Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    The fact that she immediately checked to see if her quirk connected to the system makes me think she's some kind of master thief, possibly a "Black Cat/Catwoman" type, which would be really cool to see in this series.

Wouldn't that be some weird twist of fate, that it was Stain's words that directly led to this rise in villains, and now they are somehow able to use his words to counteract the villains taking power, to dismay wanna-be villains and reinvigorate some semblance of support for the public.

I'm actually really curious to see how a rematch with Muscular would go, since I have no idea if it would be an "easy clean sweep" for him. He did have to go over 100% to take him down, but he was also pretty much brute forcing it, while now he has up to 45% free control, much faster agility and skill, plus three extra quirks. I do think this Midoriya could probably handle Stain one-on-one.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    While that would be cool, it seems a bit too lowend for her to be tossed into Tartarus. This is the place where the worst of the worst are left to rot. So what could she possibly have stolen to end up there. The mystery angle is what makes this brief appearance fun.

That would be a weird twist. If they could somehow turn his zeal towards good that would be a cool development. *hope for a Suicide Squad with Stain and Gentle on the team is reignited*

I'm thinking that Deku's current 100% is closer to OFA true power than when he defeated Muscular, so he might be able to deal more consistent damage. And yeah, he should be able to move better now, and can see him messing up Muscular's movement with Black Whip. That would actually be cool, if he won a rematch by out-thinking Muscular and combining his quirks against him, rather that straight breaking his body again. Stain would probably be screwed now.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    While that would be cool, it seems a bit too lowend for her to be tossed into Tartarus. This is the place where the worst of the worst are left to rot. So what could she possibly have stolen to end up there. The mystery angle is what makes this brief appearance fun.

That would be a weird twist. If they could somehow turn his zeal towards good that would be a cool development. *hope for a Suicide Squad with Stain and Gentle on the team is reignited*

I'm thinking that Deku's current 100% is closer to OFA true power than when he defeated Muscular, so he might be able to deal more consistent damage. And yeah, he should be able to move better now, and can see him messing up Muscular's movement with Black Whip. That would actually be cool, if he won a rematch by out-thinking Muscular and combining his quirks against him, rather that straight breaking his body again. Stain would probably be screwed now.
    end of spoilers
    A rematch against Muscular would be interesting; it would really show how far Deku has grown since then

Extraordinary Member

New chapter is out and it's time for all the emotions.

spoilers:
    Turns out that Twice had cloned Re-Destro and that clone was kept working as the public face and CEO of Detnerat. But as the raid was happening the clone was confront by Mera and strikeforce, probably luring him into thinking it was a business meeting and then springing a trap on. The clone melts away saying that his people seek true freedom and that the seeds have already been sown.

AFO (originial body) used an emergency aircraft to attack seven other prisons and freeing prisoners from six of them, forcing the authorities to deal with those escaped convicts instead of looking for him. AFO (Shigaraki) is pleased with the night's work and goes to rest, asking what remains of the League to look out for him. Spinner express concerns that AFO isn't the person he agreed to follow. AFO basically says that he'll respect Shigaraki's deals with them.

Two days later Bakugou wakes up and is his shouty self as some of his classmates greet him. He wonders how Deku and Todoroki are.

Gran Torino and Aizawa are alive, having gotten proper treatment just in time. Aizawa wants to focus on the kids while Present Mic is mourning Midnight.

Momo, Mina, Kirishima and Shouji try to comfort Todoroki about his situation, as a large crowd demanding answers of Endeavor's status and the truth about his connections to Dabi. Todoroki reflects on how he could've easily turned out the same as Dabi if things had been different and that he needs to find and handle him since Endeavor is the cause of the whole thing. Natsuo and Fuyumi arrive with another figure, probably Rei, behind them.

Meanwhile Baku is rushing through the hospital with others trying to hold him back. Deku is still unconscious and isn't waking up.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I wonder if there's a specific reason why convicts escaped from only six of the seven additional prisons AFO hit during his little night out on the town. If it'll be important or not.

