Page 52 of 104 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Gerry Conway confirmed it.

There were no plans at all to marry Peter and Gwen at that time. And the alternative to death was breakup. Gwen hated Spider-Man and that wasn’t resolved at the time of her death so it’s unlikely it would have happened.
    gotcha wonder how the mj and peter relationship worked then
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    gotcha wonder how the mj and peter relationship worked then
    Call it fate...

Extraordinary Member

There were no plans at all to marry Peter and Gwen at that time. And the alternative to death was breakup. Gwen hated Spider-Man and that wasn’t resolved at the time of her death so it’s unlikely it would have happened.
    An interview(I can't remember the name of the person being interviewed for the love of god) stated that the plan was to marry Peter and Gwen but everyone like MJ better.And that's such a big flex

This reminds me of the various descriptions for how Gwen's death came about.

One critical aspect that made HoM Gwen Stacy different is that her father didn't die. Also Pete managed to buy a mansion for Pete, Gwen, Richard(baby), George, May and Ben to live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Agree with the first half.
    What do you mean by the second half with green goblin
    At some point HoM Peter Parker used the Green Goblin identity... even learned to pilot a Goblin Glider!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    One critical aspect that made HoM Gwen Stacy different is that her father didn't die. Also Pete managed to buy a mansion for Pete, Gwen, Richard(baby), George, May and Ben to live in.
    At some point HoM Peter Parker used the Green Goblin identity... even learned to pilot a Goblin Glider!
    Yeah, that's pretty important

That's cool, Thanks.He does know how to use gliders in 616 IIRC, he even made one of his own.

BANNED

An interview(I can't remember the name of the person being interviewed for the love of god) stated that the plan was to marry Peter and Gwen but everyone like MJ better.And that's such a big flex
    After Gwen died, marvel trotted out many excuses to make fans go away because of the backlash to Gwen’s death (which had more to do with how it was framed then Gwen’s death herself). These excuses are just that, excuses. Not reflecting behind the scenes stuff. One of them was this idea of them getting married but nobody actually working on Spider-Man had plans to marry them. Romita Sr. was de facto editor of Spider-Man and didn’t have plans for it. Stan Lee didn’t care. And Conway absolutely wasn’t for it.

If Peter and Gwen broke up, most likely she would have not had the elevated reputation she had after she died. She would likely have been seen the way Betty Brant is seen today. Peter and MJ start dating anyway and it gels with them. Maybe a later writer will come in and fix her character or make her a villain who knows.

You look at Daredevil comics. Karen Page was a flaky blonde girlfriend developed by Stan Lee written out of books and forgotten until Frank Miller wrote Born Again. Now I don’t think or hope something that extreme could happen with Gwen but it’s one example of how it might have gone.

After Gwen died, marvel trotted out many excuses to make fans go away because of the backlash to Gwen’s death (which had more to do with how it was framed then Gwen’s death herself). These excuses are just that, excuses. Not reflecting behind the scenes stuff. One of them was this idea of them getting married but nobody actually working on Spider-Man had plans to marry them. Romita Sr. was de facto editor of Spider-Man and didn’t have plans for it. Stan Lee didn’t care. And Conway absolutely wasn’t for it.

If Peter and Gwen broke up, most likely she would have not had the elevated reputation she had after she died. She would likely have been seen the way Betty Brant is seen today. Peter and MJ start dating anyway and it gels with them. Maybe a later writer will come in and fix her character or make her a villain who knows.

You look at Daredevil comics. Karen Page was a flaky blonde girlfriend developed by Stan Lee written out of books and forgotten until Frank Miller wrote Born Again. Now I don’t think or hope something that extreme could happen with Gwen but it’s one example of how it might have gone.
    I think this is where Spider-Gwen came in. alt-U Gwen where they could write her character in more depth.

BANNED

I think this is where Spider-Gwen came in. alt-U Gwen where they could write her character in more depth.
    A version of Gwen who was never a love interest for Peter either in her AU or with 616 who is older than her anyway.

Spider-Gwen confirms 616 Gwen’s dead end status.

A version of Gwen who was never a love interest for Peter either in her AU or with 616 who is older than her anyway.

Spider-Gwen confirms 616 Gwen’s dead end status.

(Warning this post is longer then I intended when I began typing so I understand if nobody reads this aka TLDR. If anything just skip to the last 2 paragraphs I wrote.)

