Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I figure she has been in situations where she knows she is talking to Peter...and also situations that she knows she has been talking to Spider-Man...so she knows.
    Isn't that Lyja posing as Alicia?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Isn't that Lyja posing as Alicia?
    That may be...but in situations before and after Lyja she has interacted with both Spidey and Peter.

Astonishing Member

It's not just about Mysterio. She clearly knows more about Kindred and why he's so mad at Peter, but she hasn't said what she knows.

(I'm not disparaging MJ for keeping secrets from Peter. He pulls this crap all the time.)
    I remember Spencer once saying that he has the entire storyline figured out (maybe not the exact words but something close to that). I am also pretty sure he does not want to repeat the mistakes of JMS in not fixing a story you know is flawed ( Sins Past) and ( or) having your legacy be the most reviled story in Spider-Man history ( OMD). For those reasons I expect the answers to all the questions ( such as MJ with Mysterio and Kindred) to be explained before he leaves the book. Do I expect everything nice and neat? Of course not Spider-Man is always going to have issues ( that started with Amazing Fantasy 15), but I do not think he will tarnish his legacy and perhaps even worse, stick the next writer with a bad and ( or) unfinished story like Sins Past or OMD.

The Mysterio/movie plotline feels like a good example of what Spencer seems to see as the conflict of Peter x MJ. The fact that MJ is willing to keep secrets from Peter even when it isn't in her best interest to do so.

(As far as relationship conflicts go, at least this one has some real basis in their shared history.)
    I always did get the sense from the solo book that we were seeing MJ have to deal with situations that Peter is usually associated with.

(What's next, Mary Jane Watson: Public Menace ?).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I always did get the sense from the solo book that we were seeing MJ have to deal with situations that Peter is usually associated with.

She's a bad influencer?

She's a bad influencer?
    Now this makes me think of a social media influencer as an MJ villain or some kind of online critic who's her Jameson .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

She's a bad influencer?
    Now this makes me think of a social media influencer as an MJ villain or some kind of online critic who's her Jameson .
    That would be a great idea, actually. Maybe this one's even in league with Screwball, who could have a bone to pick with MJ after some incident on the set of Mysterio's movie that pissed her off.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That would be a great idea, actually. Maybe this one's even in league with Screwball, who could have a bone to pick with MJ after some incident on the set of Mysterio's movie that pissed her off.
    Maybe someone who was passed over for MJ in a play or on a TV show like Secret Hospital. Reasonably lengthy sub plot of cyber stalking and harassment. MJ has to hire bodyguards since Peter can't be with her 24/7.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Maybe someone who was passed over for MJ in a play or on a TV show like Secret Hospital. Reasonably lengthy sub plot of cyber stalking and harassment. MJ has to hire bodyguards since Peter can't be with her 24/7.
    That could definitely work, especially as a kind of commentary on the pitfalls of modern celebrity and fame, as well as cyberspace-based harassment and trolling. Maybe throw in "swatting," a very deadly "prank" in which a troll calls the police to get them to send a SWAT team over to someone's residence in the hopes of terrifying and traumatizing the s*** out of the one living there for sick laughs, assuming that person don't just wind up shot dead.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That could definitely work, especially as a kind of commentary on the pitfalls of modern celebrity and fame, as well as cyberspace-based harassment and trolling. Maybe throw in "swatting," a very deadly "prank" in which a troll calls the police to get them to send a SWAT team over to someone's residence in the hopes of terrifying and traumatizing the s*** out of the one living there for sick laughs, assuming that person don't just wind up shot dead.
    As long as MJ is not 'saved' like a damsel in distress at the end of it. Let her be the one who kicks the stalker's butt.

That may be...but in situations before and after Lyja she has interacted with both Spidey and Peter.
    Agreed. It also says a lot about Lyja's character, she found out the secret & kept it to herself.

Lyja was a character I always thought had a lot of untapped potential. She had years of close relationships with the FF and their friends and enemies, but it was all done under a false identity.
    Doing something like picking up a friendship with MJ would be weird and interesting, especially if we saw MJ still friends with Alicia too.
    On the subject of MJ and her friendships with other heroes, I loved her stint living with the Avengers. It worked so organically. It's a shame the good stuff MJS did gets forgotten because the things he got wrong - Sins Past, OMD - had such big lasting consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Lyja was a character I always thought had a lot of untapped potential. She had years of close relationships with the FF and their friends and enemies, but it was all done under a false identity.
    Doing something like picking up a friendship with MJ would be weird and interesting, especially if we saw MJ still friends with Alicia too.
    On the subject of MJ and her friendships with other heroes, I loved her stint living with the Avengers. It worked so organically. It's a shame the good stuff MJS did gets forgotten because the things he got wrong - Sins Past, OMD - had such big lasting consequences.
    I know, right?! Loved how MJ met the New Avengers

Slott tweeted out Emma Stone's old SNL monologue where she referred to MJ as a *****.

We should be glad we don't have someone who would do that writing Spider-Man.

Ironically, I think those movies would have gone the distance if they had cast Stone as MJ. But Spider-Gwen probably wouldn't have become a thing without them.

(Edit: To be clear, it's SUPER problematic to be engaging in this kind of discussion even in jest, especially in 2021.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 04-06-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Slott tweeted out Emma Stone's old SNL monologue where she referred to MJ as a *****.

We should be glad we don't have someone who would do that writing Spider-Man.

Ironically, I think those movies would have gone the distance if they had cast Stone as MJ. But Spider-Gwen probably wouldn't have become a thing without them.

(Edit: To be clear, it's SUPER problematic to be engaging in this kind of discussion even in jest, especially in 2021.)
    Actually...that is the sort of thing that could make a stalker/hater kind of story line work. The person going after MJ putting out deep fake videos of her making vulgar, racist statements. Or hacking her social media and making the same type of posts. Or photo shopping MJ nude or in sexual positions. Followed by other people's responses to the posts. All the dark side of modern cyber harassment.