Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What about Starling?
    She's another fine choice. My big thing is I don't want Miles pigeonholed by Peter's romantic past (or Peter's past in general) and pairing him with 65 Gwen smacks of that, IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-12-2021 at 07:38 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The thing is a lot of people's first exposure to Spider-Gwen was Into the Spider-Verse, which absolutely teased a romance between her and Miles. And sequels are supposed to build on what was teased in the first film.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The thing is a lot of people's first exposure to Spider-Gwen was Into the Spider-Verse, which absolutely teased a romance between her and Miles. And sequels are supposed to build on what was teased in the first film.
    That doesn't mean I have to like it.

#JustSayNoToRetreads

#JustSayNoToClones

#JustSayNoToSymbiotes

Meh..I like it and don’t see nothing wrong with it and I’m looking forward to the development

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, however, I'd prefer if Miles were shipped with Bombshell or Ms. Marvel instead. Miles deserves better than Peter's sloppy seconds (it's bad enough he's getting his own Clone Saga, IMO). I know 616 Gwen and Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider are technically different characters but it still feels shady to me as well as a little creepy.
    Miles definetly needs more original stuff.Miles and gwen is awful and I hope it is forgotten asap.It's bad for both Miles and Peter.Miles's new Barbara and Starling are rip-off's of MJ and Black cat in their dynamic.It's not good but it ain't bad either.Ms marvel is also closer to nova.Miles also needs better stories and villans.Spider man no more and now clone saga.really hope they send him back to the 1610.He was so much better there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread11 View Post
    Meh..I like it and don’t see nothing wrong with it and I’m looking forward to the development
    Mostly because spiderverse ignores Peter having a past with gwen in his world even though he is from the 616.It's a minor ploy hole but it bugs me.Also them being friends rather than a couple felt so much more natural than the standard dating.It was a great break from the norm

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    She's another fine choice. My big thing is I don't want Miles pigeonholed by Peter's romantic past (or Peter's past in general) and pairing him with 65 Gwen smacks of that, IMO.
    Miles has been pigeonholed a lot and that is why I am not a fan(among other stuff).Miles is like a teen Spider-man and thus is more of a means to an end so that they can age up Spiderman which I'm fine with.

Extraordinary Member

I posted this on the vine a while back and got not a lot of response.Can someone tell me why some people(and you) like milesSince we have some down time can someone tell me why they think miles is a good character.I think he is overrated and could write pages full as to why(I have read most of his books)but am open to change.Give me reasons why he is good and will try to counter with my opinion.

I like Miles fine, but he's just a box-ticker for me, he's going to be Peter without the growth virtually forever if Marvel can help it. I'm waiting for him to nip off to the Ultimate Universe, that's his true home and I was more invested in him back when he was there.

This!

Spiderman in the 1610 was a great character and his entire series was overall pretty good(they downplayed his strength and smart's to play into the "beaten up kid" factor, rest was great).Miles intro was pretty good but I'd argue it's because of status quo of 1610.A world where avengers are drunken idiots and X-men are full on edgy soap opera with a dead Spiderman allows for a great street level origin story.Even with all that and a legacy title I found his following series "lackluster".

He was a quippy teenage Spiderman who has trouble balancing his dual identities which is something we had gotten before(and arguably better) for both 616(old school) and 1610(modern) versions.

The differences are while 616 peter really didn't have anyone to confide in and was considered a flake by his friends and has felt like a disappointment whereas Miles not only had Ganke but rest of 1610 Pete's supporting cast who gave him a "you go girl" attitude.Spiderman was always the underdog while Miles was eagerly accepted by the Ultimates, Nick Fury, Gwen, May and MJ .

The only good stuff we get is the origin and spider man no more arc which is a copy of Spiderman's arc and arguably his best movie(they even ripped off the internal monologue).This is made even worse by the fact that now both arc's have lost a lot of their meaning as he got his mother back and this world Spiderman is alive.

Also while Spiderman's supporting cast is timeless to this day.Miles's supporting cast changes drastically preodically.His most iconic relation comes from alternate universe Gwen(which gross btw) .Having a bff in Ganke also hurts the story since we never get the "alone in the world" vibe from miles's stories.It works fine in films(although I would rather not have it in) but really doesn't in comics.Even prowler is a mantle from Pete(I don't know about Davis though).That and he is still a cliche twist even if it is well executed.

