Page 15 of 104 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Actually...that is the sort of thing that could make a stalker/hater kind of story line work. The person going after MJ putting out deep fake videos of her making vulgar, racist statements. Or hacking her social media and making the same type of posts. Or photo shopping MJ nude or in sexual positions. Followed by other people's responses to the posts. All the dark side of modern cyber harassment.
    That's... not really what that post was about...

(I try to make light of it, but an actual person engaging in that kind of language about a fictional female character is super problematic. It was problematic when Stone said it years ago, and it's problematic to see Slott tweet it today.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That's... not really what that post was about...

(I try to make light of it, but an actual person engaging in that kind of language about a fictional female character is super problematic. It was problematic when Stone said it years ago, and it's problematic to see Slott tweet it today.)
    I understand you are talking about a real world event. But in an in-universe story something like that would fit.

I don't think many would put Dan Slott down as one of their favorite MJ writers, for various reasons.

I don't even think Slott hates MJ or anything like that (she's a creation of Lee, Ditko, and Romita. What kind of self-professed Spider-Fan could actually hate her?). The problem really is that we live in a sexist society that degrades women with concepts like referring to them as "skanks".

Speaking of comic writers making Mary Jane jokes...

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1379466196010070028

A lot has been made of the whole “Martha” thing with Superman and Batman, but have we ever addressed that Peter Parker married a woman with the same first name as his mother?

I don't even think Slott hates MJ or anything like that (she's a creation of Lee, Ditko, and Romita. What kind of self-professed Spider-Fan could actually hate her?). The problem really is that we live in a sexist society that degrades women with concepts like referring to them as "skanks".

Speaking of comic writers making Mary Jane jokes...

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1379466196010070028
    I don't think he hates her either, but I don't think he's that invested in her.

This reminds me USM where in the initial few issues people actually call her "Mary" instead of Mary Jane or MJ.

BANNED

Slott tweeted out Emma Stone's old SNL monologue where she referred to MJ as a *****.
    Can we have the actual tweet or screenshots and maybe the thread to see what the context is?

We should be glad we don't have someone who would do that writing Spider-Man.
    Well it's not like he's a very good Iron Man or Fantastic Four writer either, considering his dumb ideas with Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me USM where in the initial few issues people actually call her "Mary" instead of Mary Jane or MJ.
    That was odd, but I don't think Bendis was making a big deal.

In any case...MJ having the same first name as Peter's mother falls in the "boys marry their mothers" idea i.e. that men tend to gravitate to women who have some similarities to their maternal role model. It's not the same thing as Zack Snyder's "Martha" moment where Batman's murderous rage transforms to friendship just because he finds out the absurd coincidence that Clark's mom is Martha.

In the case of Peter, Aunt May is his actual maternal figure. Aunt May is a working-class scrapper who never let the hard knocks in life affect her compassion, her general optimism, and her devotion to other people. So it's not surprising that when May decided to set Peter up, she settled on a girl who could be for Peter what she was for Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Can we have the actual tweet or screenshots and maybe the thread to see what the context is?
    It's the old SNL monologue where Stone hosted, saying how she was playing Gwen Stacy, who loved Peter, and not like "that skank" Mary Jane Watson.

https://deepfriedbits.files.wordpres...615.jpeg?w=604

Slott tweeted this with "Reminder", tweeted how he didn't hate MJ and used his writing of RYV as a defense that he didn't hate MJ (which I didn't think he did anyway), and put his twitter on lockdown again.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 04-06-2021 at 02:21 PM.

BANNED

It's the old SNL monologue where Stone hosted, saying how she was playing Gwen Stacy, who loved Peter, and not like "that skank" Mary Jane Watson.

https://deepfriedbits.files.wordpres...615.jpeg?w=604

Slott tweeted this with "Reminder", tweeted how he didn't hate MJ and used his writing of RYV as a defense that he didn't hate MJ (which I didn't think he did anyway), and put his twitter on lockdown again.
    So Slott stirred some pot to get a reaction.

Not surprising, theoretically his mediocre run on Fantastic Four should have gotten him attention but it's you know, mediocre. So this is all he has left.

Mr. Fantastic has the same last name as Peter's biological dad.

Coincidence? I think not .

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1379409080356311041

It's not locked anymore, so if you want to see it.

Astonishing Member

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1379409080356311041

It's not locked anymore, so if you want to see it.
    I always loved the FF ( Ben Grimm is my favorite character after Peter and MJ). I just cannot and will not read Dan Slott. I hope he goes and writes for DC or someone either then Marvel.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think he hates her either, but I don't think he's that invested in her.

Just my $0.02 worth...but writers have a responsibility to all the characters to give them storylines....not just have them hanging around. If they are not going to do that then they should just write them out.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I always loved the FF ( Ben Grimm is my favorite character after Peter and MJ). I just cannot and will not read Dan Slott. I hope he goes and writes for DC or someone either then Marvel.
    It's just embarrassing to see a writer do "she's a *****" jokes in 2021. (And no, brushing them off as old SNL jokes doesn't make them any less embarrassing.)

Astonishing Member

It's just embarrassing to see a writer do "she's a *****" jokes in 2021. (And no, brushing them off as old SNL jokes doesn't make them any less embarrassing.)
    It is actually worse to use old SNL jokes. Why? He is supposed to be a writer ( and a well paid one at that). Why not actually write something that is original and funny? ps. I just thought who Slott reminds me of: Stephen A.Smith on ESPN. Another arrogant individual who likely has a job because his bosses ( also Disney) know he aggravates people and stirs up controversy.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 04-06-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    It is actually worse to use old SNL jokes. Why? He is supposed to be a writer ( and a well paid one at that). Why not actually write something that is original and funny?
    Referencing old jokes that are good is fine. It's all about the context of the joke.