I feel real bad for Spinner. He's like the most normal dude with this crew of crazy people and he's really trying to hold it together, but nothing has turned out at all like he expected it to. But it is confirmed that AFO will rest for awhile and let Shigaraki's body finish evolving. That does give us a respite, at least for now I think.

Shoto decideding to go after Toya/Dabi is one of the main plot points I've been wishing for all along. So this chapter made me very happy. I like the official translation that he'll "handle" Toya. There's a lot ambiguity there, like he's still not certain of exactly what he should do with his brother. And will we finally have the first proper on-screen conversation between Shoto and Rei? I really hope so. TodoMomo shippers are also very excited for Momo to meet Rei.

As for Deku's situation. I'm betting that we'll get a little story where he'll meet up with the previous weilders of One For All, it'll probably be the focus of chapter 300. I'm not seeing Inko, Ochako or Iida in his room. Hopefully they're there next chapter.
    end of spoilers

New chapter is out and it's time for all the emotions.

spoilers:
    I wonder if there's a specific reason why convicts escaped from only six of the seven additional prisons AFO hit during his little night out on the town. If it'll be important or not.

I feel real bad for Spinner. He's like the most normal dude with this crew of crazy people and he's really trying to hold it together, but nothing has turned out at all like he expected it to. But it is confirmed that AFO will rest for awhile and let Shigaraki's body finish evolving. That does give us a respite, at least for now I think.

Shoto decideding to go after Toya/Dabi is one of the main plot points I've been wishing for all along. So this chapter made me very happy. I like the official translation that he'll "handle" Toya. There's a lot ambiguity there, like he's still not certain of exactly what he should do with his brother. And will we finally have the first proper on-screen conversation between Shoto and Rei? I really hope so. TodoMomo shippers are also very excited for Momo to meet Rei.

As for Deku's situation. I'm betting that we'll get a little story where he'll meet up with the previous weilders of One For All, it'll probably be the focus of chapter 300. I'm not seeing Inko, Ochako or Iida in his room. Hopefully they're there next chapter.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Even in death Twice still manages to have a last laugh! Wonder how many secret other Doubles they have lying around somewhere...

It's a shame for me we don't see what happened to Stain, guess he really did just flee, but it is really curious we see no mention of Kurogiri anywhere, especially since you'd think AFO would want to take advantage of warping to make things easier. So perhaps he "escaped" too, doing some life searching.

The biggest takeaway I had from Spinner's interaction was him mentioning that he and Shigaraki would chat about video games and stuff, and I NEED more of that bromance now! It's not only such a fun little detail, but would go a long way in humanizing Shigaraki more, building a connection with the others beyond just the respect they have, and also learning more about the things he actually likes. If anything it feels like Spinner might be the one to, at least attempt, to save the real Shigaraki.

Kind of like how Endeavor saw Hood as "himself from the past or an alternate future", it's nice seeing Shoto make that connection that he could've ended up just like Toya if not for people like Midoriya showing him a better path. The wording definitively makes it sound like, because he understands his situation the most, that he's the only person who could even attempt to try and talk to him and resolve things, before eventually having their climatic showdown. And yes, more Rei talk is stuff we definitely need.

There is a little detail I liked looking at Todoroki's journey overall, is that he had been prioritizing improving his fire since he neglected it for so long, and when it came to the fight against Dabi, the fire was practically useless, so now he might have to switch gears to put his efforts back into ice again to match him.

And finally, yes, fingers crossed we get to see Midoriya's "Coma Arc" finally getting to have a real talk/conversation with the One For All users so he can truly learn what's going on. I know manga don't really do big events for milestone chapters like American comics, (Ch. 100 was the "Creating Super Moves" chapter and Ch. 200 was the middle of Momo's Joint Training exercise) but that'd be pretty appropriate to have the revelations be Ch. 300. Plus, seeing Bakugo ask about everyone else first thing he's awake is nice, of course with the whole "if he dies I'll kill him".
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Even in death, Twice gets the last laugh.
    Finally we see the aftermath, AFO goes on a massive jail break spree with some of the league a bit iffy about him, is a nice touch.
    Shoto planning to go after Dabi will be really good and it is nice to see (possibly) his mum being able to see him.

