Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I really didn't like the one-shot. I mean, the art was great and it was mostly well written, but why does every Wasp story need to be centered around Pym's assault? It makes her feel one note. It's sad because I was really looking forward to a new story for her.
    Worst part is we don't get to see her after, it built up all that and just... ended.

The Omega will focus on Doom and Wanda and Darkhold book so we're not getting anything done w/ the others there IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I really didn't like the one-shot. I mean, the art was great and it was mostly well written, but why does every Wasp story need to be centered around Pym's assault? It makes her feel one note. It's sad because I was really looking forward to a new story for her.
    Yeah, I agree with this. I felt let down by the one-shot after having looking forward to it and I wasn't really sure why, but yeah...I didn't want to retread this story that we've seen so many times. There's so much more to Janet than this.

And how would you guys propose to write a one-shot where Jan gets corrupted after reading the darkhold, if not making it about the darkest moment in her history?

With the premise Darkhold crossover is based on, it's the absolute best thing they could have chosen to tackle her going dark after. And the writer clearly had a great handle on Jan. Her snapping was an insanely good moment with the only downside being there is hardly going to be any continuation to it.

It's getting great reviews and I love that. It also got into top 20 in ComiXology which isn't super high but a respectable position for a oneshot

Edit: if we got a Jan oneshot that had nothing to do with this event and even mentioned this story, I would have agreed
    Last edited by Captain M; 11-21-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Imma re-read it and be back because all the reviews I read(aside from comic review sites that give 9's to every other issue) have been Mid to maybe 6-7.Be back ASAP

Extraordinary Member

So, here it goes

->A lot of male-pathetic-female-stinger type dialogue
    ->Jan is once again the ignored/neglected wife and that's literally the meat of the story.She's being ignored and doesn't like it.
    ->She's defined by the man in her life, her entire character and arc is based on her relationship w/ Hank.
    ->She kills him
    ->Way too much buildup w/ not much pay off

I'd say more but there's nothing more to say.There's so little here

Yeah I think they could have done a better job.Even if they wanted to go this way the story should have been a lot more of Jan and less of everything being about Hank and their relationship.

(I'm just speaking my mind , please don't kill me)

Edit: as for what I may have done different, I think seeing Jan's fear of going off the deep end like Hank would have been cooler.Her fear is loosing herself like she saw Hank do, and maybe have Hank try to stop her and then she kills him which sends her even further down the hill into full darkhold Wasp.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-21-2021 at 02:10 PM.

The dialogue and her monologue was superb.

->Jan is once again the ignored/neglected wife and that's literally the meat of the story.She's being ignored and doesn't like it. What even is this complaint, it takes place when they were married, this is their history.. like, what???

->She's defined by the man in her life, her entire character and arc is based on her relationship w/ Hank. That is the exact opposite of what this issue was though?? And what do you mean "her arc", its a oneshot in a crossover, not an independent ongoing. Her arc is her getting corrupted as it is with everyone else.

>Way too much buildup w/ not much pay off That complaint has nothing to do with the premise.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    The dialogue and her monologue was superb.
    Agree to disagree.It was repetitive and boring, the same thing over and over.It tries to be smart and nuanced but isn't

->Jan is once again the ignored/neglected wife and that's literally the meat of the story.She's being ignored and doesn't like it. What even is this complaint, it takes place when they were married, this is their history.. like, what???
    You did the read the part where I said it's the "meat of the story".As explained, the focus was way too much on Hank and that relationship than Janet as a character.

->She's defined by the man in her life, her entire character and arc is based on her relationship w/ Hank. That is the exact opposite of what this issue was though?? And what do you mean "her arc", its a oneshot in a crossover, not an independent ongoing. Her arc is her getting corrupted as it is with everyone else.
    It's not, most of the book is still that but here she retaliates by killing him.In the last page, hence my last complaint

Arc/plot/story whatever, a once-shot should tell a story.This one focused way too much on it's mediocre build up and the ending didn't deliver.

>Way too much buildup w/ not much pay off That complaint has nothing to do with the premise.
    Cool, it affects the one-shot and hence I mentioned it.

No need to take it personally ,you were the one who asked for feedback...

