Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

spoilers:
    This is basically just one big trip down memory lane as all Deku's classmates try to get him to stop by reminding him everything he has done to help or inspire them. It's a great showcase for all the little moments in showing how much they all care, and love the variety where they all bring something different to the table in their speeches. Stuff like Kaminari admitting they don't have much in common but still consider them friends anyway, Shoji and Tokoyami repeating advice that he's given him, Sero telling him he won't give him food colouring for Eri, etc. I really liked Jiro's interaction the most, because it adds the little self-reflection of not only her being happy to learn from him, but him also being happy that she didn't think his note taking was a useless hobby.

A good structure overall as it isn't really a "fight", but rather just escaping and trying to restrain, which obviously makes sense as none actually want to fight each other. We still got Aoyama, Toru, Mina, Mineta, and Kirishima to go through next chapter, before most likely ending off with Iida and Uraraka as the last to slap some sense into him.

And yeah, no chapter next week as all of SJ is on break for the Olympics.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    This is basically just one big trip down memory lane as all Deku's classmates try to get him to stop by reminding him everything he has done to help or inspire them. It's a great showcase for all the little moments in showing how much they all care, and love the variety where they all bring something different to the table in their speeches. Stuff like Kaminari admitting they don't have much in common but still consider them friends anyway, Shoji and Tokoyami repeating advice that he's given him, Sero telling him he won't give him food colouring for Eri, etc. I really liked Jiro's interaction the most, because it adds the little self-reflection of not only her being happy to learn from him, but him also being happy that she didn't think his note taking was a useless hobby.

A good structure overall as it isn't really a "fight", but rather just escaping and trying to restrain, which obviously makes sense as none actually want to fight each other. We still got Aoyama, Toru, Mina, Mineta, and Kirishima to go through next chapter, before most likely ending off with Iida and Uraraka as the last to slap some sense into him.

And yeah, no chapter next week as all of SJ is on break for the Olympics.
    end of spoilers
    This was a really nice chapter.

spoilers:

This montage of scenes is really effective since the reader is reminded of it all alongside Deku. Seeing how all these interactions, big and small, have kinda snowballed into the class having such a tight bond. It's not just with Deku either, Horikoshi has a done a great job of creating little snippets here and there for practically every member of the class where they're just hanging out and being friendly. It's not all super-dramatic moments, just tiny things in the background. It makes these relationships that much more believable, and that why this chapter works really well.

I too think that Jiro's moment was the best, mainly because I'd say that her interaction with Deku held the most narrative weight during its arc.

I think it's not just that Deku doesn't want to fight anybody. He's also aware that what the class is trying to do is going to be really effective and he's doing his best to just not listen to any of it and get away before they break through. I bet that when the anime gets to this scene they'll do all the classmates' interaction in one episode and that'll just break and warm up my heart.

My one complaint is that Bakugou veered towards annoying Bakugou this chapter. I get that the hypocrisy of his comment is kind of a joke, but I just didn't care for it because of the hypocritical aspect and that it's completely wrong since Deku is doing this because everybody is so important to him. I hope that this is Bakugo's contribution and that he doesn't get a big scene where the manga tries to convince what a great friend he is again. Uraraka and Iida getting the last bits would be the absolute best.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

spoilers:

This montage of scenes is really effective since the reader is reminded of it all alongside Deku. Seeing how all these interactions, big and small, have kinda snowballed into the class having such a tight bond. It's not just with Deku either, Horikoshi has a done a great job of creating little snippets here and there for practically every member of the class where they're just hanging out and being friendly. It's not all super-dramatic moments, just tiny things in the background. It makes these relationships that much more believable, and that why this chapter works really well.

I too think that Jiro's moment was the best, mainly because I'd say that her interaction with Deku held the most narrative weight during its arc.

I think it's not just that Deku doesn't want to fight anybody. He's also aware that what the class is trying to do is going to be really effective and he's doing his best to just not listen to any of it and get away before they break through. I bet that when the anime gets to this scene they'll do all the classmates' interaction in one episode and that'll just break and warm up my heart.

My one complaint is that Bakugou veered towards annoying Bakugou this chapter. I get that the hypocrisy of his comment is kind of a joke, but I just didn't care for it because of the hypocritical aspect and that it's completely wrong since Deku is doing this because everybody is so important to him. I hope that this is Bakugo's contribution and that he doesn't get a big scene where the manga tries to convince what a great friend he is again. Uraraka and Iida getting the last bits would be the absolute best.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah Jiro easily had the best moment. Also Deku is trying to run away from his friends' words but it isn't gong to work
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

A weird twist to this whole situation would be spoilers:
    if Stain jumps in and steals away with Izuku right before he gives him to his friends' logic.
    end of spoilers

Just something that popped up in my head.

if Stain jumps in and steals away with Izuku right before he gives him to his friends' logic.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I'm thinking Stain might help stop Deku after talking to All Might, after all Deku is still bleeding.
    end of spoilers

https://www.cbr.com/my-hero-academia...o-shonen-jump/

Yoko Akiyama is writing a new one-shot

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It also makes me appreciate something like School Briefs more. Because Ive heard some people talk about how they wish there was more of these interactions with the classmates in the series, since the flashbacks do seem to show how few and far alot of them are. But with the spinoffs like SB, you get those extra interactions that really help show that these classmates are friends and can be so easily casual with each other, and expand some of the relationships that the main series drops (like the Izuku/Shoto/Ida relationship those novels love to play with).