The Deku Coma Arc should be very interesting
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Gran Torino surviving is pretty unbelievable. Deku is in a coma will probably lead to more vestiges talking with him. Rei coming to see Todoroki will be emotionally considering this is her first time coming out of the mental hospital. Wonder how long Endeavor will be out plus he is in surgery too. Now AFO says he is going to recover but shouldnt he go free his doctor too in order to finish the upgrades he is still at 75%. Surprised we got nothing on Stain. Also with ReDestro showing his face against the Hero Commission well there goes he secret
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    spoilers:
    Gran Torino surviving is pretty unbelievable. Deku is in a coma will probably lead to more vestiges talking with him. Rei coming to see Todoroki will be emotionally considering this is her first time coming out of the mental hospital. Wonder how long Endeavor will be out plus he is in surgery too. Now AFO says he is going to recover but shouldnt he go free his doctor too in order to finish the upgrades he is still at 75%. Surprised we got nothing on Stain. Also with ReDestro showing his face against the Hero Commission well there goes he secret
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Re-Destro's secret was already out, given he was arrested at the villa along with many of the other League members
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Even in death Twice still manages to have a last laugh! Wonder how many secret other Doubles they have lying around somewhere...

It's a shame for me we don't see what happened to Stain, guess he really did just flee, but it is really curious we see no mention of Kurogiri anywhere, especially since you'd think AFO would want to take advantage of warping to make things easier. So perhaps he "escaped" too, doing some life searching.

The biggest takeaway I had from Spinner's interaction was him mentioning that he and Shigaraki would chat about video games and stuff, and I NEED more of that bromance now! It's not only such a fun little detail, but would go a long way in humanizing Shigaraki more, building a connection with the others beyond just the respect they have, and also learning more about the things he actually likes. If anything it feels like Spinner might be the one to, at least attempt, to save the real Shigaraki.

Kind of like how Endeavor saw Hood as "himself from the past or an alternate future", it's nice seeing Shoto make that connection that he could've ended up just like Toya if not for people like Midoriya showing him a better path. The wording definitively makes it sound like, because he understands his situation the most, that he's the only person who could even attempt to try and talk to him and resolve things, before eventually having their climatic showdown. And yes, more Rei talk is stuff we definitely need.

There is a little detail I liked looking at Todoroki's journey overall, is that he had been prioritizing improving his fire since he neglected it for so long, and when it came to the fight against Dabi, the fire was practically useless, so now he might have to switch gears to put his efforts back into ice again to match him.

And finally, yes, fingers crossed we get to see Midoriya's "Coma Arc" finally getting to have a real talk/conversation with the One For All users so he can truly learn what's going on. I know manga don't really do big events for milestone chapters like American comics, (Ch. 100 was the "Creating Super Moves" chapter and Ch. 200 was the middle of Momo's Joint Training exercise) but that'd be pretty appropriate to have the revelations be Ch. 300. Plus, seeing Bakugo ask about everyone else first thing he's awake is nice, of course with the whole "if he dies I'll kill him".
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    We don't learn anything about what happened to the other prisoners after AFO broke out of Tartarus. So I'm guessing that his focus was rather on creating as much chaos as possible over assembling a new crew, and maybe he just didn't have time to pick up Kurogiri. Or maybe he's making an educated guess that Shirakumo is starting to peek out of the brainwashing and he doesn't have the resources to like renew it. So it's best to just leave Kurogiri/Shirakumo be.

I generally want more of the League of Villains just hanging out and being chill. We do get some of that here and there, but I would like to see more of it. Though I understand that it might be difficult to fit that in during the story. Just knowing that Spinner and Shigaraki did do something so relateable and bonded over it is nice to know. It's stuff like that that makes me hope that at least some of the LoV-members can be saved.

