Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Default What is up with BTAS episodes order?

I'm watching BTAS on HBO Max and the episode order seems extremely wonky. Its skipping all over the place in terms of story and continuity. It's not bothersome but it's very noticeable. One episode is part 1 of an arc and then the next episode is an entirely different story.

I looked up the episodes on wikipedia and they have it listed in a different order. Other websites do this too. Is this something fans created? If anything I might just stick with HBO Max's order.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Don't know what's up with Max but originally BTAS has 2 orders. Airing order and actual chronological order. The intended chronology started with Leather Wings but when it first aired on TV, it started with Cat and Claw. No idea why, probably to cash in on Catwoman in Batman Returns at that time, but they publish it in the intended order when it came out on DVD.

HBO Max has Batman: The Animated Series in original airdate order, which was not the same as production order. The DVD sets and DC Universe had the series in production order.

When B:TAS originally launched, new episodes were aired Saturday mornings, and weekday afternoons (they aired many new episodes the first year). Cat and the Claw Part 1 was the first episode ever aired, on a Saturday morning. Then they aired On Leather Wings as a special in primetime Sunday night the first week only. Then the first week of weekday afternoon episodes ranged from Heart of Ice on Monday thru Joker's Favor on Friday. The second Saturday morning, they aired Cat and the Claw Part 2. I type all this from memory, since I remember watching all of these brand new on TV that week when I was 10 years old.
    Last edited by kevink31593; 01-03-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    HBO Max has Batman: The Animated Series in original airdate order, which was not the same as production order. The DVD sets and DC Universe had the series in production order.

When B:TAS originally launched, new episodes were aired Saturday mornings, and weekday afternoons (they aired many new episodes the first year). Cat and the Claw Part 1 was the first episode ever aired, on a Saturday morning. Then they aired On Leather Wings as a special in primetime Sunday night the first week only. Then the first week of weekday afternoon episodes ranged from Heart of Ice on Monday thru Joker's Favor on Friday. The second Saturday morning, they aired Cat and the Claw Part 2. I type all this from memory, since I remember watching all of these brand new on TV that week when I was 10 years old.
    I remember the same.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Thanks for explaining!

Wow, must've been exciting watching this when it was coming out.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

My memory's not as specific, but I was also around 10 when B:TAS first aired, and I remember being so confused/frustrated waiting for "Cat and the Claw Pt.2"! I had much of the first season recorded on VHS, and my mom recently found the tapes in her garage. Unfortunately no one on Earth has a VCR anymore, so I can' tell how my work held up.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES