Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

A founding yet very underappreciated Avenger......in the movies I really wish she would have been established as a member from the get go. Hulk while a founding member is not really someone I think of as truly one of them he works better away from them and I think Stan realized that early on meanwhile Jan named the team and was large part of the history as a consistent member and a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    A founding yet very underappreciated Avenger......in the movies I really wish she would have been established as a member from the get go. Hulk while a founding member is not really someone I think of as truly one of them he works better away from them and I think Stan realized that early on meanwhile Jan named the team and was large part of the history as a consistent member and a leader.
    I'm fine with Hulk in the Avengers when handled well but otherwise I agree with you.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, they could be, but I think they're just there to make a point .
    Haha, so funny

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Maybe they are some new type of Wasp Sting that shoot at enemies?
    Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    I think she would've been better as a member from the start because she adds more variety, instead of just another flying guy or powerless personality-less grunt. The MCU has shown there's a lot one can do with the shrinking/growing power.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    They still going w/ Pym being a domestic absuser....

One script misinterpreted and the poor guy has never recovered

Still gonna get it because Wasp and Darkhold both seem cool but damn

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Good to hear .

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...ases-full-list Marvel spotlighting Darkhold Wasp in their weekly comic list article (though with the wrong cover)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    They still going w/ Pym being a domestic absuser....

One script misinterpreted and the poor guy has never recovered

Still gonna get it because Wasp and Darkhold both seem cool but damn
    Much as I love Jan as a character....it is interesting that people don't keep tearing her down for taking advantage of a mentally unstable man to get him to marry her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Much as I love Jan as a character....it is interesting that people don't keep tearing her down for taking advantage of a mentally unstable man to get him to marry her.
    Its not a constant thing, but you do come across fans tossing that accusation at her from time to time.

I think part of the reason she doesn't get a lot of flak for it though is that the story has always been very clear that Hank DID want to marry her. He was just having trouble working up the nerve, so it was the alternate persona of Yellowjacket that finally said the words for him. She didn't trap him into anything he didn't want. When his breakdown was resolved and he was back to 'normal' Hank was very happy to be married to Jan. He could easily have had the marriage annulled at that point if he didn't really want to be married to her, or felt that she had taken advantage of him....but they kept the marriage going.

The story of HOW the marriage happened is certainly bonkers, and is one more piece in an overall pattern of bizarre and unhealthy behaviours in that relationship--but I think most fans that aren't deliberately misinterpreting things to troll the character understand that Jan wasn't really taking advantage of Hank.

Ultimate Member

Their relationship is always a little bizarre and questionable. But it would be nice to show Jan has more than just that part of her history

I know, right?! Still LOVE the scene when she discovered the true identity of Yellowjacket (XD)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Its not a constant thing, but you do come across fans tossing that accusation at her from time to time.

I think part of the reason she doesn't get a lot of flak for it though is that the story has always been very clear that Hank DID want to marry her. He was just having trouble working up the nerve, so it was the alternate persona of Yellowjacket that finally said the words for him. She didn't trap him into anything he didn't want. When his breakdown was resolved and he was back to 'normal' Hank was very happy to be married to Jan. He could easily have had the marriage annulled at that point if he didn't really want to be married to her, or felt that she had taken advantage of him....but they kept the marriage going.

The story of HOW the marriage happened is certainly bonkers, and is one more piece in an overall pattern of bizarre and unhealthy behaviours in that relationship--but I think most fans that aren't deliberately misinterpreting things to troll the character understand that Jan wasn't really taking advantage of Hank.
    The point is that Hank was not in his right mind and she took advantage of that to get what she wanted.

I just think it needs to be acknowledged that neither of them was at their best in that time period.

Astonishing Member

The point is that Hank was not in his right mind and she took advantage of that to get what she wanted.
    It was later revealed that she was actually instructed by a SHIELD psychologist to play along with Hank's delusion to prevent his psyche from deteriorating further, so no, she wasn't "taking advantage"--she was acting against her own wishes to follow the medical advice of the psychologist trying to help Pym through his breakdown.

Even leaving aside that retcon that tried to tidy up that mess of a story, the fact remains that the wedding was also what Hank wanted. The wedding was not a result of him not being in his right mind--he was planning to do that anyway. So to word it as "she took advantage to get what she wanted" misrepresents what actually happened and makes it sound more sinister than it was. She went ahead with what they BOTH wanted--but under extremely dubious circumstances (going by the original, pre-retcon version of the story).

I just think it needs to be acknowledged that neither of them was at their best in that time period.
    No one is disputing that.

That story was an absolute mess -- even if we allow that it was a different time so the disturbing implications of Hank getting married during a mental breakdown somehow didn't occur to the writer and editors, we are still left with the insane notion that somehow none of the Avengers were able to recognize Hank's voice because he changed his costume (which is another of the things the EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES II miniseries tried to explain away).

Jan really isn't at her best for the first 150 issues or so of AVENGERS. She has some good moments here and there along the way, but for the most part she is either the underused 'token woman', or she is being badly portrayed in ways that are either sexist or just plain bizarre (such as this wedding story). The sad part is that Roy Thomas likely intended this to be a positive thing for Jan, showing how smart she was to recognize Hank when everyone else was fooled, etc.

Extraordinary Member

I remember hearing about that once a while back.And it appears to be true and damn no one talks about it

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Their relationship is always a little bizarre and questionable. But it would be nice to show Jan has more than just that part of her history
    Yeah, seeing it as a messy relationship b/w 2 people who were good at heart but messed up >>> Hank abused Wasp and should suffer

Can y'all stop with slandering a female character for questionably sexist writing in the said character's appreciation thread