Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    It's very weird to me that they would introduce a new character, and even name them, preparing to give them New Order, only for it to then disappear. Makes me really wonder what this Kashiko guy is meant to be involved with next, if anything. Though that page with Star's skull fading away against Tomura and AFO is genuinely excellent, and followed immediately by the incredibly interesting and striking image of Tenko surrounded by the hands. This set-up is really feeling like a hard confirmation we're going to get a big vestige spirit battle that will culminate in Midoriya saving the "Tenko" within. Now where it goes right after, that's anyone's guess.

With the deadline pushed back once again, I'm still hoping they are able to spread everything out to give some time to all the remaining plot and character stuff so they aren't rushing to the end. I feel like they need, at the very least, one kind of low-key 20~ chapter arc that resolves most of the little things before getting to the "Final War" arc: like all the remaining reunions and the rest of the OFA/AFO backstory we haven't gotten yet.

Also, Tomura with gigantic black wings is awesome as hell and I hope he keeps it.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    What's the point of having a deadline if you are going to push it back. The deadline never worked as there was never a sense of urgency from the characters. Also we still have the whole Todoroki family plot to deal with, so all Horokoshi has done is just put himself under pressure.

The whole named crook is strange along with the vestige battle between Star and AFO that accompanies it. It seems that either AFO managed to overpower the Star vestige or he did transfer the quirk over.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I do agree that the sequence of events here are a bit odd. If New Order really is gone for good then the main consequence of the battle is that All For Shigaraki has been weakened to a still unspecificed degree, which is significant in it's own right, and extending a deadline that was already a bit iffy. But introducing a cool new character with a cool new quirk only to get rid of both and pretty much nip the idea of help from international heroes in the bud feels like a bit of a waste (though introducing MORE heroes at this point in the story when many are already complaining that certain characters deserve more screen time than what they're given probably would've been its own issue).

With the spirit battle being almost certainly assured I wonder if there will be a split between Tomura Shigaraki and Tenko Shimura beneath that pit of spirit hands. Something broken that needs to be put together into a whole again. What that whole is and how dangerous it is remains to be seen.

I wouldn't mind a smaller more low key arc at this point. Give us some training at the school, the band enacting their plan to lift the civilian's spirits, Deku getting a new costume and some important talks here and there before the class rushes off to the hunt for All For One and the rest of the league.

And yeah, giving the two bit thug a name and then possibly not having more involved with the story is a bit weird, but not something outside of Horikoshi's previous subversions.

I do like it when superheroes/-villains fly with wings instead of just nothing. So yeah, it would be a cool permanent addition.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    although I like Star and Stripe character I do not like how this whole situation with her was handled in this mini arc. We didnt get any build up to her considering how important and how powerful she is in the verse. Her quirk diminish the importance of OFA to some extent. OFA was treated as the most important quirk in the series but last chapter we learned that it was needed in combination with AFO to beat New Order which kinda hurts its importance in a way. She was created to nerf Shigi and nothing more it seems
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    spoilers:
    although I like Star and Stripe character I do not like how this whole situation with her was handled in this mini arc. We didnt get any build up to her considering how important and how powerful she is in the verse. Her quirk diminish the importance of OFA to some extent. OFA was treated as the most important quirk in the series but last chapter we learned that it was needed in combination with AFO to beat New Order which kinda hurts its importance in a way. She was created to nerf Shigi and nothing more it seems
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, Star was just a mauve shirt designed to weaken both the heroes and the villains
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I do agree that narratively Star was a bit disappointing overall with what it accomplished, but when I look back over it, thematically I can greatly appreciate what it is trying to do. Star's main purpose, outside of being the plot device to depower Shiggy, is to once again show an example of the power of All Might's influence. That his strength and heroism has spread so far across the world and who he's inspired to look up to him and follow in his shoes, like Star did. Almost kind of like an inverse to AFO's own level of influence and control he has in the rest of the world with his crime syndicate.