I will argue with the Bakugo thing since it is supposed to be ironic, how he used to always call everyone "extras". Also because I feel like he is kinda right in this situation that, no matter what his intention, Deku is kind of being selfish and even a little condescending to his friends. He says he's ignoring them because he wants to protect them and doesn't want them to get hurt, but his actions say that he doesn't believe they're strong enough, like how Shoji mentioned contradicting his previous statement that everyone united "could give All Might a scare". I agree that I don't think Bakugo should be the last, since he already had his moment blowing away the Smokescreen, Ida/Uraraka being the last action towards him would make most sense.

It's basically another way to highlight how far Deku has fallen in his tunnel vision, where normally, due to his limited abilities, his best asset was his analytical skills, and using everyone and everything around him to accomplish a task. But now he's reached the point where he's taking advantage and abusing his other Quirks, and pretty much only has one thought "Beat Shiggy/AFO" without any real plan, while the rest of his class are the ones with the actual strategy now.
    end of spoilers

end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Also if you notice, All Might's car is in the corner in one of the last panels, so he's probably over there waiting for them to finish up. Given how all over the place some of Stain's beliefs are, I honestly don't know which side he would think is "correct" for Deku, and how far he would be willing to "help". It would be another pretty insane twist if All Might suddenly shows up with Stain right beside him, already having convinced him.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Inversed; 07-19-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/my-hero-academia...o-shonen-jump/

Yoko Akiyama is writing a new one-shot
    I was expecting this, she also did the Melissa and Deku & Bakugo one-shots for the first two movies, so had a feeling we'd get another for the third movie. The interns fighting Endeavor is a fun little idea.

New trailer for the movie

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

spoilers:
    It also makes me appreciate something like School Briefs more. Because Ive heard some people talk about how they wish there was more of these interactions with the classmates in the series, since the flashbacks do seem to show how few and far alot of them are. But with the spinoffs like SB, you get those extra interactions that really help show that these classmates are friends and can be so easily casual with each other, and expand some of the relationships that the main series drops (like the Izuku/Shoto/Ida relationship those novels love to play with).

I will argue with the Bakugo thing since it is supposed to be ironic, how he used to always call everyone "extras". Also because I feel like he is kinda right in this situation that, no matter what his intention, Deku is kind of being selfish and even a little condescending to his friends. He says he's ignoring them because he wants to protect them and doesn't want them to get hurt, but his actions say that he doesn't believe they're strong enough, like how Shoji mentioned contradicting his previous statement that everyone united "could give All Might a scare". I agree that I don't think Bakugo should be the last, since he already had his moment blowing away the Smokescreen, Ida/Uraraka being the last action towards him would make most sense.

It's basically another way to highlight how far Deku has fallen in his tunnel vision, where normally, due to his limited abilities, his best asset was his analytical skills, and using everyone and everything around him to accomplish a task. But now he's reached the point where he's taking advantage and abusing his other Quirks, and pretty much only has one thought "Beat Shiggy/AFO" without any real plan, while the rest of his class are the ones with the actual strategy now.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Also if you notice, All Might's car is in the corner in one of the last panels, so he's probably over there waiting for them to finish up. Given how all over the place some of Stain's beliefs are, I honestly don't know which side he would think is "correct" for Deku, and how far he would be willing to "help". It would be another pretty insane twist if All Might suddenly shows up with Stain right beside him, already having convinced him.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, that's why I love School Briefs, it allows use to see the gang hang out and be students and not just heroes.

Yeah, you can see All Might's car, in the second to last panel of the chapter. Looks like he's heading to the scene, probably after seeing Shoto's ice wall.
    end of spoilers

The full version of Merry Go Round was released earlier this week, so I've been listening to it non-stop. As a song itself I think it's great, I'm a sucker for Japanese songs with English in it (cause it means its easier for me to sing along to lol), and there's cool little things in this full version, like the music in the bridge actually roundabouts through the left and right speakers. Also when it comes to connecting to MHA, while probably not intentional, I like the double meaning you can take from "And now it's our round". Either from the internees perspective, about the next generation's turn to be the big heroes, or from the villains perspective, about their turn to take the stage and be in charge.

Currently if I had to rank the openings (in terms of purely songs, I'd need to rewatch all to figure out which had best visuals), it'd go:
    Peace Sign
    Polaris
    Star Maker
    Odd Future (anime ver./edits)
    The Day/Merry-Go-Round
    Make My Story/No. 1
    Odd Future (full ver.)
    Singing To The Sky

Extraordinary Member

Just read volumes 27 and 28 and they had some fun extras. A few bits is more information on the five High Ends (including their new names) that the doctor unleashed on the heroes at the hospital, a bit more on X-Less and confirmation that Horikoshi is a total Miriko simp.
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I do concede that Deku is being inconsiderate of his friends' feelings and abilities with his current path. But Izuku genuinely cares about his friends and tends to be amazed by what they can all do. So I don't think he's being outright dismissive of them

Rather, I think the trauma of seeing Bakugou, Gran Torino and Aizawa (and a **** ton of civilians) injured by an evil he's been convinced he has to defeat in combination with his self-sacrifical nature being taken to its logical extreme has put him in an emotional and mental corner where his current actions seem like the most logical course of action. And it's not helped by how the top three heroes, All Might and the vestiges for one reason or another approved of it with their assistance.

Basically, there's a lot more going behind Izuku's actions compared to Bakugou calling people NPCs, and while the various elements don't justify how he's acting, at least there's more to it than sheer arrogance. I also think that Izuku is aware of how he's hurting his friends and that's another thing he's willing to sacrifice to protect him. The kid basically needs to learn how loved he is.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    New trailer for the movie
    Nice, and here's a subbed version.

The villains are basically trying to protect the world from the quirk singularity doomsday theory, which is a cool motivation. Looks like a lot of people will get at least short action scene. Hopefully they'll be impactful despite any possible brevity.
    The full version of Merry Go Round was released earlier this week, so I've been listening to it non-stop. As a song itself I think it's great, I'm a sucker for Japanese songs with English in it (cause it means its easier for me to sing along to lol), and there's cool little things in this full version, like the music in the bridge actually roundabouts through the left and right speakers. Also when it comes to connecting to MHA, while probably not intentional, I like the double meaning you can take from "And now it's our round". Either from the internees perspective, about the next generation's turn to be the big heroes, or from the villains perspective, about their turn to take the stage and be in charge.

Currently if I had to rank the openings (in terms of purely songs, I'd need to rewatch all to figure out which had best visuals), it'd go:
    Good to hear the whole thing. I'm still moving around the OP list with the newest additions so it's not entirely done yet.

Got the full version of Merry-Go-Round, it is really good.

Incredible Member

Honestly this has been my favorite superhero comic of the last decade and could very well go on as one of my favorite superhero stories ever if Hori sticks the landing with the final arc. The way the whole series built up towards the Paranormal Liberation War was nothing short of amazing, it's a geniality of long-term planning. Felt like a big superhero event but actually well done, eventful and with world changing consequences. And to think the arc itself as big as it was was just another stepping stone towards the final arc.

spoilers:
    Rather, I think the trauma of seeing Bakugou, Gran Torino and Aizawa (and a **** ton of civilians) injured by an evil he's been convinced he has to defeat in combination with his self-sacrifical nature being taken to its logical extreme has put him in an emotional and mental corner where his current actions seem like the most logical course of action. And it's not helped by how the top three heroes, All Might and the vestiges for one reason or another approved of it with their assistance.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    That does remind me of something funny I've seen a bunch of people talk about online, that Endeavor and all the heroes are pretty much okay with letting this child kill themselves all on their own and basically doing nothing. Which it does make sense, since they admit they need Midoriya in order to bait out the League, and Endeavor is obviously really bad at this kind of :relationship" thing, it's just funny to think about, and also leads in to why he so easily lets the other students try to handle it.
    end of spoilers

The villains are basically trying to protect the world from the quirk singularity doomsday theory, which is a cool motivation. Looks like a lot of people will get at least short action scene. Hopefully they'll be impactful despite any possible brevity.
    Motivation is definitively leagues above the other two villains, so hoping Flect Turn's character ends up being just as interesting too, especially since I still don't think his design holds up as well as Nine and Wolfram currently.

If I had to predict the way the plot is gonna go based on the trailers we have:
    -The Heroes being assembled and assigned all across the world, with Endeavor Agency going to Otheon
    -The action sequence of them all in their black stealth suits, which ends with Deku being blamed for murder cause of a Trigger bomb.
    -He goes on the run with Rody because he has/knows something about Humarise.
    -The climax has everyone fighting in their respective cities, and Deku confronting Flect Turn at their base.
    Crack theory: Deku's gonna get injected with some Trigger so that's how he fights at 100% in this final battle

Also, checking out the official movie website has some cool extra information regarding what all the character team-ups are, and some profiles of the new heroes and villains. Some of my favourites is that one of the new heroes is named "Claire Voyance" (and her Quirk is Clairvoyance), and one of the villains is literally just Lady Nagant except she's got a bow and arrow now.

https://heroaca-movie.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    Honestly this has been my favorite superhero comic of the last decade and could very well go on as one of my favorite superhero stories ever if Hori sticks the landing with the final arc. The way the whole series built up towards the Paranormal Liberation War was nothing short of amazing, it's a geniality of long-term planning. Felt like a big superhero event but actually well done, eventful and with world changing consequences. And to think the arc itself as big as it was was just another stepping stone towards the final arc.
    It's my absolute favourite current ongoing story, comic or tv series in general, and what's so great is that even when we have some idea of where the story might go, it never exactly goes in that direction, so we're also waiting in anticipation for whenever the next big shoe drops and it's just always so exciting.