it's just her body being puppeted around without any of her personality even slightly awake.

Another thing I wish we saw more of was the situation with her roommates. We have no idea how long they've been trapped but they make mention of multiple food runs that Gwen is always the one to do. I would've loved to see a few pages of the beginning days and the subsequent zombie scenario, especially with Gwen's powers allowing her to act as an equalizer and trying to keep her roommates safe. Instead she fails to protect them and they become symbiote pawns a couple pages in.
    end of spoilers

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    So I read through Gwenom vs Carnage and have some thoughts:

spoilers:
    When Jackal kidnaps Mary Jane he says that Gwen's gummi spiders have a bond to her and Gwen in turn has a bond to Mary Jane, hence he hopes infecting her will 'bridge the divide'. What the hell does that mean? An emotional bond? Cause if so any one of her friends or especially her dad would work. If it's something else I wonder what the hell he meant by that.

On the other hand I'm kinda bummed since it seems like at the end that Mary Jane is mentally conked out at the end. I thought she'd be brainwashed or have her mind altered but still have her basic characteristics, especially with that one cover having her do the famous Face it Tiger line implying it's a corrupted Mary Jane turned crazy. Instead it looks like Knull is just using her as a meatsuit and even speaking through her so this is really only personal on Gwen's side. Unless things change Earth-65 Mary Jane is essentially a non-entity since it's just her body being puppeted around without any of her personality even slightly awake.

Another thing I wish we saw more of was the situation with her roommates. We have no idea how long they've been trapped but they make mention of multiple food runs that Gwen is always the one to do. I would've loved to see a few pages of the beginning days and the subsequent zombie scenario, especially with Gwen's powers allowing her to act as an equalizer and trying to keep her roommates safe. Instead she fails to protect them and they become symbiote pawns a couple pages in.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    At least we know how we get Earth-65 Carnage out of Em Jay, and I am hoping some of Em Jay's personality emerges within Earth-65 Carnage, enough for a more interesting --- and dramatic --- fight between her and Gwenom/Ghost-Spider while Gwen's trying to separate her from the symbiote.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Considering how often Gwen’s been drawn with dyed tips, most notably in Marvel Rising, I’m surprised she’s never actually had them in canon. Guess they didn’t want to make her too similar to Gwenpool even if she does make the style work. Speaking of style I wish she more more punk rocker stuff when a civilian since it fits with her personality and band aesthetic.

Like the comic covers on the shirt, at least. Even if Gwen once again gets the most common superpower and now has the exact same body type as Mary Jane.

Considering how often Gwen’s been drawn with dyed tips, most notably in Marvel Rising, I’m surprised she’s never actually had them in canon. Guess they didn’t want to make her too similar to Gwenpool even if she does make the style work. Speaking of style I wish she more more punk rocker stuff when a civilian since it fits with her personality and band aesthetic.

Like the comic covers on the shirt, at least. Even if Gwen once again gets the most common superpower and now has the exact same body type as Mary Jane.
    i mean were dye tips a thing back in the 70s
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i mean were dye tips a thing back in the 70s
    I was referring to Spidergwen who clearly has her world in the 2000’s.

Fantastic Member

So seeing these fanarts makes me wonder:

https://alalasp.tumblr.com/post/6395...1618304/gwenmj

https://thefatedmeeting.tumblr.com/p...dfulhapiness-a

Would a GweMJ pairing actually work considering how much more volatile and self-centered Mary Jane is in Earth-65 compared to most media? I know it's been discussed in other threads but mostly in the sense if Gwen would even reciprocate due to sexual orientation.
    Last edited by eratas123; 01-31-2021 at 09:23 AM.

So seeing these fanarts makes me wonder:

https://alalasp.tumblr.com/post/6395...1618304/gwenmj

https://thefatedmeeting.tumblr.com/p...dfulhapiness-a

Would a GweMJ pairing actually work considering how much more volatile and self-centered Mary Jane is in Earth-65 compared to most media? I know it's been discussed in other threads but mostly in the sense if Gwen would even reciprocate due to sexual orientation.
    This reminds me of that Secret Wars A-Force panel where Gwen saves Mary Jane in a homage to the Amazing Fantasy cover.

I don't think about it too deeply, but shippers gonna ship .