Page 20 of 104 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Not saying she has Tony Stark money in the bank...but thinking she may be comfortable.

But how comfortable? under $100K? Few hundred thousand? couple mil?
    I don't think there's going to be hard numbers on that. The point is she's not as rich as Harry Osborn or Liz for that matter, referring just to Peter's social circle (leave alone the upper echelons of wealth in the MU - your Emma Frosts, your Starks, your Professor Xaviers, your Reed Richards). She's a working class girl who's moved in the middle classes and in that gray precarious area inside the middle to middling to lower-rungs of the upper-middle.

It's that class that draws salaries but because of expenditures and lifestyle owing to the work (for a model and actress that means trainers, and other stuff) they don't get to keep much or any of that salary or translate it into savings. It's a kind of advanced precarious class. As an actress and working model, MJ gets perks and privileges (like travelling in fancy jets or dressing in grand style on ocassion and sometimes keeping some of the clothes but not all the time of course) so she gets the trappings of wealth without actual wealth.

So she's just a little better off than Peter but not as rich as Harry, and certainly not as rich as Gwen Stacy and her family.

As far as MJs carreer...I want her to be a successful working actress...not Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Garner, or the like
    Is Jennifer Garner a successful actress? When was the last time she appeared in any major movie? Jolie of course is tops.

...but pulling in comfortable money withe stage and TV work in NY...and the occasional out of town filming.
    She's already doing all of that.

Astonishing Member

I am sick...and tired...of the constant reboots...only for them to come along and start their Legacy Numbering BS again.
    I agree 100% with you. Take the new IDW comic ( a comic I would not even read in trades). Why not use Miles, or Gwen or even Miguel. We do not need to see Peter as a kid. It is exactly the problem I had with MCU’s The Avengers; They even referred to him as “The Kid.” People seem to forget he can kick the ass over half of The Avengers without assistance. Black Panther? Black Widow? Cap?Hawkeye? Iron Man? Would any of them beat Peter in a one on one fight? I guarantee I am not watching Sony reboot Peter back to High School, nor will I read a story that does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I agree 100% with you. Take the new IDW comic ( a comic I would not even read in trades). Why not use Miles, or Gwen or even Miguel. We do not need to see Peter as a kid. It is exactly the problem I had with MCU’s The Avengers; They even referred to him as “The Kid.” People seem to forget he can kick the ass over half of The Avengers without assistance. Black Panther? Black Widow? Cap?Hawkeye? Iron Man? Would any of them beat Peter in a one on one fight? I guarantee I am not watching Sony reboot Peter back to High School, nor will I read a story that does the same.
    I mean, Peter's the main, main, guy so it make sense to continually use him in stuff aimed at a new audience.

I'm fine with Peter as a kid but it shouldn't be used to limit or infantilize him.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Peter's the main, main, guy so it make sense to continually use him in stuff aimed at a new audience.

I'm fine with Peter as a kid but it shouldn't be used to limit or infantilize him.
    Marvel seems obsessed with infantilizing Peter these days both in and out of the comics. This is my main complaint about Modern Spidey. I admit I hate it, especially when Miles can now fill the role of teen Spider-Man.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Is Jennifer Garner a successful actress? When was the last time she appeared in any major movie? Jolie of course is tops.

With MJ I am saying she is comfortable like a Hallmark Movie actress.
    The internet says she is worth $80 mil...so she did something right along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Marvel seems obsessed with infantilizing Peter these days both in and out of the comics. This is my main complaint about Modern Spidey. I admit I hate it, especially when Miles can now fill the role of teen Spider-Man.
    Exactly...Miles can fill that role. Peter should have a good job and life. Not saying he does not still run into issues but the whole plagiarism thing was just a smack in the face to make him lose the great job he had.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 04-09-2021 at 09:18 AM.

The problem with Miles is, if you use him, there's an expectation that he has to do his own stuff rather than just retread or deal with stuff that you would expect from Peter as the traditional Spider-Man. Which is probably why they still default to Peter.

Like, with Peter you get Doc Ock, Venom, Green Goblin, the classic Rogues Gallery, etc.

You can still use that with Miles but it would be just using Peter stuff for Miles.

The problem with Miles is, if you use him, there's an expectation that he has to do his own stuff rather than just retread or deal with stuff that you would expect from Peter as the traditional Spider-Man. Which is probably why they still default to Peter.

Like, with Peter you get Doc Ock, Venom, Green Goblin, the classic Rogues Gallery, etc.

You can still use that with Miles but it would be just using Peter stuff for Miles.
    Really?

I don't see the problem because Miles is already getting his own Clone Saga and one of his love interests is based on Peter's first love. It seems Marvel is a-okay with retreading Peter's stuff for Miles, which I don't like.

Extraordinary Member

Really?

I don't see the problem because Miles is already getting his own Clone Saga and one of his love interests is based on Peter's first love. It seems Marvel is a-okay with retreading Peter's stuff for Miles, which I don't like.
    I don't think they are shwacking this Gwen anytime soon.

I don't think they are shwacking this Gwen anytime soon.
    No doubt, but she was still Peter's girl before she was Miles' girl, well, the OG version so my point stands.

Extraordinary Member

No doubt, but she was still Peter's girl before she was Miles' girl, well, the OG version so my point stands.
    I do agree with Frontier though and want Miles to have his own things going on and not completely re-hash Peter's stories.

I do agree with Frontier though and want Miles to have his own things going on and not completely re-hash Peter's stories.
    Oh, I do too. What I'm saying is this isn't an issue because Marvel is fine giving Miles Peter's hand-me-downs. It won't prevent Miles from being the young Spider-Man nor should it given the Marvel mindset.

Really?

People gave a side-eye to the Clone Saga story when it was first announced. Other than the MCU it isn't a given that teen Peter has to retread anything Miles does.

Gwen is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Astonishing Member

Why not try something new? Let’s take Miguel he currently does not have a comic. We have seen stories of Peter as a kid over and over again. To quote Aerosmith “Its the same old story, same old story, same old song and dance my friend.”

Extraordinary Member

Not Amanda Armstrong. I never need to see her again .
    I mentioned her as a friend of MJ. She is famous, has followers and a social media post form a famous person can generate buzz if the play is good.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Why not try something new? Let’s take Miguel he currently does not have a comic. We have seen stories of Peter as a kid over and over again. To quote Aerosmith “Its the same old story, same old story, same old song and dance my friend.”
    I'm not against anything new per se, just that it's usually expected to use the traditional version.
    I mentioned her as a friend of MJ. She is famous, has followers and a social media post form a famous person can generate buzz if the play is good.
    Maybe as a female mentor divorced from anything Tony Stark she might come off more likeable to me.