I don't believe any character is a 'Dead-End'. Some might require some fresh sparked ideas, work, relationships (not just romantic but all forms of the word), time, & well done writing but all characters have the opportunity to continue foward from many writers just as very popular and tons of potential current characters can find themselves going backwards in derailments or non use by writers.

My favorite 'Gwen Stacy' when I think of who was my 1st favorite of the many (some at the time I didn't even know existed till later) that would be that of the Animated Spectacular Spider-Man's version 'Gwen Stacy'. That 'Gwen' version wasn't my first 'Gwen Stacy' I saw (that would be 90's Animated Spider-Man technically) yet the one that stood out to me first in my mind.

I'm also a fan of Earth-65 Gwen but was also a fan of or became a fan of a couple of more Gwen Stacys while also NOT a fan of a few other Gwen versions yet any version can rise or fall by how they are written, could be written, and many other factors. The same goes for 'MJ' versions presented that some I love, loved, and others I don't think about leaving a neutral impression in me. Same goes for basically all variants/versions and ideas of different characters that in time I've come to experience in some form. I will say 'Gwen Stacy' in the Multiverse has had a wider variety of versions it seems so far in the grand scheme of various character versions presented in the Multiverse made by writers. This in comparison to a few other characters that has Multiverse versions yet mostly seems to be mostly 'copy and paste' versions of 616 versions and history or what the general public expects of major characters thus little deviations vs experimenting with the fully possibilities a Multiverse concepts brings.

That was till Amazing Spider-Man movies came out to the General Audiences and Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy had a larger role & impact compared to past Gwens versions outside of possible Spectacular Spider-man. Comics are 'niche market' but movies have a wider audience thus TV and movies as well as consent merchandising visuals can set a tone or direction more then even the comics that inspired it all. (raise your hand if you seen tons or reviewers complain or assume a character or two was being OOC when you feel they are being comic accurate just not what a non-comic reader might of been trained to expect from the past)
    Soon Earth-65 Gwen came to be and exploded from many factors (I'm not going into as I wrote more then planned already).

Now it feels to me that writers will follow Amazing/616 hybrid or 65 versions if new Multiverse Gwen versions are made as of present as they are what the public expects and have gotten use to thus the 'target audience' to consider and cater to. In the past before Amazing Spider-Man 'Gwen Stacy' as a whole 'Gwen' was a 'niche comic' character (bigger then some others but still comic characters are niche) and even for late 80's to 2010 many comicbook fans might of know of her general history but didn't feel that emotional lock/connection towards her to the point if a new Multiverse 'Gwen' was presented some people might not care if a writer try to experiment possibly with various results due to that freedom.

Now JUST concerning the presented version of 616 Gwen that we did get into existence that 616 version Gwen for me personality right now falls in the middle of the road of rankings for my in subjuctive persoanl feelings/views of 'Gwen Stacys' versions within the presented Multiverse.
    That said if other possibilities was to be written and published instead of what we got currently for the '616 Gwen' (as of this current post as in 'comics' anything goes if it can be imagined up) fate who knows? What if the past writers went to a new road how would I feel and the results?

What would I have been writing about the 616 version of Gwen and what inspirations that would of came about, how in a domino & butterfly effect such tales changed from who Marvel hired to write storylines due to that one pivot that cascade changes for fiction and nonfiction? What new writers thus new voices by in various comics and more?

'What If' real life Gerry when deciding to go out at 1 point in his life possibly making a choice for 'Pizza' or a 'Hot Dog' for lunch where we so happen to live in the Pizza selected Multiverse version some unknown Multiverse real life Gerry went for a Hot Dog instead and doing so met a fan or saw something on a wall that help spark in his subconsciousness to a new idea for 616 Gwen beyond death. Not dying 616 Gwen is 'Put on a Bus' by Gerry but then used by another writer which that work is seen as a masterpiece. This Hot Dog Lunch moment has further results down the line in our 616 history and our life beyond comics such as now... Steve Rogers is Venom for 1 year somehow vs Flash because.... MJ kicks Mephisto but ... Tom King never wrote The Vision but wrote the Scarlet Witch... Danny DeVito was the Wolverine... Gwen becomes the new Venom and marries She-Hulk/Betty ... the Mets won a World Series in the past 20 years because a opposing pitcher had trouble focusing on a game due to reading a amusing comic tale before the game that came into existence & stuck in his mind... MJ and Peter still married somehow but it was even later in real comics history and Gwen herself walked MJ down the aisle... instead of Shea Stadium they went to Yankee Stadium (as Shea was booked) for some promo pictures that influenced some fans to host a big NY Comic Con there when the Yankees wasn't playing and then that ... you have won the lotto because... "Alligator Loki kills the Marvel Universe but left Howard the Human Alive" is 2007's biggest hit... I-Pear 12 phone... WDW today costs somehow only $200 dollars for a 7 day trip... and ect all because real life Gerry decided to eat a 'Hot Dog' vs a 'Pizza' for Lunch.

