Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Default My Hero Academia Appreciation 2021

For lovers of MHA everywhere!

Just bewared there will be spoilers to the manga in this thread
    Last edited by leokearon; 01-03-2021 at 10:20 AM.

spoilers:
    R.I.P Midnight. I can't believe she's gone. This year has started very badly for Class 1-A and the rest of the heroes
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    R.I.P Midnight. I can't believe she's gone. This year has started very badly for Class 1-A and the rest of the heroes
    end of spoilers
    Rest in Power to the dominatrix of my heart luckily I still have Mirko
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

New year, new thread, and still a whoooooole lot to deal with...

spoilers:
    Shigaraki/AFO alongside Spinner, Dabi, Skeptic, and 7 Near High-End Nomu manage to escape desperate the Heroes' attempts to stop them. We learn Gigantomachia and a still alive Mr. Compress are arrested, as well as Re-Destro, Geten, Trumpet, and 16,929 of the Liberation Front members, but 132 managed to escape. Also, Toga is still missing as well.

Uraraka and Tsuyu remain in the damaged city trying to help and save as many people as they can. At one point, a hero looks over all the damage and questions to himself if she should just find another job. We also see several of the UA students mourning over...Midnight, who died in battle along with Crust, X-Less, Native, Majestic, and several others. People across the country are also talking about Dabi's confessional, wondering what Endeavor is gonna say next and if it's the end of his career, as he and Midoryia are taken in to be treated for their injuries.

....And then later that night, All For One in Tartarus senses something coming, as the AFO possessing Shigaraki's body prepares to command the remaining Near High-End's to go free his main body.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    So yeah, firstly RIP Midnight. It's a real damn shame, especially through Vigilantes, I've really come to love and appreciate her as such a fun character, so that really stings. Seeing Mina, Kirishima, and Momo crying over her doesn't help, really wanna see how this effects everyone else going forward. She's also definitively the biggest character in the series to die so far. (Also damn I feel bad for Native, survives Stain and dies off screen like this)

Uraraka's plight through the city was also extremely hard to read, felt like something out of War Of The Worlds, with all the screaming and fear and just that sense of hopelessness. And then of course Dabi's words about Endeavor starting to effect everyone else really not helping things. I liked that little cameo of the kids from the Remedial Course.

And lastly, THIS ARC WILL NEVER END. Horikoshi is really just gonna keep trolling us like this, and without a second to breathe, we're getting the fabled "Prison Break". At this point the surprise will be if All For One actually does escape and get his full power, I'm expecting at least 4 more twists to come out of this lol. (Shigaraki gaining control at the last second and killing him is my jinx prediction).
    end of spoilers

We need to talk in the spoiler tag?

spoilers:
    Starting the year with this chapter was tough. I can believe we going to get another action pack arc. It would be the third straight, right? Redestro vs League of Villains, this War we just had and now the prision break.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Drako; 01-03-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Those who frequent this thread are pretty courteous, so yeah.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-05-2021 at 04:28 PM.

So I'm crushed right now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    So yeah, firstly RIP Midnight. It's a real damn shame, especially through Vigilantes, I've really come to love and appreciate her as such a fun character, so that really stings. Seeing Mina, Kirishima, and Momo crying over her doesn't help, really wanna see how this effects everyone else going forward. She's also definitively the biggest character in the series to die so far. (Also damn I feel bad for Native, survives Stain and dies off screen like this)

Uraraka's plight through the city was also extremely hard to read, felt like something out of War Of The Worlds, with all the screaming and fear and just that sense of hopelessness. And then of course Dabi's words about Endeavor starting to effect everyone else really not helping things. I liked that little cameo of the kids from the Remedial Course.

And lastly, THIS ARC WILL NEVER END. Horikoshi is really just gonna keep trolling us like this, and without a second to breathe, we're getting the fabled "Prison Break". At this point the surprise will be if All For One actually does escape and get his full power, I'm expecting at least 4 more twists to come out of this lol. (Shigaraki gaining control at the last second and killing him is my jinx prediction).
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    This is quite the haunting start of the year for the series. The sheer destruction has been apparent throughout the arc, but getting to see it up close after all the action packed chaos has settled is something else entirely. The image of Uraraka taking in the horror around her might be the most oddly beautiful image of her so far. I am so looking forward to all of the aftermath chapters that are coming up. I want to get knee deep into the characters grieving and finding the strength to push forward and rebuild!

I am surprised by how sad I am that Midnight's dead. The abrupt reveal of it with the students crying over her corpse certainly didn't make it better. She was and had some touching scenes with the kids, I'm going to miss that. Also, one of the dead heroes is the dragon guy that said he wanted Shinso working with him during the sports festival. He weirdly stuck out to me more than Native. At least Compress is still alive, though mutilated. That makes me happy.