Let the others give their takes as well before we try to come to a conclusion

right then, agree to disagree about everything, but the nonstop complaining about jan's role in this situation in an appreciation thread is annoying, why don't you start a thread to voice your opinion on why this story arc needs to be moved past or something. genuine suggestion

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    right then, agree to disagree about everything, but the nonstop complaining about jan's role in this situation in an appreciation thread is annoying, why don't you start a thread to voice your opinion on why this story arc needs to be moved past or something. genuine suggestion
    I've had one conversation about it, I don't think it's a big enough thing now to make a thread.I thought we had moved past it tbh

I get that, I do but we're just discussing how we will feel about a Wasp story.I don't think that belongs on another thread

Okay... let's see...

I liked the art

I like some of the characterization of Jan. Maybe I'm biased by the more recent publications, but I must say I did read all the TTA, a lot of the first volume of the Avengers book, Busiek's run, WCA... I don't feel like Jan was ever dependant on someone in that way. She was the one with the money, she knew the ways of the world and she was streetsmart. Yes, this story happens at a time where she was more walking on eggs with Hank because he was in a manic phase (albeit no one knew it at that time), but I feel they wrote her a lot more submissive and co-dependant than she really was, even at that time in her life.

I don't really mind the setting they chose for the story (aka the slap) because yes, it was a low point for her. I don't appreciate how they went about it. What if they wrote a story where Jan got fed up and hit Hank instead? Have her go all beserk and sting him to death before he even has a chance to do anything. Then I would have believed she really was going evil darkhold-style.

Now she passes for a woman liberated from her long-time tormenter. Good for her and all that stuff... People over Tumblr are raving about how great she is because she killed Hank. So they further destroyed one already dead character (thanks...) and they didn't even succeed in showing Jan going evil, because people see her as some sort of feminist icon now.

I can appreciate the story for what it is. But as a Pym fan... I'm slightly pissed, honestly.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Ultimate Member

What's wrong with her being a feminist icon?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    What's wrong with her being a feminist icon?
    There's nothing wrong with being a feminist icon.

There's something wrong with being seen as a feminist icon because one has killed a man.

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Okay... let's see...

I liked the art

I like some of the characterization of Jan. Maybe I'm biased by the more recent publications, but I must say I did read all the TTA, a lot of the first volume of the Avengers book, Busiek's run, WCA... I don't feel like Jan was ever dependant on someone in that way. She was the one with the money, she knew the ways of the world and she was streetsmart. Yes, this story happens at a time where she was more walking on eggs with Hank because he was in a manic phase (albeit no one knew it at that time), but I feel they wrote her a lot more submissive and co-dependant than she really was, even at that time in her life.

I don't really mind the setting they chose for the story (aka the slap) because yes, it was a low point for her. I don't appreciate how they went about it. What if they wrote a story where Jan got fed up and hit Hank instead? Have her go all beserk and sting him to death before he even has a chance to do anything. Then I would have believed she really was going evil darkhold-style.

Now she passes for a woman liberated from her long-time tormenter. Good for her and all that stuff... People over Tumblr are raving about how great she is because she killed Hank. So they further destroyed one already dead character (thanks...) and they didn't even succeed in showing Jan going evil, because people see her as some sort of feminist icon now.

I can appreciate the story for what it is. But as a Pym fan... I'm slightly pissed, honestly.
    I agree with your analysis. They made her look too dependent on Hank. He was never in control of her in that way. Jan’s my favorite character, and I also like Hank. So I guess I wanted to see a story about Jan revolving around something else for her first ever solo book. But I don’t know what I really expected since it is Darkhold. I also don’t get why people are praising this version of Wasp for killing this strange version of Hank. The idea is that she’s supposed to be evil. Otherwise she could’ve just divorced him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being a feminist icon.

There's something wrong with being seen as a feminist icon because one has killed a man.
    Ok. I guess it's more that she killed someone shown to be abusing her. Idk. I don't go on Tumblr a lot

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Ok. I guess it's more that she killed someone shown to be abusing her. Idk. I don't go on Tumblr a lot
    Even if he had been abusing her for years (which he hadn't), in the real story, she just walked out and divorced him. The story showed us that she wasn't in any immediate danger, and that she could easily leave the relationship. Hank didn't even argue or anything to try to stay with her because he knew what he had done was wrong.

Killing him wasn't necessary. That showed Jan turning to the dark side (hehe), not being someone finally liberated.

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff