Super Moderator

Default Pipeline - Aug 19, 2014

Augie revisits his appearance on CNBC last week to talk about the business of comics, and shares the behind the scenes story.

Full article here.

Badwulf

Wow, you're pretty hard on McFarlane. Ears and Chins cut off in panels? McFarlane may not be perfect but at least he was giving us beautiful art and unique images of Spiderman and villains. Even Erik Larson barrowed some ideas. I thought he really visually enhanced the stories. He's definitely not a great writer which showed in his own Spiderman book but at least his art was pleasing to look at. I couldn't stand it while John Romita Jr. had Amazing Spiderman. It was the worst. I thought I was back in the 70's again. Give McFarlane a break. Pick on Rob Liefeld's terrible anatomy, at least he deserves the ridicule. Not bashing you, just putting in my 2 bits.

I've been effusive with my praise of McFarlane over the past few months, but I think his best stuff is clearly his superhero stuff, where he gets to draw fun costumes and big action.

There's a big difference between being a great artist and being a great storyteller, though. McFarlane still told the story, but in a way that now has me feeling claustrophobic. Rare are the panels where characters aren't getting cut off. This is basic Layout 101 type stuff. McFarlane needs more wide and medium-range angles in his storytelling is all I'm saying. He needs to draw smaller to keep things framed more cleanly.

-Augie