In short it's fun to speculate and even go absolute mad wild on "What If's". But we must remind ourselves it's 'speculations' and never '100% fact' plus possible of a missing context or different interpretations out there. We hope such "What Ifs" of any kind when written by a writer who can control aspects of a universe, characterizations, and developments have a level of control and is done well. But as of real life events and history it has been shown many times bizarrely wild and stranger then fiction.

Lastly speculation and imagination to wider possibilities is a great fun mental training of our brain's imagination but reality applying that to real life "What If's" any road could of been traveled and branched. We would never know 100% the outcomes of that as they don't exist for us and in the end I feel that outside of fun, exercising our brain, fanfictions AUs, or being a career writer that writes "What If' tales we can never write with any certain how any character or events or real life events in the company itself and to us itself would of unfolded greatly in the short or long run & future.

For me all characters and their versions can be written to go in any directions + uses by many variety of writers with wide results thus no character version to me is a 'Dead-End' when the wide wonders of imagination is put in.
    However I do feel that a certain character version or two might find themselves becoming very popular effecting writer's and General Public's Tough 'Subconsciousness Psychological & Emotional Lock' getting put into place towards that version or two. Such that effecting possible writer's ideas or even more so that of the Business side of Entertainment that has to approve of various ideas to writers and they don't want to alienate certain target audiences with expectations of some characters. In this case for 'Gwen Stacy' now made versions it's either 65 or 616/Amazing movie series tailored Gwens now.
    Unpopular and/or Niche characters have psychological freedoms for experimentations from writers with less fallout felt vs Popular and General audience shown expectations that will need alot of well made work/setup & time for writers to created a character shift they hope to create that feels natural and won't create a backlash/alienation even if it's a new Multiverse presented character.

Very last thing as this is a MJ Appreciation thread I do enjoy a respectful healthy views influenced by many factors I would like to get the subject back towards MJ (love both 'Gwens' and 'MJs' versions and creative AU ideas from many + love to write my feelings & ideas for them but many times of a Gwen version thread it become about a 'MJ(s)' and here it becomes about a 'Gwen(s)' often as many understandably will instinctively give comparisons or other that can take over a thread).
    I adore going to a Gwen or MJ thread to discover amazing fanart of talented artists or professional career artworks made that I've never seen and would of missed if not for a poster showing us the work. Anybody have anything they seen that maybe we can enjoy of MJ (MJ herself, part of the cast, or whatever but still MJ within or centered creations) from an rising artist or just recently made yet not shown here?

Extraordinary Member

God I hate how they use her in 616 for college.
    You already killed her off, this is like bringing back a character but in name only.The character itself is wildly different, even in universe character like Kindred have said so.She's gwen in name only.
    Can we go back to multiversal Spiders going back to their home dimensions after crossovers please.

Anyways back to MJ.What do you think Kindred's got planned for her

Mighty Member

Stan Lee said those things
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqRdAZED9Y
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

God I hate how they use her in 616 for college.
    You already killed her off, this is like bringing back a character but in name only.The character itself is wildly different, even in universe character like Kindred have said so.She's gwen in name only.
    Can we go back to multiversal Spiders going back to their home dimensions after crossovers please.

Anyways back to MJ.What do you think Kindred's got planned for her
    Will her movie do well?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Thank you, I wanted to say that but I wasn't sure and didn't want to spread false info.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Will her movie do well?
    I hope they address in the aftermath, but since even OMD aftermath isn't gonna happen instead we will go straight to Beyond none of that will be addressed.
    Everytime I think about Beyond the worse it gets.