Page 25 of 104 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

You know an interesting "What If...?" story I would like to read? A story where, instead of Cindy Moon, the person who the radioactive spider bit after Peter Parker was Mary Jane. With MJ's natural sense for fashion, she could make excellent clothes out of silk. And I think it would be interesting to see how the "animal attraction" between Silk and Spider-Man would have affected their relationship.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    You know an interesting "What If...?" story I would like to read? A story where, instead of Cindy Moon, the person who the radioactive spider bit after Peter Parker was Mary Jane. With MJ's natural sense for fashion, she could make excellent clothes out of silk. And I think it would be interesting to see how the "animal attraction" between Silk and Spider-Man would have affected their relationship.
    Interesting idea. Although the animal attraction stuff sounds a little unsettling

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Interesting idea. Although the animal attraction stuff sounds a little unsettling
    That's because it was. In-story, Peter was rather disturbed by his inability to control himself around Cindy/Silk, and Silk's surprisingly flippant attitude about it and even threatening to use it against him at one point didn't help matters, either. Hell, the way Dan Slott handled her introduction as a character in general didn't help matters at all. Thankfully, once she ended up in the hands of a different writer who actually cared to develop her as a character, she improved considerably.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's because it was. In-story, Peter was rather disturbed by his inability to control himself around Cindy/Silk, and Silk's surprisingly flippant attitude about it and even threatening to use it against him at one point didn't help matters, either. Hell, the way Dan Slott handled her introduction as a character in general didn't help matters at all. Thankfully, once she ended up in the hands of a different writer who actually cared to develop her as a character, she improved considerably.
    Yeah, I've always been wary of her and others' "attraction powers"

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, I've always been wary of her and others' "attraction powers"
    Particularly since it tends to invoke very thorny issues regarding consent.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Particularly since it tends to invoke very thorny issues regarding consent.
    Exactly. And especially problematic nowadays

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Peter earned his respect. No matter that he deals with the stress with humor and quips...he is well respected as a hero.

And an editorial mandate is what it would take...but it seems like editors are just there in name only most of the time and let writers do pretty much whatever they want...no matter how bad.
    Amen to the respect stuff.
    Also editorial to me is less of people and more of a (stupid) set of rules.Some are reasonable like Spider-man can't be shown to drink beer but others like Spider-man can't grow up or have kids is horrible considering they lead to stuff like OMD,SP etc.

Extraordinary Member

I guess he did. But I've never really gotten into the idea of "earning it" in superhero universes. Peter mainly operates in one city, so idk how much respect he even merits next to guys like the Avengers.

It seems like editors can be heavy handed when they want to, like making Avengers and X-Men fight each other, or keeping any of these characters from aging. It seems more the intention of the mandate, rather than the level of it, which is the problem
    Well he started in queens and then went on to take care of entire new york witch is basically 99% of the world in MU.He also helps with avengers business a lot specially these days and has had his fair share of international and intergalactic adventures.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Also editorial to me is less of people and more of a (stupid) set of rules.Some are reasonable like Spider-man can't be shown to drink beer but others like Spider-man can't grow up or have kids is horrible considering they lead to stuff like OMD,SP etc.
    I would like the Peter Parker can't drink actually referenced with an in universe reason. Whether it causes issues with his physiology or he just made a personal choice to not do so.

Personally thought I have no problem with showing Pete having a class of champagne at a wedding toast or the like.

Extraordinary Member

I would say Slott made the right choice with having Silk to be okay with it(surprised to agree with him) but having Cindy be opposed to it would lead to way to many issues especially these days.usually men consent is ignored(which is disgusting btw).One example is Batgirl Joker gets so much **** for impyling it but Nightwing got straight forced(twice once was his first time and then once on after blockbuster death) and they both get swept under the pillow.Also nightwing with the girl who was "invading his personal space" and Spider-man with the queen.

Silk is okay imo but due to having way to many spider-characters in the 616 and in general it takes away from her.I hate how dan slott made her a mary sue and made Spider-man into a dumbass(more so than usual slott spidey).Also she is inconsistent in her and peter's pheromone problem and more importantly in her attitude.Sometimes she is just rude to peter and makes fun of his quips when she makes worse ones(imo).I do like the run where she avoids him at first but then comes clean and gets advice from cindy.That cindy was great but the one in Spider-fly effect was trash.
    I like her solo so far,but we need a peter to appear since she works at TnM and Peter has a lot of pull there(Norah, Jonah, his own experience and carrier,Spider-mans streaming ).Also hector and that stuff is unnecessary and doesn't make sense to me.I hope they don't do the new character boyfriend because that worked terribly for jess.Just keep her single and slightly flirty with pete but just good friends.Maybe explore a new relationship a couple years later

they are too attached to the character they were reading as kids
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Ultimate Member

Well he started in queens and then went on to take care of entire new york witch is basically 99% of the world in MU.He also helps with avengers business a lot specially these days and has had his fair share of international and intergalactic adventures.
    I guess so. It doesn't help how obsessed Marvel is with New York

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    They need to detach themselves, then

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I think its more that they think we the audience is attached to him as a kid.Not the minority that speak about their opinions(on any platform) but the majority that just buys the comics.It's like a twisted version of if it ain't broke but they loose dedicated enthusiastic fans because they are afraid that the change will loose them their casual audience

Extraordinary Member

I guess so. It doesn't help how obsessed Marvel is with New York

If there is one hero who will always be a new york classic its Spider-man.They need to move some heroes outside the city and the USA in general and make the new ones from international backgrounds

Extraordinary Member

If there is one hero who will always be a new york classic its Spider-man.They need to move some heroes outside the city and the USA in general and make the new ones from international backgrounds
    I liked that about Ant-Man...he was down in Miami. Or when Kate Bishop was in L.A.