Improving his ice abilities and figuring out how to use both elements simultaneously would probably be in Todoroki's best interest yes. It'll be really interesting to see him dive into his training with this new drive pushing him forward. Shoto is absolutely the person that can relate the most to Toya, but I think he'll also be taking his family's hopes and well-wishes with him into that confrontation. Just keeping them all in his mind in a way Endeavor has only recently started doing.

I'm hoping that the next chapter is Shoto's talk with Rei and then Deku will meet with the vestiges for chapter 300. It would be real nice.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Based on AFO's way of wording, it sounds like all Shigaraki needs to do is sleep for a certain amount of time, I can't imagine it'd take more than a year, and then eventually his body will reach 100% capacity. It is a funny little parallel between him and Midoriya, Deku has to keep training and getting stronger to reach max capacity, while Shigaraki just gets to lay back and wait. I'm curious what the real AFO is gonna do now, I assumed he was gonna attempt to fuse their consciousnesses right away, but seems like he's gonna be waiting too.

And like the other post mentioned, technically his secret was already blown considering Hawks knew about him and the real Re-Destro was one of the people arrested, the Double pretty much just used the opportunity to stage a surprise attack cause the HPSC underestimated/wanted to use him.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    We don't learn anything about what happened to the other prisoners after AFO broke out of Tartarus. So I'm guessing that his focus was rather on creating as much chaos as possible over assembling a new crew, and maybe he just didn't have time to pick up Kurogiri. Or maybe he's making an educated guess that Shirakumo is starting to peek out of the brainwashing and he doesn't have the resources to like renew it. So it's best to just leave Kurogiri/Shirakumo be.

I generally want more of the League of Villains just hanging out and being chill. We do get some of that here and there, but I would like to see more of it. Though I understand that it might be difficult to fit that in during the story. Just knowing that Spinner and Shigaraki did do something so relateable and bonded over it is nice to know. It's stuff like that that makes me hope that at least some of the LoV-members can be saved.

Improving his ice abilities and figuring out how to use both elements simultaneously would probably be in Todoroki's best interest yes. It'll be really interesting to see him dive into his training with this new drive pushing him forward. Shoto is absolutely the person that can relate the most to Toya, but I think he'll also be taking his family's hopes and well-wishes with him into that confrontation. Just keeping them all in his mind in a way Endeavor has only recently started doing.

I'm hoping that the next chapter is Shoto's talk with Rei and then Deku will meet with the vestiges for chapter 300. It would be real nice.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    A My Villain Academia: School Briefs novel would be amazing, but yeah given the nature of it, it would be very unlikely to easily fit in somewhere. The League Of Villains are the best thing in MHA: Smash, with all of their attempts to just chill and hang out, and I still absolutely love anxious babysitter Kurogiri.

It's why I don't think there will be a time skip, and why I don't want one, there's so much juicy development to mine from not only all the characters' reactions to the big battle, but also how they use those experiences to change their training with new motivations. There's Shoto's new desire of course, but also I wanna see Bakugo's changes, what is Uraraka gonna do next, etc.

Yea, hoping they don't drag out that "mystery" for too many chapters and they show Rei with Shoto sooner than later.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    A My Villain Academia: School Briefs novel would be amazing, but yeah given the nature of it, it would be very unlikely to easily fit in somewhere. The League Of Villains are the best thing in MHA: Smash, with all of their attempts to just chill and hang out, and I still absolutely love anxious babysitter Kurogiri.

It's why I don't think there will be a time skip, and why I don't want one, there's so much juicy development to mine from not only all the characters' reactions to the big battle, but also how they use those experiences to change their training with new motivations. There's Shoto's new desire of course, but also I wanna see Bakugo's changes, what is Uraraka gonna do next, etc.