We see the flashback in her early days of Star questioning herself and having some doubts, bringing back up some of those issues regarding AM being such an immovable pillar that it discourages some people from even trying. However, instead she has people who are there to support her whenever she needs, to tell her how awesome she already is and how she doesn't need to compare herself to AM (exactly like with Deku and Class 1-A). You could also see how it grows to a positive side of her desire to eventually surpass him, versus the negative completely toxic, destructive side of Endeavor's desire to surpass him (even maybe throw some gender politics in there since Star even briefly thinks about how she can't be as strong because "she's a woman").

There's a reason AFO keeps yelling at the "spectre of All Might", because no matter what he tries to do, or how much he "succeeds", All Might's influence still keeps surviving and still keeps undermining him, and no amount of killing or stealing is solving his issues, which is what Star's final lines re-iterate. This also depends on exactly where this goes next, but I think this would also serve as the first big example of AFO being too cocky for his own good. That he's become so desperate and attracted to a power that he makes a mistake that ends up greatly costing him, and I could see this as directly leading to him becoming more careless, and thus easier for everyone to take down.

So yeah, with what Star represents to the overall story of the series, I like how that's handled. Though I also agree, it is really confusing regarding the whole destruction/transfer of New Order, so unless that gets clarified later, that really could've been done a bit better. There's also again, the worry that he's potentially rushing when there's still so many plot elements left, and if they're going to end up doing everything all at once in the final arc. Especially since most of the attention will have to go toward Deku vs. Shigaraki/AFO and the Todorokis vs. Dabi, might be better not to muddle it with other plot threads and resolve those first.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    I do agree that narratively Star was a bit disappointing overall with what it accomplished, but when I look back over it, thematically I can greatly appreciate what it is trying to do. Star's main purpose, outside of being the plot device to depower Shiggy, is to once again show an example of the power of All Might's influence. That his strength and heroism has spread so far across the world and who he's inspired to look up to him and follow in his shoes, like Star did. Almost kind of like an inverse to AFO's own level of influence and control he has in the rest of the world with his crime syndicate.

We see the flashback in her early days of Star questioning herself and having some doubts, bringing back up some of those issues regarding AM being such an immovable pillar that it discourages some people from even trying. However, instead she has people who are there to support her whenever she needs, to tell her how awesome she already is and how she doesn't need to compare herself to AM (exactly like with Deku and Class 1-A). You could also see how it grows to a positive side of her desire to eventually surpass him, versus the negative completely toxic, destructive side of Endeavor's desire to surpass him (even maybe throw some gender politics in there since Star even briefly thinks about how she can't be as strong because "she's a woman").

There's a reason AFO keeps yelling at the "spectre of All Might", because no matter what he tries to do, or how much he "succeeds", All Might's influence still keeps surviving and still keeps undermining him, and no amount of killing or stealing is solving his issues, which is what Star's final lines re-iterate. This also depends on exactly where this goes next, but I think this would also serve as the first big example of AFO being too cocky for his own good. That he's become so desperate and attracted to a power that he makes a mistake that ends up greatly costing him, and I could see this as directly leading to him becoming more careless, and thus easier for everyone to take down.

So yeah, with what Star represents to the overall story of the series, I like how that's handled. Though I also agree, it is really confusing regarding the whole destruction/transfer of New Order, so unless that gets clarified later, that really could've been done a bit better. There's also again, the worry that he's potentially rushing when there's still so many plot elements left, and if they're going to end up doing everything all at once in the final arc. Especially since most of the attention will have to go toward Deku vs. Shigaraki/AFO and the Todorokis vs. Dabi, might be better not to muddle it with other plot threads and resolve those first.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Good point about Star's thematic role and purpose in the story and how she does live up to them. She's not just an ideal heroine in terms of skills and how she behaves but also in how she views the past. All Might is a great hero for her and other to look up to, but instead of seeing him as the peerless peak of all heroes she aimed to surpass him and do even better, hell one of her comrades is the first person who out right says that Star became greater than All Might with this fight. That is, as you say, the healthy way to view not just All Might but heroes in general. As great people that can be inspirations for us all to move to even greater heights. And not as impeccable super stars that we turn on the instant a crack appears on their image.

