Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    This is why I hate the "it all happened" push, because it can't all happen, there's too many contradictory elements. And then we wind up unsure if characters are married or whatever.
    Personally when it comes to the "it all happened" initiative, I think it helps when you think about it like this.

1. The most important thing right now is the story that is happening right now and what the current writer has either written or kept from the previous run.

2. A past story is free to be mentioned at any time but it is only important in the moment if the writer chooses to reference it for the current story.

3. If the past story is not mentioned, don't think about it in terms of the present story. It could come back later but for now it is not part of the story. Not everything that happened in 1980's or 90's has impact on a 2021 story or needs to be mentioned all at once.

4. Actively acknowledge as the characters have that changes to the universe by reboots or crises have happened and caused contradictions and age weirdness.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    talking about the now lol....No Iris, no Bart, no Tornado Twins. No Wallace, no Justice League...the list goes on and on, of things and people being taken from Barry.
    Bart is not a part of Barry's history. Iris was IMPROVED as a character when Barry was gone and even in the reboot was a constant part of the series, though I dislike the fact that DC didn't want to make her the primary love interest. They did the same thing with Lois and it was dumb, there, too, but they didn't burn either character. Iris is nearly as important to Wally as Barry.

I don't know what you mean by no Wallace, he's still around. Barry is in both Justice League and Justice League Incarnate in Infinite Frontier. Barry is also still in The Flash series though will likely not be in it after the first arc -- he's the ONLY Flash family member around, as a matter of fact. That's it. That's what he's given up now and even in the past when he was legitimately dead Wally's Flash run didn't just treat Barry with respect, it revered the man. When Barry came back they absolutely destroyed Wally and everything about him. There is no comparing the two when it comes to sanctity of their place in the DC Universe.
    Last edited by Dred; 07-02-2021 at 12:37 PM.

I don't know what they're going to do with Wallace now that Barry's gone. I guess if Adams wants to touch on the whole Flash Family he might show up again in a prominent way.

I'm still worried they might try to transport Jess Quick to the main universe and replace him.

Astonishing Member

Wallace hasn't really been a big part of The Flash main series for a hot second anyhow. He's mostly just been in Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Wallace hasn't really been a big part of The Flash main series for a hot second anyhow. He's mostly just been in Teen Titans.
    I think Williamson brought him in when it counted (sometimes just to drag Barry down, but still).

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    That winning Barry smile .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Williamson brought him in when it counted (sometimes just to drag Barry down, but still).
    Yeah, Williamson used Wallace as one of Barry's sidekicks, and when he was absent, Teen Titans is the explanation - he's at Teen Titans Academy now. Barry had a second sidekick too, who Williamson created - Avery Ho. He didn't give her a codename when he created her, but she became known as another Flash when she joined the New Super-Man book as a member of the Justice League of China. When that book was cancelled, she came back to The Flash and started appearing pretty much every time Wallace did. The JLC still exists, which explains any absences and is where she is now.

Wally's primary sidekick, it seems, will be Irey as Impulse II. Though I won't be surprised if Bart is used too. Jai will obviously appear, but can't be a sidekick as he doesn't have powers any more.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-04-2021 at 05:28 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Williamson used Wallace as one of Barry's sidekicks, and when he was absent, Teen Titans is the explanation - he's at Teen Titans Academy now. Barry had a second sidekick too, who Williamson created - Avery Ho. He didn't give her a codename when he created her, but she became known as another Flash when she joined the New Super-Man book as a member of the Justice League of China. When that book was cancelled, she came back to The Flash and started appearing pretty much every time Wallace did. The JLC still exists, which explains any absences and is where she is now.

Wally's primary sidekick, it seems, will be Irey as Impulse II. Though I won't be surprised if Bart is used too. Jai will obviously appear, but can't be a sidekick as he doesn't have powers any more.
    Didn’t Jai have powers in the last issues or so of Williamson’s Flash? I remember him in his orange costume running with all the Flashes.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Personally when it comes to the "it all happened" initiative, I think it helps when you think about it like this.

1. The most important thing right now is the story that is happening right now and what the current writer has either written or kept from the previous run.

2. A past story is free to be mentioned at any time but it is only important in the moment if the writer chooses to reference it for the current story.

3. If the past story is not mentioned, don't think about it in terms of the present story. It could come back later but for now it is not part of the story. Not everything that happened in 1980's or 90's has impact on a 2021 story or needs to be mentioned all at once.

4. Actively acknowledge as the characters have that changes to the universe by reboots or crises have happened and caused contradictions and age weirdness.
    I understand that it's helpful to read the stories in the moment, but that makes the "everything happened" mandate something to be overcome instead of something that's enhancing the experience - for me.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I understand that it's helpful to read the stories in the moment, but that makes the "everything happened" mandate something to be overcome instead of something that's enhancing the experience - for me.
    I don't know, it works for me because it just feels like natural life. I don't always reference my trip to disneyworld in my natural life but I can always refer back to it when its appropriate...then again maybe its not the same because its not like my own life is filled with reality altering shenanigans (that I know of at least). The only time I ever been rebooted is when I went to post-college school and was a first year again.

But either way I view it as an enhancement because there it means there is history to be drawn upon and I think History and Legacy is a big draw for what I like about dc comics
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    ...That's a really clunky suit, I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I don't know, it works for me because it just feels like natural life. I don't always reference my trip to disneyworld in my natural life but I can always refer back to it when its appropriate...then again maybe its not the same because its not like my own life is filled with reality altering shenanigans (that I know of at least). The only time I ever been rebooted is when I went to post-college school and was a first year again.

But either way I view it as an enhancement because there it means there is history to be drawn upon and I think History and Legacy is a big draw for what I like about dc comics
    I definitely want history and legacy, but I think a basic understanding of what I've read is the history still is helpful for context.
    For example, did the Selina Kyle of today's comics give up a baby for adoption? The pre Flashpoint one did. The current one (post Rebirth or whatever we're going with now)? I have no idea.
    That's a pretty big experience that should shape her life and might be something I give a thought to if she's showing her maternal side to one of Bruce's many children/sidekicks or struggling with her future with him.
    When those kind of moments come up, it can leave me feeling disconnected from the character and story.
    Less monumental details like how many times this person fought that person naturally wouldn't make the same impact on a regular issue.
    Also, thanks for talking this out with me. It's nice of you take the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...That's a really clunky suit, I'm sorry.
    I hate it. Speedsters should be sleek. This is just a clunky mess.