Yea, hoping they don't drag out that "mystery" for too many chapters and they show Rei with Shoto sooner than later.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Reminds of some thoughts I've had about how I'd do League of Villains but they're heroes AU, probably a very popular AU, and I've always had Kurogiri, or rather Shirakumo, as semi-retired due to injuries and they're slightly off-beat hero office is officially his, because he's the only one with a legal license. But really he's mostly a mother hen to the weird social outcasts that are trying to fix society. He has a minor crisis when he realises this.

Yeah, a timeskip doesn't really seem like a good fit, at least not right now. Depending on how the most immediate situations develop we might get one but it'll probably most likely be a few weeks or months at most. The series title is My Hero Academia. Following the kids through their school years seems like one of the main points.

That would be a super troll move on Horikoshi's part. He finally revealed Dabi as Toya Todoroki. Now we have to wait over 200 for him to reveal who was standing in the shadows wanting to talk to Shoto, even though everybody knows, just like with Dabi.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    A bit of a disappointing chapter. With Deku in a coma, Shoto about to possibly meet his mum and everyone trying to deal with the recent events; was now really the time for Hawks's backstory? It just seems such a random time to focus on him and Best Jeanist.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    I gotta agree somewhat with the above statement.

Hawks is interesting as is his backstory, but there were so many story crumbs introduced last week. Not following up on any of them makes this seem like kind of a holdover chapter.

Like, I want the story to focus on Deku and his classmates again as they react to everything that's happened. I'm also a bit disappointed that the reason Dabi knew Hawks' real name even though it had been abandoned is that he had some agents follow Hawks to his mother's home. I'd hoped for something meatier. And the answer to the question of how Hawks tricked Dabi is that he used a drug to induce a death like state i Jeanist and kept him like that until a good time to free him. That's just a bit too convenient.

So yeah, first chapter in quite some time that was a let down.

Not that there weren't good things in it. Finding out the details of Hawks' backstory is nice and they're about as sad as you might expect. I felt really bad for his mother in this instance, and actually seeing the negative impact the war's had on society's views on heroes is quite striking. If this chapter had been presented at like any other point than this it would've been really fascinating. Right now it's just a bit frustrating.
    end of spoilers

Just like this series keeps doing, we go in a completely different direction this chapter, but one with alot of juicy information to dissect about:

spoilers:
    We learn more about Hawks' backstory. His father, Takami, was a criminal that killed a man and went into hiding with his wife, Tomie, before they eventually had Hawks. They lived in poverty where Takami was physically and verbally abusive, and Tomie tired and traumatized, with Hawks forced to suppress his feelings, holding onto his only possession for comfort, an Endeavor doll. Later, Takami is arrested by Endeavor, rejuvenating hope in the boy, before he and his mother go on the run again. After he is discovered by the Commission, they take the two of them in, while severing all ties of the "Takami" name.

Back in the present, Hawks is still fairly burned, barely able to speak, but recovered thanks to the Hospital. We learn that he and Best Jeanist faked his death using the Hospital's resources to put him into a "death-like state", and was secretly revived at the last minute. While on the road, Jeanist stops a group of villains attacking a district, where the civilians reveal the police are busy with recovering the escaped convicts and that most of the pro hero agencies shut down after public criticism.

The two arrive at Hawks' home, where he learns that his mother was the one who revealed the secrets of their past, after being threatened by some men sent by Dabi, and has since disappeared to not cause Hawks anymore trouble. He reflects on now with his secret out and the Commission currently shut down, he finally feels free to be who he wants to be, someone who helps others, inspired by Twice. He now prepares to go help Endeavor, who he knows is in trouble.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    It is slightly disappointing that we're jumping away from the kids and going over to see Hawks, but Horikoshi loves to do these slightly unconventional story swerves, and there's alot of great stuff here. I feel like anytime we learn more about Hawks, he gets better and better as a character for me, and this really starts to highlight. His backstory is about as tragic as we expected based on the little hints we got, and compared to some of the other abusive households we've seen, like the Todorokis and the Shimuras, I like seeing Hawks perspective on the whole thing. He's not depressed or angry, he's just tired. That moment when he learns his father's been arrested and the Endeavor doll comes to life is both incredibly heartwarming and also very ironic considering who we know Endeavor was then. It's also interesting to see how Hawks' Quirk came from, since it seems like Takami has some feathers on his arms, and Tomie has extra floating eyes she can control, which combined you can see how he's able to make free-form use of his wings.

