Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

They seem to be getting away with Gwen being just in general asexual/not interested in romance, so I'm not expecting much with EmJay.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    So it seems like while Knull is in control Mary Jane's own flaws and personality are still the baseline. Carnage MJ calls out Gwen for leaving her dimension behind and her friends vulnerable, thus leaving them open to get kidnapped by her enemies. Likewise more of Mary Jane's stated jealousy comes to the forefront with her ranting that she is the leading woman but Gwen had to be the one to become special and get powers while she remained normal. Again fitting the theme of Earth-65 being filled with tall poppy syndrome/crab mentality where people get a hard on for Gwen because she has superpowers.

On a lighter note I guess Gwen and Mary Jane are childhood friends now? Not gonna complain but in the original bios Glory was Gwen's best friend while it's more or less stated that she only got together with Betty and Mary Jane during high school after Betty pulled off a stunt that got her into trouble and inspired Mary Jane to make a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They seem to be getting away with Gwen being just in general asexual/not interested in romance, so I'm not expecting much with EmJay.
    Which is surprising considering even assholes like Kaine just casually get around and have love interests. Spider-Girl even had a pretty big focus on Mayday's budding relationships and even one-sided crushes.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    So it seems like while Knull is in control Mary Jane's own flaws and personality are still the baseline. Carnage MJ calls out Gwen for leaving her dimension behind and her friends vulnerable, thus leaving them open to get kidnapped by her enemies. Likewise more of Mary Jane's stated jealousy comes to the forefront with her ranting that she is the leading woman but Gwen had to be the one to become special and get powers while she remained normal. Again fitting the theme of Earth-65 being filled with tall poppy syndrome/crab mentality where people get a hard on for Gwen because she has superpowers.

On a lighter note I guess Gwen and Mary Jane are childhood friends now? Not gonna complain but in the original bios Glory was Gwen's best friend while it's more or less stated that she only got together with Betty and Mary Jane during high school after Betty pulled off a stunt that got her into trouble and inspired Mary Jane to make a band.
    I figured they'd do something like that, really drive home the personal stakes of this fight, otherwise it's just a wasted premise. I imagine Gwen's going to spend the entire fight trying to get through to MJ.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post

Which is surprising considering even assholes like Kaine just casually get around and have love interests. Spider-Girl even had a pretty big focus on Mayday's budding relationships and even one-sided crushes.
    I figured they'd do something like that, really drive home the personal stakes of this fight, otherwise it's just a wasted premise. I imagine Gwen's going to spend the entire fight trying to get through to MJ.
    Yeah. Gonna be a fun read tomorrow.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Her bringing up Earth-65 Peter's death does kind of imply she knew him too.

I guess she was off-screen for all the Gwen/Harry/Peter stuff.

Fantastic Member

The writers figured Peter and Harry mad crushing on Gwen was enough. Adding in Mary Jane and turning it to a full blown harem would’ve turned it to an anime...even if Gwen totally fits the clueless harem lead mold.

I'm hoping for the best that the story and characters will be well written, enjoyable, and be a fulfilling issue while still leave positive anticipation for the final third part of this story.
    Now not going over the characters or possible love life or futures in my post here right now as I'm very limited on time but I do want to write about the art from the previews and tiny details seen within it.
    I love the art. Love the hard work in the designs and coloring put it and has been shown thus far. I saw was unlike other Symbiotes shown on 616 or the rest of the Multiverse Gwen's Symbiote as known is made of tiny gooey spiders and now Em-Jay's has them on her as well but a new red Carnage Knull controlled transformed version spiders. The red parts extend and spread out out while it seems the lines of black stay on Em-Jay's body.

Didn't they show Peter hanging around in flashbacks when MJ was putting the band together in the first place?

Fantastic Member

Didn't they show Peter hanging around in flashbacks when MJ was putting the band together in the first place?
    Always kinda assumed they were there for Gwen and didn't know or care about the other bandmates. During Spider-Gwen only Harry and Gwen are shown mourning Peter and the flashbacks always depicted just those three hanging out. My guess is Mary Jane was aware of Peter but wasn't his friend. More a friend of a friend or acquaitance.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Honestly Gwen feels like she's in the Elsa from Frozen situation where she got a larger LGBT fanbase than anyone could have expected, the powers that be got no actual intentions on actually pulling that trigger. When Seanan Maguire got questioned about it she more or less confirmed it.

Like at this point I'm leaning towards aromantic too just because the writers have consistently shied away from putting her into any romance. That one off with Miles was played up as a heat of the moment thing with Gwen, she kind of went through the motions with Harry, and she acts more annoyed than anything else whenever MJ throws advances at her.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 02-03-2021 at 05:23 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Honestly Gwen feels like she's in the Elsa from Frozen situation where she got a larger LGBT fanbase than anyone could have expected, the powers that be got no actual intentions on actually pulling that trigger. When Seanan Maguire got questioned about it she more or less confirmed it.

But was that before or after they let Earth-65 MJ come out?

Like at this point I'm leaning towards aromantic too just because the writers have consistently shied away from putting her into any romance. That one off with Miles was played up as a heat of the moment thing with Gwen, she kind of went through the motions with Harry, and she acts more annoyed than anything else whenever MJ throws advances at her.
    Meanwhile Sony is probably going to double-down on Miles and Gwen in the sequel to Into the Spider-Verse .

Extraordinary Member

Gwen and Carnage MJ literally scissored this issue.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 02-03-2021 at 01:14 PM.

I really do think Maguire absolutely would do Spider-Gwen X MJ if she were allowed to, but Marvel said "no". The subtext is definitely there.

I really do think Maguire absolutely would do Spider-Gwen X MJ if she were allowed to, but Marvel said "no". The subtext is definitely there.
    I think she's probably fine with putting Gwen in relationships with girls. As far as Spider-Gwen X MJ, I think if she did it she'd do it to turn MJ into a Gwen cheerleader who gushes about how great she is.