I really hope that something interrupts the prison break. Mainly Shigaraki taking command and going "**** that! I need to recover!". Because I honestly think we need a break, even if AFO doesn't want one (the *******).
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, this is overall a terrible pre-start to their next year at U.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

spoilers:
    Starting the year with this chapter was tough. I can believe we going to get another action pack arc. It would be the third straight, right? Redestro vs League of Villains, this War we just had and now the prision break.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    There was the Endeavor internship arc between My Villain Academia and this war arc. Though it had action that arc was more focused on the Todoroki family drama and building the relationships of the big three in the class.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Neat, one of the between chapter factoids in volume 29 clarifies Gigantomachia's various quirks. He has seven of them, these explanations are taken from the MHA wiki.

1. Endurance: Gigantomachia's original Quirk allows him to convert his morale into physical energy and stamina.
    2. Pain Blocking: Gigantomachia's second Quirk makes him unable to detect any pain.
    3. Gigantification: Gigantomachia's third Quirk allows the bones in his body, such as his fingers and teeth, to grow to exponential lengths when agitated to increase his defense and attack power. This also causes them to jut out of his flesh unnaturally.
    4. Dog: Gigantomachia's fourth Quirk provides him with a keen sense of smell and sight, similar to that of a dog's.
    5. Energy Efficiency: Gigantomachia's fifth Quirk allows his body to be able to conserve nutrients and water, allowing him to process without much sleep.
    6. Tough Muscle: Gigantomachia's sixth Quirk allows his muscles to harden to exceptional levels.
    7. Mole: Gigantomachia's seventh Quirk allows him to grow mole-like claws from his fingers to help him dig through the Earth, as well as tear through obstacles, such as buildings.

So yeah, he was basically made to just be monstrous kaiju tank for the League of Villains.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    So I'm crushed right now.

Why? How come?

I really liked Midnight, I knew she was in a bad place last we saw, but I was hopeful she'd make it out alive.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    This is quite the haunting start of the year for the series. The sheer destruction has been apparent throughout the arc, but getting to see it up close after all the action packed chaos has settled is something else entirely. The image of Uraraka taking in the horror around her might be the most oddly beautiful image of her so far. I am so looking forward to all of the aftermath chapters that are coming up. I want to get knee deep into the characters grieving and finding the strength to push forward and rebuild!

I am surprised by how sad I am that Midnight's dead. The abrupt reveal of it with the students crying over her corpse certainly didn't make it better. She was and had some touching scenes with the kids, I'm going to miss that. Also, one of the dead heroes is the dragon guy that said he wanted Shinso working with him during the sports festival. He weirdly stuck out to me more than Native. At least Compress is still alive, though mutilated. That makes me happy.

I really hope that something interrupts the prison break. Mainly Shigaraki taking command and going "**** that! I need to recover!". Because I honestly think we need a break, even if AFO doesn't want one (the *******).
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's interesting to think about I would say at least half of the damage overall caused in the entire battle was probably just from Gigantomachia alone. The random PLF members definitively were a nuisance that made things harder (they were the ones who killed Midnight), but honestly shows that AFO or Shigaraki probably could've ordered him to go wreck havoc at any point they wanted and most everyone would be screwed, which is a pretty scary thought. Even Shigaraki, thanks to Midoryia and everyone, was held at bay in just the Hospital ruins so he didn't even do as much damage as he could've.

It is a cool thing Horikoshi does is that he is able to throw in these ancillary unnamed heroes that reappear occasionally. I believe another one the dead heroes was one of the guys who was there during the Endeavor Vs. Hood fight. It is a shame about Majestic, gets talked about like an important character, shows up with a cool design, and then is immediately dispatched. Also something else I saw someone point out, about 19 heroes died (and of course unknown amount of civilians), but only 1 villain died, being Twice, while the rest were just arrested or escaped.

At this point I'm just expecting at least some new surprise reveal regarding Stain and/or Overhaul. And then pretty much anything else goes.

Oh and something else forgot to mention, THIRTEEN (PARTIAL) FACE REVEAL! Though still doesn't help clarify gender (they've been referred to as both "he" and "she", so at this point I've just been referring to them as neutral lol)
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Neat, one of the between chapter factoids in volume 29 clarifies Gigantomachia's various quirks. He has seven of them, these explanations are taken from the MHA wiki.

1. Endurance: Gigantomachia's original Quirk allows him to convert his morale into physical energy and stamina.
    2. Pain Blocking: Gigantomachia's second Quirk makes him unable to detect any pain.
    3. Gigantification: Gigantomachia's third Quirk allows the bones in his body, such as his fingers and teeth, to grow to exponential lengths when agitated to increase his defense and attack power. This also causes them to jut out of his flesh unnaturally.
    4. Dog: Gigantomachia's fourth Quirk provides him with a keen sense of smell and sight, similar to that of a dog's.
    5. Energy Efficiency: Gigantomachia's fifth Quirk allows his body to be able to conserve nutrients and water, allowing him to process without much sleep.
    6. Tough Muscle: Gigantomachia's sixth Quirk allows his muscles to harden to exceptional levels.
    7. Mole: Gigantomachia's seventh Quirk allows him to grow mole-like claws from his fingers to help him dig through the Earth, as well as tear through obstacles, such as buildings.

So yeah, he was basically made to just be monstrous kaiju tank for the League of Villains.
    I saw this too! Vol. 29 has a lot of little cool bonus pages, like an info sheet for Majestic, and explaining where Monoma, Vlad King, etc. were during all this (Im glad to finally know about that lol).

It's funny to think that Gigantification ISN'T Gigantomachia's original Quirk, but it also makes sense that his original was something like Endurance because then it explains how he would have enough energy and stamina to naturally be able to handle this amount of Quirks no problem.

Astonishing Member

It's amazing how many new and creative superpowers Horikoshi is able to come up with given we are so deep into superhero culture and have so many superheroes by now. I would love for Marvel and DC to get more creative with the powers of any new characters they make.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    It's interesting to think about I would say at least half of the damage overall caused in the entire battle was probably just from Gigantomachia alone. The random PLF members definitively were a nuisance that made things harder (they were the ones who killed Midnight), but honestly shows that AFO or Shigaraki probably could've ordered him to go wreck havoc at any point they wanted and most everyone would be screwed, which is a pretty scary thought. Even Shigaraki, thanks to Midoryia and everyone, was held at bay in just the Hospital ruins so he didn't even do as much damage as he could've.

It is a cool thing Horikoshi does is that he is able to throw in these ancillary unnamed heroes that reappear occasionally. I believe another one the dead heroes was one of the guys who was there during the Endeavor Vs. Hood fight. It is a shame about Majestic, gets talked about like an important character, shows up with a cool design, and then is immediately dispatched. Also something else I saw someone point out, about 19 heroes died (and of course unknown amount of civilians), but only 1 villain died, being Twice, while the rest were just arrested or escaped.

At this point I'm just expecting at least some new surprise reveal regarding Stain and/or Overhaul. And then pretty much anything else goes.

Oh and something else forgot to mention, THIRTEEN (PARTIAL) FACE REVEAL! Though still doesn't help clarify gender (they've been referred to as both "he" and "she", so at this point I've just been referring to them as neutral lol)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The heroes did have the whole situation pretty much under control until Shigaraki woke up and Gigantomachia was unleashed. Those two really threw things for a loop with their sheer raw power. And while Shigaraki was held at bay, that was only possible because of tons of focused fire on him, him being inexperienced with his new quirks and the process giving him those quirks being unfinished, and even then he destroyed a large portion of the city all on his own. It's scary to think that this is the good scenario. If Hawks hadn't managed to infiltrate the PLF and uncover their plot then they would've been able to launch their own organised assault with a fully functioning Shigaraki leading the charge. So yeah, this whole horrifying situation is the good ending.

I'd be surprised of the 19 heroes shown were the "only" ones that died. It just seems like such a huge battle would have more deaths, even before the two uber-villains got unleashed. But yeah, in terms of casualties the villains seem to have gotten off quite lightly. I wonder if all the ones that escaped will be more important down the line. Majestic is such a weird case of a character, I really hope that they give a proper presentation in the anime.

Oh yeah, we got to see part of Thirteen's face. I did a short spit-take on that. I some times forget that there's a person in there, and not a living black hole that some early fan theories speculated.
    end of spoilers

I saw this too! Vol. 29 has a lot of little cool bonus pages, like an info sheet for Majestic, and explaining where Monoma, Vlad King, etc. were during all this (Im glad to finally know about that lol).

It's funny to think that Gigantification ISN'T Gigantomachia's original Quirk, but it also makes sense that his original was something like Endurance because then it explains how he would have enough energy and stamina to naturally be able to handle this amount of Quirks no problem.
    Cool, looking forward to that.

I do have a vague memory that somebody mentions in series that Gigantomachia could handle multiple quirks specifically because he's stupid tough. I think it was the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's amazing how many new and creative superpowers Horikoshi is able to come up with given we are so deep into superhero culture and have so many superheroes by now. I would love for Marvel and DC to get more creative with the powers of any new characters they make.
    Especially as he doesn't go for the obvious and common abilities like Super-strength, Flight, telepathy etc. That's what makes MHA so interesting