I also love his reflection at the end, where he's talked about several times in the series before about wanting to be "free", and now he truly is, free of his name, free of the Commission, and free of the villain double agent, now he can just be the guy who wants to help people, something he feels he wasn't able to do as well before, to the extent of losing both his mother and Twice. He can also clearly understand that the Endeavor situation is more complicated than it seems, and that the right choice is to help him now, which based on his wording I'm wondering what exactly is the "trouble", whether it's just simply emotional support, especially after the rest of the public's reactions, or if there's something he needs to be protected from. Seeing the crowd of half smiles and half dismissive smirks is also another really great image.

And wanted to add, it's not a grand issue overall, but of all the contrivances in the series so far, the explanation for how they faked Best Jeanist's death is a *tad* too contrived for me. It didn't help that dialogue was also just very exposition heavy, more than usual.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    It is slightly disappointing that we're jumping away from the kids and going over to see Hawks, but Horikoshi loves to do these slightly unconventional story swerves, and there's alot of great stuff here. I feel like anytime we learn more about Hawks, he gets better and better as a character for me, and this really starts to highlight. His backstory is about as tragic as we expected based on the little hints we got, and compared to some of the other abusive households we've seen, like the Todorokis and the Shimuras, I like seeing Hawks perspective on the whole thing. He's not depressed or angry, he's just tired. That moment when he learns his father's been arrested and the Endeavor doll comes to life is both incredibly heartwarming and also very ironic considering who we know Endeavor was then. It's also interesting to see how Hawks' Quirk came from, since it seems like Takami has some feathers on his arms, and Tomie has extra floating eyes she can control, which combined you can see how he's able to make free-form use of his wings.

I also love his reflection at the end, where he's talked about several times in the series before about wanting to be "free", and now he truly is, free of his name, free of the Commission, and free of the villain double agent, now he can just be the guy who wants to help people, something he feels he wasn't able to do as well before, to the extent of losing both his mother and Twice. He can also clearly understand that the Endeavor situation is more complicated than it seems, and that the right choice is to help him now, which based on his wording I'm wondering what exactly is the "trouble", whether it's just simply emotional support, especially after the rest of the public's reactions, or if there's something he needs to be protected from. Seeing the crowd of half smiles and half dismissive smirks is also another really great image.

And wanted to add, it's not a grand issue overall, but of all the contrivances in the series so far, the explanation for how they faked Best Jeanist's death is a *tad* too contrived for me. It didn't help that dialogue was also just very exposition heavy, more than usual.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    While the series has used shifts in the story before to interesting and great effect, I do think that it was ill-timed in this instance. I found myself constantly expecting to jump back to any of the many other interesting story crumbs that we were left with in the previous chapter. But we got none of that so I was actually annoyed at the end there.

That's not to say that the content we got isn't good. It just wasn't the best moment for this chapter.

I do like that we have so many different outcomes of abusive households, so to speak. On the one hand you've got Dabi and Shigaraki who have turned broken and dangerous because of how they were hurt and raised (along with other outstanding factors) and then you've got Shoto and Hawks who are rising above the abuse and just want to help people. It was also nice seeing the components of his quirk from his parents' side, and he's probably a pretty solid example of the doctor's theory about quirk evolution. Seeing his mother's sad and rather broken state of mind was the thing that got me most I noticed. I hope that she's ok.

Hawks being truly free to do what he wants is going to be an interesting prospect. Japan is about as far from his ideal world as it can be right now. And while I'm certain that he truly does want to help Endeavor just as a friend and person he admires, I wonder if he also doesn't want Endeavor to still step up as the number 1 hero and act as a guiding influence. Which in and of itself is probably going to be a difficult thing to do.

