Page 73 of 104 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1559

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    This guy gets it.

Honestly though the problem is that carrot only works for so long, many have given up and more will,Specially after Spencer.Not to mention they are all old and new ones aren't coming in, specially not for the marriage.We'll all be dead soon and so why not just do the marriage, since old fans want to read the marriage more than they want it back.And find new carrots for new readers.
    Right? After growing up with them married, and having to endure all the disappointment that followed during BND/Slott era, and now back to this again, I desperately want them to find a new carrot, but this is like .... freaking stupid and boring. I can't even just enjoy a Spider-Man book, it's like, I want them to marry and stop teasing it so I can simply go back to the enjoyment I had before collecting Spider-Man comics.

Just do it and move on already! The marriage as my freaking starting point, and I enjoyed it, you took it away, now your teasing it again, but for me its just getting back to square one. It's pretty sad.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-01-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

https://twitter.com/IbanCoelloSoria/...72440971939841

Iban Coello shows his character design for lil May Parker for Dark Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Marvel: "This one knows the truth".
    Hahaha, indeed
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Right? After growing up with them married, and having to endure all the disappointment that followed during BND/Slott era, and now back to this again, I desperately want them to find a new carrot, but this is like .... freaking stupid and boring. I can't even just enjoy a Spider-Man book, it's like, I want them to marry and stop teasing it so I can simply go back to the enjoyment I had before collecting Spider-Man comics.

Just do it and move on already! The marriage as my freaking starting point, and I enjoyed it, you took it away, now your teasing it again, but for me its just getting back to square one. It's pretty sad.
    Dude, you should do what I have done. Seeing how any aspect of continuity no matter how consequential can be wiped out at any time to keep Pete from developing, I've stopped carrying about the characters. I simply enjoy the ride but don't take anything seriously anymore. I'm numb to all things Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Dude, you should do what I have done. Seeing how any aspect of continuity no matter how consequential can be wiped out at any time to keep Pete from developing, I've stopped carrying about the characters. I simply enjoy the ride but don't take anything seriously anymore. I'm numb to all things Spider-Man.
    smart answer we shouldn't take things seriously in general. I cant tell you how many discussions I see between fandoms regarding certain characters. especially when they compare one another. If the story doesnt take itself seriously why should we?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    smart answer we shouldn't take things seriously in general. I cant tell you how many discussions I see between fandoms regarding certain characters. especially when they compare one another. If the story doesnt take itself seriously why should we?
    The way I see it we are in the "Discontinuity Age" of Spidey. Once OMD happened the Spider-Man we knew and loved since AF, in essence, ceased to exist. Pre-OMD each story built upon the last creating a continuous (more or less) clear chain of events of serial storytelling at its finest, but once the marriage was removed all character development stemming from it also was removed thus breaking that long chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    https://twitter.com/IbanCoelloSoria/...72440971939841

Iban Coello shows his character design for lil May Parker for Dark Age.
    Got some anime eyes going there...

Extraordinary Member

The way I see it we are in the "Discontinuity Age" of Spidey. Once OMD happened the Spider-Man we knew and loved since AF, in essence, ceased to exist. Pre-OMD each story built upon the last creating a continuous (more or less) clear chain of events of serial storytelling at its finest, but once the marriage was removed all character development stemming from it also was removed thus breaking that long chain.
    Spencer fixed that, Peter we have now can easily be written as Pre-OMD.The relationship is fixed, the characters are fixed and Peter even acknowledges that he hasn't grown.After Beyond we can go right back to Pre-OMD Spidey if the writers are good enough.

Yeah, this is the era where.... magic reset button trumps story.

It makes for bad story telling to have the story not carry any weight. Which is a big problem for having readers become invested. Will people keep reading long term? I didn't.

Spencer fixed that, Peter we have now can easily be written as Pre-OMD.The relationship is fixed, the characters are fixed and Peter even acknowledges that he hasn't grown.After Beyond we can go right back to Pre-OMD Spidey if the writers are good enough.
    I disagree with your assessment. Nothing is "fixed". Things can theoretically go back to the way they were but it'll take time and it won't exactly be the same as before. Granted, Spencer did his best because I suspect there is no way in blue hell Marvel Editorial will EVER allow anyone to fully undo the infamous deal.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-01-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, this is the era where.... magic reset button trumps story.

It makes for bad story telling to have the story not carry any weight. Which is a big problem for having readers become invested. Will people keep reading long term? I didn't.
    Indeed , *sigh* Spidey has gone from a serial story to an episodic story.

PS I (like you) also feel more comfortable taking breaks than before because, frankly, I know I won't miss anything. Editorial has made it clear there is a hard stop on Peter's development as a character. There is a fixed point he can never move beyond for long thus why care about any changes?
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-01-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I disagree with your assessment. Nothing is "fixed". Things can theoretically go back to the way they were but it'll take time and it won't exactly be the same as before. Granted, Spencer did his best because I suspect there is no way in blue hell Marvel Editorial will EVER allow anyone to fully undo the infamous deal.
    He fixed his character, you can't use BND Peter for Pre-OMD style stories.It's just not going to work, that Pre-OMD charm is back in terms of Peter's character.Same w/ MJ.
    I think he's done enough that next writers can take it that way, but wasn't allowed to do enough to make it the only way.Shame but it's all on the guys after beyond IMO.

Astonishing Member

He fixed his character, you can't use BND Peter for Pre-OMD style stories.It's just not going to work, that Pre-OMD charm is back in terms of Peter's character.Same w/ MJ.
    I think he's done enough that next writers can take it that way, but wasn't allowed to do enough to make it the only way.Shame but it's all on the guys after beyond IMO.
    Nothing was really fixed. In some ways Peter is worse. The Thought Police ending the quips being one example. Giving Mephisto a motive for ending the marriage is another ( although the idea of Mayday defeating Mephisto when there are characters in Marvel like Galactus, Odin and Thanos about a billion times more powerful then Mayday ( or even Peter) who have not done it is insane). Bringing Peter and MJ back to the Dan Slott era, is very possible. Why? If it is true that Editorial will not let Peter progress past a certain point, then unless it is an established writer like Zdarsky or Cates, the next solo writer will likely not “Leave The Reservation” and will write to please his ( or her) bosses. Why? It actually works out better for them in the long run. Look at Dan Slott. He got 10 years of writing Spider-Man and most readers did not care for the majority of the run. However, Marvel did which is why he is now writing Fantastic Four.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 10-02-2021 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    He got 10 years of writing Spider-Man and most readers did not care for the majority of the run. However, Marvel did which is why he is now writing Fantastic Four.
    I want to believe that. I really do. But I remember the forum back in those days and there where a lot of flag waving for Slott. From Slott and Wacker themselves also.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Nothing was really fixed. In some ways Peter is worse. The Thought Police ending the quips being one example. Giving Mephisto a motive for ending the marriage is another ( although the idea of Mayday defeating Mephisto when there are characters in Marvel like Galactus, Odin and Thanos about a billion times more powerful then Mayday ( or even Peter) who have not done it is insane). Bringing Peter and MJ back to the Dan Slott era, is very possible. Why? If it is true that Editorial will not let Peter progress past a certain point, then unless it is an established writer like Zdarsky or Cates, the next solo writer will likely not “Leave The Reservation” and will write to please his ( or her) bosses. Why? It actually works out better for them in the long run. Look at Dan Slott. He got 10 years of writing Spider-Man and most readers did not care for the majority of the run. However, Marvel did which is why he is now writing Fantastic Four.
    Quips haven't been ended.He's just keeping quite when situation is extremely serious, which a it is.You want him making jokes on Harry's dead body.

It's a battle of will,not just physical strength.Peter has beaten Zarathos which surprised Beyonder himself and Mephisto.Peter and Mayday can absolutely be threats.

Not gonna happen, the entire point of the run was to cement PeterMJ isn't goin anywhere anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I want to believe that. I really do. But I remember the forum back in those days and there where a lot of flag waving for Slott. From Slott and Wacker themselves also.
    Maybe on CBR, I wasn't here during that but a lot of fans did hate it when it was coming out.