Page 16 of 104 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1379562016004829188

Interesting. Slott said he was going to get Peter and MJ back together but couldn't because that would have been stepping on Spencer's toes.

BANNED

I neither care if Dan Slott likes MJ as a character or not.

That is frankly irrelevant.

It's possible for a writer to dislike a character and still write that character well. It's possible to be a fan of a character and write that character badly.

Dan Slott didn't write MJ well but he didn't write most characters well to be honest. His MJ might be weak but his Aunt May is worse.

On a public social forum media, Slott stirring the pot to draw attention can be judged however people want but it's frankly not worth being concerned over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1379562016004829188

Interesting. Slott said he was going to get Peter and MJ back together but couldn't because that would have been stepping on Spencer's toes.
    This feels on the same level as him saying he was planning to end the Queenpin story himself but then other writers kept using her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I neither care if Dan Slott likes MJ as a character or not.

That is frankly irrelevant.

It's possible for a writer to dislike a character and still write that character well. It's possible to be a fan of a character and write that character badly.

Dan Slott didn't write MJ well but he didn't write most characters well to be honest. His MJ might be weak but his Aunt May is worse.

On a public social forum media, Slott stirring the pot to draw attention can be judged however people want but it's frankly not worth being concerned over.
    You are exactly right. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did not like Sherlock Holmes but wrote him well. Another character Slott butchered more then MJ or Aunt May was Felicia. Besides that if he really wanted Peter back with MJ in Amazing he had a decade to do it. He is simply a weak person who lacks the balls necessary to stand up to anyone from Quesada to the fans. Instead, he comes up with cop-out excuses.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This feels on the same level as him saying he was planning to end the Queenpin story himself but then other writers kept using her.
    The real reason is why is Marvel tolerating this or allowing this? Right now the chief writer on Spider-Man is Nick Spencer, someone who has removed himself from social media and wants his work to speak for itself and whose stuff is selling well. The previous writer of Spider-Man is on social media not talking about the mediocre Iron Man and Fantastic Four runs that has little general interest among comics twitter but stirring stuff about Spider-Man and other stuff that happened before.

It's just bad form. If Dan Slott and Mark Waid felt huffy about JMS talking smack about BND, then I think others have a right to take issue with Dan Slott stirring attention by saying he liked MJ.

Again it doesn't matter, he had 10 years on the title and he didn't write a version of the character that most fans and readers liked. He cites RYV but that's a window away from the version of the character he was writing in the main books, and even then Jody Houser and Gerry Conway did a better job with RYV-MJ than he.

It takes all types of creatives. I mean, sometimes Marvel policy seems to be fanning the flames of contention to stir up controversy and attention.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The real reason is why is Marvel tolerating this or allowing this? Right now the chief writer on Spider-Man is Nick Spencer, someone who has removed himself from social media and wants his work to speak for itself and whose stuff is selling well. The previous writer of Spider-Man is on social media not talking about the mediocre Iron Man and Fantastic Four runs that has little general interest among comics twitter but stirring stuff about Spider-Man and other stuff that happened before.

It's just bad form. If Dan Slott and Mark Waid felt huffy about JMS talking smack about BND, then I think others have a right to take issue with Dan Slott stirring attention by saying he liked MJ.

Again it doesn't matter, he had 10 years on the title and he didn't write a version of the character that most fans and readers liked. He cites RYV but that's a window away from the version of the character he was writing in the main books, and even then Jody Houser and Gerry Conway did a better job with RYV-MJ than he.
    With the exceptions of the lunatic fringe there have been few people rougher on Dan Slott then me. Why? Above all I reached a conclusion ( after Silk) that he is unable or incapable ( or) both to write a version of Spider-Man that I like. Beyond that, he came up with both snarky comments on Twitter that he knew would anger a certain segment of the fan base ( like “No need for MJ”), and storylines that accomplished the same thing like “Jackpot.” Reading his comments as well as ASM got me angry, and the only acceptable option was to quit reading the book until he left. To this day, I will not read anything he writes because because I do not like it, and I will especially not read anything he posts on social media, because I consider it to be at best nothing more then self serving BS.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1379641277168427010

I would like to personally apologize to everyone who visited my feed today. I never should have traveled back in time to 2011 and wrote this for Emma Stone's SNL opening monologue. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive both me & my time machine.
    Slott is still going in on this. What is his problem?

(Also, Dan, if you're reading this. It wasn't right for Stone to say this a decade ago, and it's especially not right to regurgitate this slut-shaming in 2021.)

BANNED

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1379641277168427010

Slott is still going in on this. What is his problem?

I once again want to reiterate that I don't think Slott hates MJ. And I totally get the SNL joke is "ha ha, I'm a grown ass adult engaging in shipping wars over comic book characters", but at this point it has been used to perpetuate very harmful misogyny that I don't understand why anyone would want to reference it in 2021.

As someone who doesn't much care for Slott's writing, the backlash towards him was often worse than anything he actually said. And speaking as an MJ fan, this fanbase has been shown to be rather petty and insecure, especially in light of Gwen's recent push.

Astonishing Member

I once again want to reiterate that I don't think Slott hates MJ. And I totally get the SNL joke is "ha ha, I'm a grown ass adult engaging in shipping wars over comic book characters", but at this point it has been used to perpetuate very harmful misogyny that I don't understand why anyone would want to reference it in 2021.
    I am not saying Slott is right in doing the reference ( I do not), but I know why he is doing it. He enjoys getting reactions from people ( very much like a troll). He is certainly capable of a decent story ( see Spider Island), so he would be much better off if he put more effort into quality stories and less into playing the snarky troll.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am not saying Slott is right in doing the reference ( I do not), but I know why he is doing it. He enjoys getting reactions from people ( very much like a troll). He is certainly capable of a decent story ( see Spider Island), so he would be much better off if he put more effort into quality stories and less into playing the snarky troll.
    I agree, I think he's reliving the glory days haha. I've kinda enjoyed the less controversial era of Nick Spencer on the title (as in the lack of writer stirring up fans from online interactions whether it being intentional or not).

Stone's SNL monologue from about a decade ago has absolutely been used against MJ's character for years in portions of Spider-Man fan circles. Any original meaning of the joke ("I'm an adult arguing about comic book shipping") has absolutely been lost at this point, and it just stands as, at best, extremely problematic, and at worst, absolutely misogynistic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As someone who doesn't much care for Slott's writing, the backlash towards him was often worse than anything he actually said. And speaking as an MJ fan, this fanbase has been shown to be rather petty and insecure, especially in light of Gwen's recent push.
    If you have to promote Gwen by slandering MJ and calling her names, as Emma Stone had to do at the time and afterwards, then I think fans of that character are within their rights to resent the "push" especially since the "push" is happening by people who refuse to accept the historical reasons why Gwen was so unpopular in the first place or refuse to align the new version with the original version of the character in the pages of Spider-Man.

Slott spreading memes with misogynistic slurs to a popular and beloved character as a way to attract attention was what got him that backlash. (And yeah it's misogynistic even if it's a woman who said it). And he's not taking responsibility...which again what was the character he was assigned to write?