I agree that the explanation for Best Jeanist's death was disappointing. The "death like state inducing drug" scheme that worked perfectly even when the PLF had Jeanist's body under lock and key is rather lacking and seems to be a way to just cover it all up. I was also hoping for more on Dabi knowing Hawks' secrets beyond "Dabi had some dude figure it out for him." Oh well.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    While the series has used shifts in the story before to interesting and great effect, I do think that it was ill-timed in this instance. I found myself constantly expecting to jump back to any of the many other interesting story crumbs that we were left with in the previous chapter. But we got none of that so I was actually annoyed at the end there.

That's not to say that the content we got isn't good. It just wasn't the best moment for this chapter.

I do like that we have so many different outcomes of abusive households, so to speak. On the one hand you've got Dabi and Shigaraki who have turned broken and dangerous because of how they were hurt and raised (along with other outstanding factors) and then you've got Shoto and Hawks who are rising above the abuse and just want to help people. It was also nice seeing the components of his quirk from his parents' side, and he's probably a pretty solid example of the doctor's theory about quirk evolution. Seeing his mother's sad and rather broken state of mind was the thing that got me most I noticed. I hope that she's ok.

Hawks being truly free to do what he wants is going to be an interesting prospect. Japan is about as far from his ideal world as it can be right now. And while I'm certain that he truly does want to help Endeavor just as a friend and person he admires, I wonder if he also doesn't want Endeavor to still step up as the number 1 hero and act as a guiding influence. Which in and of itself is probably going to be a difficult thing to do.

I agree that the explanation for Best Jeanist's death was disappointing. The "death like state inducing drug" scheme that worked perfectly even when the PLF had Jeanist's body under lock and key is rather lacking and seems to be a way to just cover it all up. I was also hoping for more on Dabi knowing Hawks' secrets beyond "Dabi had some dude figure it out for him." Oh well.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    At the very least, I have a feeling we won't be sticking with Hawks POV again next chapter (could very easily be wrong lol), so we could either go back to the Hospital for one of the kids, or jump around to someone else we haven't heard from yet.

What I like is that even regarding Shoto, he was still in a pretty bad spot for most of his life after the accident, pretty much just becoming a hero just for spite, letting the hate consume him (like Dabi), until Midoriya offered that hand in support, which has since allowed him to grow and look at the positives. And then with Hawks, you see how his life got better thanks to the Commission, but he's always had to shackle his emotions due to the training and nature of his work, so now that he's free, he can just focus on helping people. I do feel bad about the mother, especially since it feels like she never actually got over everything that happened. How, in comparison to Rei's situation, Tomie did play more of a hand in letting Takami get away with so much, even if it was very clearly stockholm syndrome-esque.

It'll also be a big question about whether he still wants to be that "symbol" anymore, since despite not being that person anymore, everything Dabi said was true, and even then there's his own personal guilt at having a hand in turning his son into a villain, so that could potentially make him feel more emotionally unreliable too. I think what we're gonna end up leaning more into the public, and heroes themselves, realizing that the heroes aren't Gods that can do anything, that they're flawed humans trying to do the best for others.

I feel like just making a fake corpse that looks like Jeanist would've been a bit more believable in this instance rather than effectively having him dead for three months and coming back with pretty much no issues. Plus, I think it would've helped, in a roundabout way, help to add a bit more depth into the nature of the "Nomus" and the science in this world, that this type of experimentation on bodies is more commonly explored beyond making it only Garaki's thing.

And honestly it doesn't bug me too much, I think it feels more disappointing to others because of the insanity of the Dabi theories led people to just instantly believing that Dabi and Hawks had some past together, so the answer being simply straightforward becomes a bit more underwhelming to them. The Takami incident was apparently big enough that even Ending knew about it, referenced all the back during that fight, and with his PLF resources, it's not a huge stretch that Dabi could figure it out.
    end of spoilers