Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Interesting redesign. I don't think the color balance is as good with her normal look, but it doesn't look bad.

Astonishing Member

"King in Black" left us with a cliffhanger involving her world's Mary Jane becoming Carnage. When the webs are going to see the rest of that story?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    "King in Black" left us with a cliffhanger involving her world's Mary Jane becoming Carnage. When the webs are going to see the rest of that story?
    Around ITSV 2 maybe?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Around ITSV 2 maybe?
    Excuse me? What is "ITSV 2"?

Extraordinary Member

I guess they meant Into The Spider-Verse 2.

I guess they’re saying more Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider comics will be released around when the animated movie is released.

Which is around October 2022.

Extraordinary Member

Will Evans explained it perfectly

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Interesting redesign. I don't think the color balance is as good with her normal look, but it doesn't look bad.
    Maybe not, though having been through this particular artist's Tumblr before, they do make pretty interesting "Spider-Family" redesigns. 2099 is my particular favorite.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

This is just an observation of Gwen in relation to other Spiders...she got massively screwed over. In just about every Spider-Man origin Peter uses his powers for selfish gains and the catalyst for Ben's death is him ignoring a mugger. The movies made Peter sympathetic due to the mugger's victim screwing Peter over beforehand but in the comics this was more that Peter was selfish and refused to help because he didn't see any benefit to him, hence Ben's death being treated as a sort of Karma or Lesson that shapes his viewpoint for the rest of his heroic career.

Thing is Gwen avoided this fall. Her backstory (shown in the annual) had her plan to crash She-Hulk's charity wrestling competition and show off her powers, complete with an imagine spot wherein she and She-Hulk would become a celebrity action duo. But just as she's about to make it on-stage she sees a guy robbing the wrestling manager.

Now you'd think this is the moment where Gwen ignores this and learns the lesson...but she doesn't. She complains about the poor timing but ultimately goes to stop the guy anyway - likely due to being raised by a policeman father instilling a better sense of justice in her - and in doing so she indirectly saves Ben's life as well. Gwen even says that she can't believe that she was tempted by fame that badly and apologizes to a confused Ben.

So she learned her lesson. Hell, she arguably didn't even need to learn it since, unlike Peter, she did do the right thing despite there being no benefit to herself. This makes her Peter's death feel less like a lesson moment and more like the universe throwing a pie in her face for not sticking to the script. What did him turning Lizard do besides making her Wanted? She was already a hero! She didn't need to learn the responsibility lesson because when given the choice between fame and stopping some random thief she chose the latter. Yes she did save Ben but she went to stop the thief before she saw Ben was in danger, so she did absolutely everything right.

I dunno, it just seems weird to me since literally every other Spider screwed up and are indirectly responsible for their loved one's death whereas Gwen's only sin is that her best friend was jealous and had incel tendencies, which is hardly her fault. Flashbacks even show her defending Peter from bullies so it wasn't like she let the power get to her head and started ignoring him. The only other Spider who didn't have this issue was Noir (his Ben died before he got powers) but even then it was used to explain his more murderous tendencies and his scathing words did indirectly lead to Ben Urich's death so there's at least that. Gwen just got a gigantic L for no reason, as if the universe can't stand a happy, stable Spider.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    This is just an observation of Gwen in relation to other Spiders...she got massively screwed over. In just about every Spider-Man origin Peter uses his powers for selfish gains and the catalyst for Ben's death is him ignoring a mugger. The movies made Peter sympathetic due to the mugger's victim screwing Peter over beforehand but in the comics this was more that Peter was selfish and refused to help because he didn't see any benefit to him, hence Ben's death being treated as a sort of Karma or Lesson that shapes his viewpoint for the rest of his heroic career.

Thing is Gwen avoided this fall. Her backstory (shown in the annual) had her plan to crash She-Hulk's charity wrestling competition and show off her powers, complete with an imagine spot wherein she and She-Hulk would become a celebrity action duo. But just as she's about to make it on-stage she sees a guy robbing the wrestling manager.

Now you'd think this is the moment where Gwen ignores this and learns the lesson...but she doesn't. She complains about the poor timing but ultimately goes to stop the guy anyway - likely due to being raised by a policeman father instilling a better sense of justice in her - and in doing so she indirectly saves Ben's life as well. Gwen even says that she can't believe that she was tempted by fame that badly and apologizes to a confused Ben.

