Page 40 of 104 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    MJ is in Heroes Reborn #7

She was married to Blur, but One More Day still happens.
    More and more I am wishing Peter was in the main story to help take Mephisto's Meat Puppets down.

Extraordinary Member

God this stuff pisses me off.i don't mind an OMD but do it with his love interest.
    This makes no sense since Blur(while he admires spidey) is nothing like him.
    Also Spidey was the one that caused OMD, MJ was the victim.It Spidey's unmaksing,his aunt getting shot,etc.MJ literally did nothing.
    Also Mary Jane Stewart........ No just no.
    She kept her sir-name and that made sense even though Mary Jane Parker is still good.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 06-16-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Aaron had too much fun with this...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    More and more I am wishing Peter was in the main story to help take Mephisto's Meat Puppets down.
    Yup.
    I hate how his story of in HR is just he will always be a nerd who takes photos.
    Like people change from high school to adulthood.It sends a horrible message.
    Again I'm not talking about his looks but his life.He is one of the best scientists of his generation.He still lost his aunt May while he was busy watching with a drone,if not for the bite he would have delved into science and funded the police or something.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Yup.
    I hate how his story of in HR is just he will always be a nerd who takes photos.
    Like people change from high school to adulthood.It sends a horrible message.
    Again I'm not talking about his looks but his life.He is one of the best scientists of his generation.He still lost his aunt May while he was busy watching with a drone,if not for the bite he would have delved into science and funded the police or something.
    Agree...and with what happened in Shutterbug...becoming a human/alien bug hybrid could have been a way for him to be more in the overall story...at least the final fight.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 06-16-2021 at 07:20 AM.

That's hilarious.

im not going to lie thats funny even though this is Mephisto world he still wanted to do OMD
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    im not going to lie thats funny even though this is Mephisto world he still wanted to do OMD
    You know I have a problem with all these Mephisto references and jokes that writers put...not that it's not funny but after a time it kind of feels like it's normalizing OMD as if it's becoming this "iconic" thing to reference and that to me feels like it can give a false impression.

Mephisto and OMD isn't this great all-time comics moment, it's a f--king embarassment. And much like the 2nd Clone Saga got sentimentalized by jokes about clones over the years, it can create or diminish the nature of the damage those stories actually did.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Except the entire premise of OMD was that Peter and MJ had a love that was found once in forever and was made true in the eyes of who he hates most(God).This reference diminishes that meaning.

When I think of OMD and not about the behind the scenes reasons it happened but story/character wise my mind tries to think up the reason of all people, heroes, married couples why did Mephisto appear and desire that deal? What was in it for him in the grand scheme of things?

Now the 1st reason my mind imagined is it was a 'snack' of pleasure for his dark soul. It had little importance and not a big deal to him in compassion to everything and all souls that exist and will exist. But like eating candy knowing it's not healthy or substance yet we have because of tiny life pleasures he did it just for that small joy of the moment in his life and that's it.

The 2nd in my mind was some sort of prophecy trope to be played out where the child of Peter and MJ (or just MJ based on above) would strike him down when victory was in his grasp and he wanted to undue such destiny.

Looking at this I like to think that maybe Mephisto didn't target Peter but really after MJ for a reason. That for some reason it's MJ he's focused on and any person in her life is just baggage which he waits for opportunities to spring. Why MJ? Maybe she becomes the New Fiery Redhead Ruler of Hell and he's really worried about her dethroning/powering him (Not being serous about this idea and mostly joking on this one but COMICS has had some strange yet enjoyable wild stories that can be written where anything is possible)

While this is indeed a OMD reference, it is also a reference to a very specific storyline from The Flash. (The Flash Vol. 2 #127-129.) The demon Neron wanted the love between Wally West and Linda Park. And he put Keystone City at risk to get it.

That's why MJ was married to NotFlash! on the Squadron instead of, say, Hyperion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    While this is indeed a OMD reference, it is also a reference to a very specific storyline from The Flash. (The Flash Vol. 2 #127-129.) The demon Neron wanted the love between Wally West and Linda Park. And he put Keystone City at risk to get it.

That's why MJ was married to NotFlash! on the Squadron instead of, say, Hyperion.
    This makes Mark Waid being a Brand New Day writer more hilarious...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Except the entire premise of OMD was that Peter and MJ had a love that was found once in forever and was made true in the eyes of who he hates most(God).This reference diminishes that meaning.
    really? Ok thats a little much but I guess for the context of OMD their love had to be worth it
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This makes Mark Waid being a Brand New Day writer more hilarious...
    Mark Waid came up with SUPERMAN 2000 which was cannibalized for OMD
    https://sites.google.com/site/deepsp...-2000-proposal

And per Grant Morrison, Waid was most invested in torching Superman/Lois' marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Thanks, I didn't know about that! Nighthawk inherited most of Spider-Man's cast (Gwen became the Batgirl equivalent, Miles became Robin's, Goblin became Joker's, Nighthawk had the Venom symbiote, etc) and Peter himself became part of Hyperion's cast, so yeah, you'd expect MJ to be with one of them (as a counterpart to Lois Lane or Vicki Vale) instead of Blur. The fact Flash had a similar story explains it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman