Page 19 of 104 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

I don't think we need another break up at this point. At least that wouldn't feel contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think we need another break up at this point. At least that wouldn't feel contrived.
    I agree, but I don't work for Marvel. It isn't my call.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Ideally that would happen, but we don't live in an ideal world.

What will happen is Peter and MJ will get back together and break up and get back together and break up over and over again between now and whenever Marvel stops publishing comics.
    Will Peter and MJ be together? That depends on who the next writer is. Look at history: It was a seamless transition from Ditko to Romita and not much changed. Slott from JMS? “The Baby got thrown out with the bath water.” Spencer from Slott? A radical correction. I do not expect big changes, but I also do not expect no changes either.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Will Peter and MJ be together? That depends on who the next writer is. Look at history: It was a seamless transition from Ditko to Romita and not much changed. Slott from JMS? “The Baby got thrown out with the bath water.” Spencer from Slott? A radical correction. I do not expect big changes, but I also do not expect no changes either.
    Pretty much. Comic runs today seem to want to put everything back in the box when they're done. At least as much as they can.

(Although unless McGuire comes back for the next iteration of Spider-Gwen, Gwen's next writer will have a lot of plotlines to deal with, lol. Including an MJ that has some symbiote in her.)

Extraordinary Member

They want to put 'their mark' on it...and in doing so they destroy the legacy. OMD was the most moronic decision ever made in the history of moronic comic book decisions. Pete and MJ should have been taken forward...not regressed because self important man children could not handle Peter Parker being a responsible adult, married and with kids.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 04-08-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Mighty Member

Wait...Spencer's leaving? I haven't been following the books too closely, but has he resolved the Kindred subplot? There were also a ton of references to OMD...did that ever go anywhere?

Minor nitpick but the transition from Ditko to Romita wasn't exactly seamless.

I think the 616 Spider-man comics have largely reached a point of stasis. Spider-man has found his "iconic" status quo (the love interest, the villains, the occupation, etc.) We'll see deviations here and there, but nothing like the kind of shake-ups or progression that occured throughout the 60s-90s (or even the early 2000s.) Whether Peter dates MJ in the next run will probably depend on the opinions of the next writer. But if there's one thing that's become a certainty at this point is that they'll always end up back together.

That's probably why we've seen much more emphasis placed on alt-u spiders within the past decade. Because Peter himself is stuck on a creative merry-go-round.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Wait...Spencer's leaving? I haven't been following the books too closely, but has he resolved the Kindred subplot? There were also a ton of references to OMD...did that ever go anywhere?
    We don't officially know if Spencer is leaving or not yet. But a future tpb's advert implies we're heading to a resolution, and a lot of significant Marvel titles like Hulk and Captain America are going to be relaunched in the not too distant future with new creative teams. Seems like we're looking at another line-wide relaunch soon.

(No, Kindred hasn't been resolved yet.)

X-Men's relaunching too, with Duggan writing (Hickman's doing another new X book).

I've said how I want her to meet Ghost Spider for obvious reasons.
    Especially now that MJ's own counterpart from Gwen's world is Carnage.

Y'know, with them bringing back a lot of comics or minis that were canceled and resolving their plots in one-shots or new event tie-ins, I wonder if the same might happen with Amazing Mary Jane.
    A lot? Children of the Atom and Infinite Destinies were only postponed, Valkyrie was relaunched as a duo book (Jane and a movie synergy version), not continued as is. The Union is the only one I can think of that was repurposed like that. Amazing Mary Jane won't be back. It's not the only spider book affected - there's also Scream and Gwen Stacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If Spencer is leaving soon, I wonder if we're looking at another line-wide reshuffling again. And this thread being what it is, what that will mean for MJ.
    Yeah, we know that Hulk, Captain America, Black Panther, Venom, and Ms. Marvel are due relaunches soon as they've all either recently finished or announced their finales. X-Men was just announced to be relaunching too and I would imagine Avengers is also about to.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    X-Men's relaunching too, with Duggan writing (Hickman's doing another new X book).

Especially now that MJ's own counterpart from Gwen's world is Carnage.

A lot? Children of the Atom and Infinite Destinies were only postponed, Valkyrie was relaunched as a duo book (Jane and a movie synergy version), not continued as is. The Union is the only one I can think of that was repurposed like that. Amazing Mary Jane won't be back. It's not the only spider book affected - there's also Scream and Gwen Stacy.

Yeah, we know that Hulk, Captain America, Black Panther, Venom, and Ms. Marvel are due relaunches soon as they've all either recently finished or announced their finales. X-Men was just announced to be relaunching too and I would imagine Avengers is also about to.
    I am sick...and tired...of the constant reboots...only for them to come along and start their Legacy Numbering BS again.

Extraordinary Member

So what is MJ's net worth? Model and actress. Owned a couple clubs. Tony Stark's personal assistant...and helped keep the wolves at bay so maybe a good severance when she left.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    So what is MJ's net worth? Model and actress. Owned a couple clubs. Tony Stark's personal assistant...and helped keep the wolves at bay so maybe a good severance when she left.
    I think MJ has better savings and stuff, but I done't think she's rich because a lot of her careers crashed and burned. So I don't think she's super-rich, but you can assume she got more saved than Peter.
    -- Her first gig was an entry-level model, which Ron Frenz pointed out was a specific thing and not a supermodel with her faces on magazines and billboards because people after them totally misinterpreted what that meant.
    -- Her first career as a rising model led to her being blacklisted by Jonathan Caesar, which led to her and Peter leaving a plush apartment because they couldn't afford it anymore. She then worked as a TV actress in fairly undistinguished gigs. Then that career stalled and she went to college for a while.
    -- Then she worked as a model and actress and went to the West Coast and appeared in movies that didn't do too well, like Lobster Man and after that she couldn't get good roles again, so she went to the theater.
    -- In Mark Millar's MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN, it's revealed that the contracts she signed and so on went backsies and she's due for a lot of expenses and other stuff she signed, and essentially lost a lot of money to payment to agents and other stuff.
    -- In the BND era, she worked as a TV actress in some small-time gigs, and then owned a club (which got burned down), moved to Chicago to start another club (which got burned down) and that made her toxic for insurance companies so she couldn't do much or anything, and Iron Man (who sorta helped burn down the Chicago club offered her work as a way to compensate).
    -- As IM's assistant, MJ has corporate perks and privileges and a good salary and Nick Spencer's run implies that the Stark severage plan was enough for her to pay rent and take time to decide on her next gig. e

And now she's in low-budget movies and theater again. So Mary Jane's not super-rich but she's earned more than Peter has (and has probably higher savings) and her own career is as precarious and messy as Pete's with multiple jobs, ups and downs, setbacks and failures.

The point is that like Peter, MJ is always going to be on the cusp of making it big but maybe never getting there as long as the serialized story continues.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 04-09-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I think MJ has better savings and stuff, but I done't think she's rich because a lot of her careers crashed and burned. So I don't think she's super-rich, but you can assume she got more saved than Peter.
    -- Her first gig was an entry-level model, which Ron Frenz pointed out was a specific thing and not a supermodel with her faces on magazines and billboards because people after them totally misinterpreted what that meant.
    -- Her first career as a rising model led to her being blacklisted by Jonathan Caesar, which led to her and Peter leaving a plush apartment because they couldn't afford it anymore. She then worked as a TV actress in fairly undistinguished gigs. Then that career stalled and she went to college for a while.
    -- Then she worked as a model and actress and went to the West Coast and appeared in movies that didn't do too well, like Lobster Man and after that she couldn't get good roles again, so she went to the theater.
    -- In Mark Millar's MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN, it's revealed that the contracts she signed and so on went backsies and she's due for a lot of expenses and other stuff she signed, and essentially lost a lot of money to payment to agents and other stuff.
    -- In the BND era, she worked as a TV actress in some small-time gigs, and then owned a club (which got burned down), moved to Chicago to start another club (which got burned down) and that made her toxic for insurance companies so she couldn't do much or anything, and Iron Man (who sorta helped burn down the Chicago club offered her work as a way to compensate).
    -- As IM's assistant, MJ has corporate perks and privileges and a good salary and Nick Spencer's run implies that the Stark severage plan was enough for her to pay rent and take time to decide on her next gig. e

And now she's in low-budget movies and theater again. So Mary Jane's not super-rich but she's earned more than Peter and her own career is as precarious and messy as Pete's with multiple jobs, ups and downs, setbacks and failures.

The point is that like Peter, MJ is always going to be on the cusp of making it big but maybe never getting there as long as the serialized story continues.
    Not saying she has Tony Stark money in the bank...but thinking she may be comfortable.

But how comfortable? under $100K? Few hundred thousand? couple mil?

As far as MJs carreer...I want her to be a successful working actress...not Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Garner, or the like...but pulling in comfortable money withe stage and TV work in NY...and the occasional out of town filming.

I think part of the reason MJ is going along with the Mysterio movie is because she thinks it'll be a blockbuster that will put her career back on the map, as much as she's just happy to be acting again.

Which is probably part of why it's not going to end well.

Extraordinary Member

I think part of the reason MJ is going along with the Mysterio movie is because she thinks it'll be a blockbuster that will put her career back on the map, as much as she's just happy to be acting again.

Which is probably part of why it's not going to end well.
    We can all hope for MJ to be happy.

A sub plot where MJ and Lindsay McCabe are cast together in a play and on opening night a bunch or people show up like Amanda Armstrong, Pepper Potts, Jessica and Roger, Peter, etc...
    Last edited by Chris0013; 04-09-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    We can all hope for MJ to be happy.

A sub plot where MJ and Lindsay McCabe are cast together in a play and on opening night a bunch or people show up like Amanda Armstrong, Pepper Potts, Jessica and Roger, Peter, etc...
    Not Amanda Armstrong. I never need to see her again .