So she learned her lesson. Hell, she arguably didn't even need to learn it since, unlike Peter, she did do the right thing despite there being no benefit to herself. This makes her Peter's death feel less like a lesson moment and more like the universe throwing a pie in her face for not sticking to the script. What did him turning Lizard do besides making her Wanted? She was already a hero! She didn't need to learn the responsibility lesson because when given the choice between fame and stopping some random thief she chose the latter. Yes she did save Ben but she went to stop the thief before she saw Ben was in danger, so she did absolutely everything right.

I dunno, it just seems weird to me since literally every other Spider screwed up and are indirectly responsible for their loved one's death whereas Gwen's only sin is that her best friend was jealous and had incel tendencies, which is hardly her fault. Flashbacks even show her defending Peter from bullies so it wasn't like she let the power get to her head and started ignoring him. The only other Spider who didn't have this issue was Noir (his Ben died before he got powers) but even then it was used to explain his more murderous tendencies and his scathing words did indirectly lead to Ben Urich's death so there's at least that. Gwen just got a gigantic L for no reason, as if the universe can't stand a happy, stable Spider.
    Their fault was making parker an "incel", which he never was.

And that's how life is, you really out here saying Gwen has a messed up life when Peter who has been a hero for decades and still lost so many people.
    That's how life works, not every death is because you made a mistake or need to learn a lesson.Gwen's death in 616 wasn't because of Peter, he was already a hero.

And even in comics Peter has been bullied to death everyday, when he gets power he's selfish and you understand.Was Gwen bullied?, and I'm not talking about of some popular girls made fun of her.That's not close to the level Peter and many guys go through, having someone make you feel small your entire life and then getting powers, it makes sense to care for yourself because no one w/ power ever did for you.

And Peter's life even w/ Ben was tragic.His parents left him w/out ever telling why, Gwen's didn't.Also financially Gwen was always taken care off, heck she would even get special treatment because of her Dad.

616 Peter's life is far far more tragic than 65 Gwen's to the point the comparison isn't even funny.Not that such things should be compared but since you are, she's one of the lucky people in the Spider-fam(Miles is also lucky, Anya too).
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 08-26-2021 at 12:45 PM.

It is kind of ironic that the person who, on paper, would probably be the most natural Superhero (no severe emotional hangups, raised by a top cop dad) ends up being the hot mess Gwen's Spider-Woman was pre-Mcguire where the only solution to all her problems was to go to prison in...I dunno, her third or fourth year of Superheroing?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It is kind of ironic that the person who, on paper, would probably be the most natural Superhero (no severe emotional hangups, raised by a top cop dad) ends up being the hot mess Gwen's Spider-Woman was pre-Mcguire where the only solution to all her problems was to go to prison in...I dunno, her third or fourth year of Superheroing?
    That's life ain't it.
    And I feel people w/ trauma deal w/ Superhero stuff much better by what we have seen.Daredevil and (female?)Punisher had a convo about this, it's kinda disgusting and I agree w/ DD but the gal had a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I remember this from the finale of the original A-Force mini during Secret Wars. Was a fun scene there, and yeah, considering Spider-Gwen is bonded with her world's Venom symbiote for her powers now and Em Jay was the new Carnage during that King in Black tie-in mini . . .
    Yeah I'd hope that their bond that they have is something that helps Em Jay come out of it with the Carnage symbiote, or... even better, allows her to control it and bond in her own way and work with Gwen.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Yeah I'd hope that their bond that they have is something that helps Em Jay come out of it with the Carnage symbiote, or... even better, allows her to control it and bond in her own way and work with Gwen.
    Would be cool. They could be a crimefighting Spider-Duo.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    616 Peter's life is far far more tragic than 65 Gwen's to the point the comparison isn't even funny.Not that such things should be compared but since you are, she's one of the lucky people in the Spider-fam(Miles is also lucky, Anya too).
    Miles, yeah, but not Anya. Her father died not long after she became Spider-Girl, her Mom was gone before she even became Arana. She has no family left.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Miles, yeah, but not Anya. Her father died not long after she became Spider-Girl, her Mom was gone before she even became Arana. She has no family left.
    Oh sorry, I forgot about her father.