And casting her involvement as a show of how global All Might's influence as a symbol is as a counter point to AFO's worldwide criminal network is a rather cool touch. Especially since they've effectively cancelled each other out in the main story now.

While certain aspects of the concrete consequences of this fight can be disappointing there are still positive elements as well. All For One is effectively weakened which will help prevent his eventual defeat feel like a stretch, and it is VERY nice to see him loose so much of what he's worked for and planned after him just constantly being on top for several arcs now. This fight also explains why international heroes won't be coming in to help in the fight, which is good because it'll keep the focus on our main cast and give them more chances to save the day as they take their place as the generation of heroes that will bring about the most change. I know a lot of people probably wanted to see more international heroes (me included), but realistically bringing in more characters at this point would've just weighed down the story too much. So this is a bombastic and effective method of dealing with that.

Not getting to see more of Star and Stripe in the story is sad. She was a cool and delightful presence for the time we got with her. Her shining heroism bought the heroes more time and hopefully Horikoshi will use that time in the story to pace out the remaining story beats in an effective and well-written manner.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    All Might reveals to Class 1-A about Shigaraki's current status, as well as all the remaining threats they have left to deal with, while Class 1-A all continue their training in preparing for the upcoming War. Meanwhile, "Shigaraki" returns back to the base screaming in pain, while AFO tells him to rest. Dabi wants to leave already, but AFO tells him to remain on standby for now, because now that Midoriya is back at U.A., he has backup plans and "friends to spare" as it focuses on....Toru Hagakure...
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Okay so first off the obvious, the U.A. Traitor is FINALLY CONFIRMED, and SEEMINGLY REVEALED. Now about it being Toru though....I'm a little suspicious. There's been too many bait-and-switches I don't think it's going to end up being as simple as what it looks here. If it turns out that Toru is the traitor, but is doing it unwillingly due to some deal, then I'll be cool with it (though I think that would work much better with Aoyama). If she isn't the traitor and this is just another troll on Horikoshi's part, I will applaud him again. If she is the traitor and it's just "Hah the invisible girl with no personality was evil all along" then I'll think that's cheap. But we'll have to anxiously wait and see.

An issue I do have with the chapter, Toga suddenly being back with the League. It just feels so random, especially with the setup of her being on her own being much more interesting, also doesn't really make sense how she found it. Also Bakugo back to being all shouty shouty, I get its mostly a joke, but still a tad annoying. Though positives, I like the Class being like "Yea we've been training already this whole time, what do you think we were doing?" I love the AFO/Dabi back-and-forth, that Dabi just clearly doesn't care about AFO's plans and just really wants to murder his dad, and AFO pointing out how he has no plans. And I do hope he decides to take some time going slow, so we don't continue on the breakneck rush pace to the end.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    All Might reveals to Class 1-A about Shigaraki's current status, as well as all the remaining threats they have left to deal with, while Class 1-A all continue their training in preparing for the upcoming War. Meanwhile, "Shigaraki" returns back to the base screaming in pain, while AFO tells him to rest. Dabi wants to leave already, but AFO tells him to remain on standby for now, because now that Midoriya is back at U.A., he has backup plans and "friends to spare" as it focuses on....Toru Hagakure...
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Okay so first off the obvious, the U.A. Traitor is FINALLY CONFIRMED, and SEEMINGLY REVEALED. Now about it being Toru though....I'm a little suspicious. There's been too many bait-and-switches I don't think it's going to end up being as simple as what it looks here. If it turns out that Toru is the traitor, but is doing it unwillingly due to some deal, then I'll be cool with it (though I think that would work much better with Aoyama). If she isn't the traitor and this is just another troll on Horikoshi's part, I will applaud him again. If she is the traitor and it's just "Hah the invisible girl with no personality was evil all along" then I'll think that's cheap. But we'll have to anxiously wait and see.

