Page 59 of 104 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She has one. They can just use her costume from Renew Your Vows.
    I already addressed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Spinneret is very much a Mrs. Spider-Man costume, if that makes any sense.

Mighty Member

I just started a Peter and Mary Jane comic blog at blogger.com.

I am going to be posting nothing but comic panels of their interactions in the main comic universe.

There is lots of stuff to post that it will take me forever to get it done. There is so much stuff that shows how iconic and great their relationship is.

This project is going to be very fun!
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I just started a Peter and Mary Jane comic blog at blogger.com.

I am going to be posting nothing but comic panels of their interactions in the main comic universe.

There is lots of stuff to post that it will take me forever to get it done. There is so much stuff that shows how iconic and great their relationship is.

This project is going to be very fun!
    Send us links.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I hope so, I get put into a depression every time I think about her character and what could have been had she actually been anything like Mary Jane in these movies.

But anyway, the fact of the matter is she is not supposed to be Mary Jane. According to Homecoming interviews she is a completely original character and the MJ initials were an easter egg.
    Naah, in a Variety interview last year, Zendaya (inadvertently) confirmed that Feige was basically bs-ing with those vague and stupid "Michelle is not a version of Mary Jane, but also she may be?" comments. Apparently the character was pitched to her as the MCU's version of Mary Jane Watson, and they even told her they are recreating her personality. She is definitely under the impression that she is playing MCU's "updated" Mary Jane.

The reason not more fans are mad about this is because the new movies have kind of effed up Peter himself, his relationship with Uncle Ben, the weird "Iron Boy" positioning etc. etc. At this point, I just roll with the understanding that this is a super AU version* of the Spider-Man mythos and characters including Peter himself and enjoy it for what it is. Also, MCU's Peter/MJ has found a whole new following for whom this is their version of Peter and Mary Jane. Can't stay mad after the level of excitement and joy I've seen from young black women and girls who interpret Zendaya's take as their Mary Jane Watson.

*Them taking the Spider-Verse approach basically embraces the AU idea anyway. We'll probably be seeing Tom Holland, Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Zendaya, Kirsten Dunst all in the same movie basically sending the message that there is no "one true" Peter and MJ.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 08-27-2021 at 01:54 PM.

MCU Spider-Man is bad actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Naah, in a Variety interview last year, Zendaya (inadvertently) confirmed that Feige was basically bs-ing with those vague and stupid "Michelle is not a version of Mary Jane, but also she may be?" comments. Apparently the character was pitched to her as the MCU's version of Mary Jane Watson, and they even told her they are recreating her personality. She is definitely under the impression that she is playing MCU's "updated" Mary Jane.

The reason not more fans are mad about this is because the new movies have kind of effed up Peter himself, his relationship with Uncle Ben, the weird "Iron Boy" positioning etc. etc. At this point, you just roll with the understanding that this is a super AU version of the Spider-Man mythos and characters including Peter himself and enjoy it for what it is. Also, MCU's Peter/MJ has found a whole new following for whom this is their version of Peter and Mary Jane. Can't stay mad after the level of excitement and joy I've seen from young black women and girls who interpret Zendaya's take as their Mary Jane Watson.
    Well, if that is true it makes me feel a little bit better. It certainly seems like she is supposed to be but it sure is confusing that her name was Michelle in the first movie and not Mary Jane, is Disney changing her name to avoid the drug references or something? I also had heard a rumor that it was something about Sony's rights to her character with Disney in dispute so basically they can't make her Mary Jane officially so they did this as a compromise.

Astonishing Member

The reason not more fans are mad about this is because the new movies have kind of effed up Peter himself, his relationship with Uncle Ben, the weird "Iron Boy" positioning etc. etc. At this point, you just roll with the understanding that this is a super AU version of the Spider-Man mythos and characters including Peter himself and enjoy it for what it is. Also, MCU's Peter/MJ has found a whole new following for whom this is their version of Peter and Mary Jane. Can't stay mad after the level of excitement and joy I've seen from young black women and girls who interpret Zendaya's take as their Mary Jane Watson.
    Zendaya is NOT Mary Jane. Her mannerisms, looks and everything else is something totally different. By the way I am NOT playing a race card. In my humble opinion, a person of color did the best non comic version of MJ. That would be Zoe Kravitz in Into The Spider Verse. When I saw her version of MJ, I saw and heard MJ. When I saw Zendaya I saw and heard another love interest. Not bad, but not MJ either.

It is certainly not what I want to see as a fan of the comic book characters. I personally get excited seeing the characters I know and love come to life and get faithfully adapted. MCU has done well with the villains but certainly dropped the ball regarding everything else. I just wish we could start over but this version is so popular it feels like it's going to go on forever this way....

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Zendaya is NOT Mary Jane. Her mannerisms, looks and everything else is something totally different. By the way at I am NOT playing a race card:in my humble opinion, a person of color did the best non comic version of MJ. That would be Zoe Kravitz in Into The Spider Verse. When I saw her version of MJ, I saw MJ. When I saw Zendaya I saw another love interest. Not bad, but not MJ either.
    Take it up with Kevin Feige dude. He and his team are the ones who decided to make Zendaya play this version of Mary Jane.

Anyway, on a chipper note, here's an awesome video of the trailer recreated with clips from the 90's animated show, where it is clear that at least the Peter/MJ dynamics in the trailer have transformed into Classic Peter/MJ dynamics.

It is certainly not what I want to see as a fan of the comic book characters. I personally get excited seeing the characters I know and love come to life and get faithfully adapted. MCU has done well with the villains but certainly dropped the ball regarding everything else. I just wish we could start over but this version is so popular it feels like it's going to go on forever this way....
    I know that feeling.

Astonishing Member

It is certainly not what I want to see as a fan of the comic book characters. I personally get excited seeing the characters I know and love come to life and get faithfully adapted. MCU has done well with the villains but certainly dropped the ball regarding everything else. I just wish we could start over but this version is so popular it feels like it's going to go on forever this way.... :(
    I happen to agree It is pretty pathetic that the most spot on Peter was shown in a non-Peter movie: Into The Spider Verse ( Jake Johnson was almost but not quite as good as Zoe Kravitz MJ).

Far From Home kind of finally made me warm up to it as the film felt like a dumber version of my beloved Spectacular Spider-Man. We take what we can get and all.

Far From Home kind of finally made me warm up to it as the film felt like a dumber version of my beloved Spectacular Spider-Man. We take what we can get and all.
    We got Into the Spider-Verse, which is superior to MCU Spider-Man in every way, shape, and form.

I am not going to champion substandard Spider-Man films.

BANNED

It's better than the Andrew Garfield movies, and it's not Batman and Robin bad. When I watch the movies, and forget that these are supposed to be Spider-Man characters, they are enjoyable but that enjoyment stops when it ends and you realize who these characters are supposed to be and try and make it fit.

For me it's the discourse around these films that are more annoying than the films themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's better than the Andrew Garfield movies, and it's not Batman and Robin bad. When I watch the movies, and forget that these are supposed to be Spider-Man characters, they are enjoyable but that enjoyment stops when it ends and you realize who these characters are supposed to be and try and make it fit.

For me it's the discourse around these films that are more annoying than the films themselves.
    I'm just tired of mediocre Spider-Man films. Being better than the Garfield movies is not an accomplishment worth celebrating.