Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Is it even common for superheroines to have short hair? That always seems to get backlash, at least from what I've seen

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Is it even common for superheroines to have short hair? That always seems to get backlash, at least from what I've seen
    From what I've seen, the arguments against short-haired heroines tends to just be from a sexist standpoint.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    From what I've seen, the arguments against short-haired heroines tends to just be from a sexist standpoint.
    That's what I thought. Basically in Eurocentric American culture at least, short hair = man, even though that's not really true. I think Janet's look sets her apart

Yeah, in 616, Janet's hair has never been longer than shoulder length (which is how she had it when she debuted). It has been shown longer in AUs though, such as the Marvel Adventures comics and the comic that page came from (the Origins one-shot, right?). Considering her wings, it's probably more practical for Janet to keep her hair short.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, in 616, Janet's hair has never been longer than shoulder length (which is how she had it when she debuted). It has been shown longer in AUs though, such as the Marvel Adventures comics and the comic that page came from (the Origins one-shot, right?). Considering her wings, it's probably more practical for Janet to keep her hair short.
    Practicality seems to not always factor into female costumes, at least from what I've seen.

I remember that one-shot. I still like the old version, but the new version of when Pym met Jan was very interesting (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I remember that one-shot. I still like the old version, but the new version of when Pym met Jan was very interesting (IMHO):
    I enjoyed this issue too .

Extraordinary Member

I like when they update the origins like this issue did...same with the Daredevil: The Man Without Fear LS...take the elements introduced over time and integrate them into a cohesive story.

Mighty Member

It's so weird the artist drew her like a 19 years old girl. That's quite creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    It's so weird the artist drew her like a 19 years old girl. That's quite creepy.
    I think age-wise that was actually kind of accurate though?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think age-wise that was actually kind of accurate though?
    Yeah, Hank was supposed to be older (like, at least grad student, older, so mid-20s?), and Jan the late teen daughter of the older guy who was mentoring / sponsoring him, or something like that.

That was sort of thing back then. Sue was supposed to be quite a bit younger than Reed, back in the day, as well (he had those gray streaks and Vietnam era backstory, and she was supposed to just be a few years older than Johnny, who was still a teen).

Today, probably best to just push that under the bridge and have them be mostly age-contemporary.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, Hank was supposed to be older (like, at least grad student, older, so mid-20s?), and Jan the late teen daughter of the older guy who was mentoring / sponsoring him, or something like that.

That was sort of thing back then. Sue was supposed to be quite a bit younger than Reed, back in the day, as well (he had those gray streaks and Vietnam era backstory, and she was supposed to just be a few years older than Johnny, who was still a teen).

Today, probably best to just push that under the bridge and have them be mostly age-contemporary.
    Yeah, that's one aspect of those relationships which didn't end well. With Reed and Sue, I always wondered why this middle-aged guy was married to a visibly younger woman. It kinda creeped me out

Well, if she was a legal adult when they met I don't think it's that much of an issue, but that's just my take.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, if she was a legal adult when they met I don't think it's that much of an issue, but that's just my take.
    I guess so, but Idk if that totally makes it ok. Even legally adult relationships can have problems with power dynamics. And tbh, with how both these relationships have gone over the years, Idk if they were totally solid to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I guess so, but Idk if that totally makes it ok. Even legally adult relationships can have problems with power dynamics. And tbh, with how both these relationships have gone over the years, Idk if they were totally solid to begin with.
    I guess then it's just a matter of the individual relationship and the execution.

Hank and Janet had their problems and issues, no doubt, some severe...but I still like them together.