An issue I do have with the chapter, Toga suddenly being back with the League. It just feels so random, especially with the setup of her being on her own being much more interesting, also doesn't really make sense how she found it. Also Bakugo back to being all shouty shouty, I get its mostly a joke, but still a tad annoying. Though positives, I like the Class being like "Yea we've been training already this whole time, what do you think we were doing?" I love the AFO/Dabi back-and-forth, that Dabi just clearly doesn't care about AFO's plans and just really wants to murder his dad, and AFO pointing out how he has no plans. And I do hope he decides to take some time going slow, so we don't continue on the breakneck rush pace to the end.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Toru being the traitor is surprising, but is it really? As you said we have had plenty of bait and switches and the whole traitor plot was never handled well, with it being dropped and resurrected a few times. I hope her reason is a good one, otherwise it will just show that this whole traitor plot was badly planned.

Yeah Toga being there is odd. The idea of her being on her own would have been more interesting, also how did she even find them or did they find her. I wish we saw some of the gang's training, but it is nice to see that they weren't idle.
    end of spoilers

All-New Member

Yeah, was hoping that too. Guess it's out of our control

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    IToru as the traitor is the theory I've subscribed to the most on this subject since all the clues I've seen make sense, so I'm ok with it so far. Though, if it turns out to be a complete bait and switch bit by Horikoshi I'll be ok with that too and it'll be hilarious. Much like with the Dabi is Touya reveal Horikoshi needs to sell this whole situation with the next few chapters, and that's the case regardless of who the traitor is. It's a weird plot point that's been brought up a few times with the teachers but it's had relatively little impact on the overall story so I wouldn't blame a lot readers (and future anime viewers) if they just straight up forgot about it. Horikoshi needs to explain how this whole thing works and why we should care now when it hasn't really been that important for most of the series I think. That said, I personally am quite intruiged that it's finally getting addressed. Whether it's Toru or somebody else with Toru as a bait and switch I hope that this hits well.

As for the rest of the chapter:
    - I do agree that it's quite the missed opportunity to have Toga reunite with the League off-screen. Her wandering the streets and trying to find her friends as she runs into other characters would've been really fun and interesting, especially if she met up with Stain.
    - I figured that enough people like the humor is Bakugo being confident in the loud and rude kind of way so it was never gonna go away. But yeah, I still find it more annoying than anything else.
    - The rest of the class training off-screen is good. Hopefully they'll all get to show it all off in the coming arc, though I also hope that Izuku's growth isn't just swept under the rug since his quirk is so much more busted by now and he's gotten really advanced on his little solo trip. It's a balancing issue in the writing that I'm always concerned about in shounen series.
    - I'm always down the the League just not gelling with AFO. He's got this grand master plan with details and contingencies, and they just want to do their own thing which Shigaraki was gonna let them do.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    Toru as the traitor is the theory I've subscribed to the most on this subject since all the clues I've seen make sense, so I'm ok with it so far. Though, if it turns out to be a complete bait and switch bit by Horikoshi I'll be ok with that too and it'll be hilarious. Much like with the Dabi is Touya reveal Horikoshi needs to sell this whole situation with the next few chapters, and that's the case regardless of who the traitor is. It's a weird plot point that's been brought up a few times with the teachers but it's had relatively little impact on the overall story so I wouldn't blame a lot readers (and future anime viewers) if they just straight up forgot about it. Horikoshi needs to explain how this whole thing works and why we should care now when it hasn't really been that important for most of the series I think. That said, I personally am quite intruiged that it's finally getting addressed. Whether it's Toru or somebody else with Toru as a bait and switch I hope that this hits well.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It'll also greatly depend how much it turns out the Traitor actually did, since even that has been pretty vague. We know they obviously leaked the location of the Summer Camp, but the rest has been up in the air. The implication has always been to me, and seemingly confirmed here, that the Traitor has no connection to the League, but rather just to AFO, so Shigaraki and the others have no idea who they are, and makes sense why the Traitor made no moves after the Camp, since AFO was in prison. I personally still really like Aoyama as the traitor idea, since there's set-up to it (if AFO gave him the belt now his family is indebted to him), and it would fit in line with his characterization, being very aloof and nervous because he's doing these bad things he doesn't want to. Aoyama is the only other 1-A character missing from this chapter, so it's why I'm still a little suspicious on what he has going on.
    end of spoilers

Also, next chapter (which is the first WSJ issue for 2022), will include the results of the 7th Popularity Poll! So let's see what random character gets into the Top 10 this time lol

Extraordinary Member

Also, next chapter (which is the first WSJ issue for 2022), will include the results of the 7th Popularity Poll! So let's see what random character gets into the Top 10 this time lol
    It is finally Centipeder's time to shine!!!

In personal news, I just bought the first Team-Up Missions volume and it's alright. It's clearly more of side-project and generally feels aimed at an even younger audience, which is pefectly fine. I really like the final chapter that shows Melissa's origin story (revealing David's useless quirk was a fun touch). But my main issue is that there are no unusual team ups in it.

Give me something like Hawks needs a flying team so Uraraka, Nejire, Inasa and whoever else that can fly are assembled for that. Or something where the more captured based students (Sero, Mineta, Bondo and that hairy guy from Shiketsu) have to learn how to work together and not just get their quirks all tangled up with each other. That's what I was hoping for rather than Deku and Bakugo just being in every single chapter, almost.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 12-01-2021 at 02:08 AM.

In personal news, I just bought the first Team-Up Missions volume and it's alright. It's clearly more of side-project and generally feels aimed at an even younger audience, which is pefectly fine. I really like the final chapter that shows Melissa's origin story (revealing David's useless quirk was a fun touch). But my main issue is that there are no unusual team ups in it.

Give me something like Hawks needs a flying team so Uraraka, Nejire, Inasa and whoever else that can fly are assembled for that. Or something where the more captured based students (Sero, Mineta, Bondo and that hairy guy from Shiketsu) have to learn how to work together and now just get their quirks all tangled up with each other. That's what I was hoping for rather than Deku and Bakugo just being in every single chapter, almost.
    I liked the Mei/Melissa team-up. It makes sense for the first two chapters to focus on the popular characters to get people interested, luckily it seems Volume 2 will have more interesting team-ups.

Give me something like Hawks needs a flying team so Uraraka, Nejire, Inasa and whoever else that can fly are assembled for that. Or something where the more captured based students (Sero, Mineta, Bondo and that hairy guy from Shiketsu) have to learn how to work together and not just get their quirks all tangled up with each other. That's what I was hoping for rather than Deku and Bakugo just being in every single chapter, almost.
    Team-Up Missions definitely feels like basically the School Briefs stories, but now drawn and with some more action focus. I agree they don't really go as far with the unusual team-ups as they could've, like some of those ideas you mentioned, instead it's mostly about giving spotlight to certain characters with familiar dynamics.

The 2nd volume, which comes out in English in January, has stuff like Midoriya teaming up with Tokoyami & Kuroiro, an Ojiro & Toru spotlight chapter, a fun one with Bakugo, Todoroki, Kirishima, and Camie at an amusement park, and one that's just Monoma harassing 1-A like usual. And apparently future chapters include a Mt. Lady/Kamui Woods spotlight, a Shinso spotlight, and a Body Swap chapter, so definitely still some fun things here and there.

Cool, Team Up Vol 2 is coming out in January. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Cool, Team Up Vol 2 is coming out in January. Can't wait
    It's a shame Viz/SJ only wait until the English volume comes out till they put them on the app, instead of actually updating it as the chapters are released. Especially because, based on how the releases have been, seems like we'll only be getting 1 volume a year, and nobody online seems to post any scans or translations of the chapters, so there's no real way to read them. I had to buy the French copy of Volume 2 and slowly self-translate it in order to try and read it haha. So it'll be good to finally get it officially!