Miles has also been pushed into the champions whilst Peter got time to develop as a individual character and didn't join the Avengers(annual 3 if I remember correctly)

Also a pattern I have noticed is that for Miles to work we always have to push Pete down.This is true for all medium's.In Spiderverse we have one dead Pete and one of the if not the lowest point in his life(understand that this is to say that Peter B. Parker is not absolute perfection,which he is, the point is for the story to work we need Pete to be in a bad spot so as to validate miles character arc).In comics we get 2 Spider-men series which show peter as an inexperienced goofball of a man-child.This can be seen in the fight scenes of Miles and Peter and Miles and Peter vs Taskmaster(1610).

Also sharing the same name on the same Earth is just confusing.In the show Ultimate Spiderman he is called Kid Arachnid(he is actually likeable in the show).Bringing him into the 616 was stupid as is and has really made the character much worse.

Also giving him a Spidey-sense was something I disliked because it is popular because of it's uniqueness and giving it to other characters like Miles and Cindy detracts from that.The main problem is not only does he have all the Spider powers he also has invisibility and venom blast.I think invisibility was a good choice but would work better if it replaced spidey-sense instead being an add-on.The venom blast is the physical incarnation of the infamous Bendis force and allows him to beat people he has no business like 1610 Dr Doom , 616 Blackheart and 616 Spiderman.Although they have reigned in this ability in the recent run.

Spiderman has had many iconic moments in the first ten years(Origin,If this be my destiny,Death of Gwen Stacy, Death of green goblin, sinister six and the black suit saga to name a few) while Miles barely has one(I don't think there are any but maybe I missed something ) even though he has had much more of a spotlight and content as compared to Pete.

I just feel like there are so many more characters that I would love to be given this attention rather than Miles.Blue marvel,Shang Chi(when done right),Blade,Monica Rambeau, Misty Knight.Hell even Cindy and Miguel have so much potential.

I'll close this off by saying that Miles has a lot in common with Pete (but I feel Pete's stories show these) and what they have different Pete usually has better.This makes me feel like Miles is more of a box-ticker(as said above) rather than a good character.

Please tag some Miles fans to this since I would love to debate this.I don't know anyone here who is a die-hard Miles fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Mostly because spiderverse ignores Peter having a past with gwen in his world even though he is from the 616.It's a minor ploy hole but it bugs me.Also them being friends rather than a couple felt so much more natural than the standard dating.It was a great break from the norm
    The numbers they give to the different Earths in Into the Spider-Verse are homages. These are not the same versions as the ones from the comics.

Spider-Gwen just got nominated for a Hugo (big sci-fi/fantasy award): https://locusmag.com/2021/04/2021-hu...rds-finalists/

The numbers they give to the different Earths in Into the Spider-Verse are homages. These are not the same versions as the ones from the comics.
    Yeah, due to the duplication, the Marvel Database wiki lists the Into the Spider-Verse cast with unofficial Temporary Reality Numbers (TRN-700 to 706), which will be retained until a handbook or comic issue assigns their worlds official new numbers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaeus View Post
    Spider-Gwen just got nominated for a Hugo (big sci-fi/fantasy award): https://locusmag.com/2021/04/2021-hu...rds-finalists/
    Good for her. I hope she wins. Although I vastly prefer the OG run when things were Earth-65 centric to her current mainly 616 centric stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Cool Cool.Still would have been a cool moment to see Peter and gwen acknowledge each other since they are such an important part of each others stories(origins).

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Cool Cool.Still would have been a cool moment to see Peter and gwen acknowledge each other since they are such an important part of each others stories(origins).
    Peter B. is clearly based off of the Raimi Spider-Man (to the point that the producers even considered casting Tobey Maguire before deciding against the idea). Gwen means nothing to him. (You don't need to bring up the kiss in Spider-Man 3.)

I don’t have any issue with pairing Spider-Gwen with Miles. Spider-Gwen is for all intents and purposes a separate character to 616 Gwen Stacy who basically only shares with her a name, blonde hair with a headband, and the fact her dad is a police captain named George Stacy. Spider-Gwen otherwise has a entirely different personality, life, and interests, etc to 616 Gwen Stacy.

The best comparison I can think of to the Spider-Gwen and 616 Gwen Stacy being different versions of the same character but also basically different characters entirety is the whole deal with Ultimate Jessica Drew and 616 Jessica Drew, who are also different versions of the same character but also two separate characters entirely.

Spider-Gwen has never been with Peter romantically, she’s only ever been with Miles, so I see no issue with the pairing since it’s literally the only one Spider-Gwen has ever had.
    Last edited by Nerdman3000; 04-13-2021 at 08:21 PM.