Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    This is cute.

One of Horikoshi's assistants has posted sketches of four popular shippings from the series on twitter.

We've got IzuOcha, KamiJiro, KiriMina and TodoMomo.

They've got other stuff there as well. It's just fun to see.
    Those are adorable (and funnily enough all the "canon" ships too haha). Love Momo and Todoroki being so proper, and of course Midoriya and Uraraka being flustered messes.

And speaking of ships, here's an absolutely wonderful Izuku and Ochaco illustration from Horikoshi's MHA Exhibition. And now I'm hoping this actually happens in the climax of a future arc.

377dc7b0284cd79adaa6c612cb06adddf01e17139bdd26fc4c94a76d686885d3.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Those are adorable (and funnily enough all the "canon" ships too haha). Love Momo and Todoroki being so proper, and of course Midoriya and Uraraka being flustered messes.

And speaking of ships, here's an absolutely wonderful Izuku and Ochaco illustration from Horikoshi's MHA Exhibition. And now I'm hoping this actually happens in the climax of a future arc.

That illustration is marvelous and I loved seeing it just explode on twitter last night. Seriously, it had IzuOcha trending for a bit there. It's also funny because it's currently IzuOcha week, that is a week when fans celebrated the ship with fanart, fanfictions, edits and what not based around a selected theme for each day. So some fans are saying that Horikoshi participated in IzuOcha week.

I love the story it tells. The busted up uniforms, their bruised bodies, how happy and relieved they look and that they're high up in the air. You can just picture it being the immediate aftermath of them teaming up against a flying villain, narrowly winning fight and now they're just happy that they won, that the city is safe for because of them and that the other one is ok. That they're holding hands and look like they're about to hug and Izuku looking at Ochako like she's his whole world is just shipping icing on the cake.

A part of me is screaming "Screw the three musketeers bit, give me a movie that leads up to this scene!"

Boku No Hero: The Last
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

That illustration is marvelous and I loved seeing it just explode on twitter last night. Seriously, it had IzuOcha trending for a bit there. It's also funny because it's currently IzuOcha week, that is a week when fans celebrated the ship with fanart, fanfictions, edits and what not based around a selected theme for each day. So some fans are saying that Horikoshi participated in IzuOcha week.

I love the story it tells. The busted up uniforms, their bruised bodies, how happy and relieved they look and that they're high up in the air. You can just picture it being the immediate aftermath of them teaming up against a flying villain, narrowly winning fight and now they're just happy that they won, that the city is safe for because of them and that the other one is ok. That they're holding hands and look like they're about to hug and Izuku looking at Ochako like she's his whole world is just shipping icing on the cake.

A part of me is screaming "Screw the three musketeers bit, give me a movie that leads up to this scene!"
    The colouring on Deku's hair even looks like how it does during "100% OFA" so this really just feels like the ending to a movie we haven't seen and I so want it! Kind of like the opposite of the Heroes Rising conclusion, where instead of the two remaining heroes falling back down to Earth, these two are floating above it all, finally getting to take a breather and feel that sense of joy and success with each other. Also very much reminds me of this moment from the Polaris opening in the anime, which is honestly my favourite shot in the entire series.

My_Hero_Academia_Season_4_–_Opening_Theme_–_Polaris.jpg

It also now just makes me so much more excited than I ever was before to see the rest of the art for the Exhibition. If THIS is the first thing they show off for it, what else they got??

That is awesome. They are battered and bruised but they are happy and saved the day

spoilers:
    Man, Todoroki family is all messed up cause Enji had a inferiority complex.

Great explanation for Toya's burn marks.
    end of spoilers
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

spoilers:
    Thankfully we continue to focus on the Todoroki family and not jump somewhere else.

We are finally getting Dabi's origin. It is shocking to believe that even after everything that happened with Toya that Endeavour basically did the same thing with Shoto.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    spoilers:
    Man, Todoroki family is all messed up cause Enji had a inferiority complex.

Great explanation for Toya's burn marks.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    to be fair, and this is not a victim blaming thing, I think Rei's passivity played just as much if not more of a role in Touya's deterioration. We saw that Enji's ambitions were relaxing with fatherhood, it was Touya's behavior that drove him to push for surpassing All-Might or producing a successor who would even more; so he could get Touya to stop. had Rei been a more active parent they likely would've say these narcissistic tendencies in Touya sooner, or at least helped with her ice quirk to slow down the harm he was doing to himself. there is still more to be revealed but thus far it looks like Rei was neglecting Touya as he spiraled out.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-14-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    spoilers:
    to be fair, and this is not a victim blaming thing, I think Rei's passivity played just as much if not more of a role in Touya's deterioration. We saw that Enji's ambitions were relaxing with fatherhood, it was Touya's behavior that drove him to push for surpassing All-Might or producing a successor who would even more; so he could get Touya to stop. had Rei been a more active parent they likely would've say these narcissistic tendencies in Touya sooner, or at least helped with her ice quirk to slow down the harm he was doing to himself. there is still more to be revealed but thus far it looks like Rei was neglecting Touya as he spiraled out.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm sure she thinks like this too cause of her last line in the chapter.

But it's hard, she was in an arranged marrage with a man blinded by a "unreachable" goal that he drove her to the edge of madness. And her children are very understanble to her condition, so i don't think they blame her.

Even Toya, he call Endeavor by his name, but refer to Rei as mom.
    end of spoilers
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

spoilers:
    We see the first meeting between Endeavor and Rei and how they were paired together. In the present, Rei confronts Endeavor how she is here because she is not okay, while Dabi in their new hideout notes how even worse his burns are, and how he can't wait to see what face his dead puts on when he has to face the public again.

In the past, we see Endeavor deciding not to train Toya anymore after learning about his weak constitution. Despite this, Toya continues to train on his own to prove his worth, despite Fuyumi worrying about him. He figures since he could never surpass All Might with his condition, he decides to have more kids to give up his obsession. Eventually, after Shoto is born and his Quirk emerges, he finally breaks down in front of his family, screaming at his father to "Look at me", before going to seemingly attack Shoto.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Just like anytime we drop in on the Todorokis, it's some really heavy stuff to deal with. We see how even though Endeavor didn't start off as a terrible/abusive parent, his insecurities, egotism, and obsession with All Might was what led him and everyone down this path. Even though he stopped training Toya for his safety, and didn't want him to get hurt, he didn't do anything to give him a reason to stop pursuing this obsession, all because he too couldn't let go of it and had to keep breeding kids to surpass them. Also probably why Rei feels partly at fault in the present, because she didn't do more to protect or care from him when most needed.

Also, I haven't seen anyone else make this comparison yet, but I think it's really clever that Toya's told he can't surpass All Might because his incredible power destroys his body, meanwhile the entire plot of MHA is about someone trying to become No. 1 with a power that destroys his body anytime he uses it. The previous 300 chapters of story kinda inadvertently reveal the biggest flaw in Endeavor's plan. That if he took the time to actually train Toya properly, instead of rushing it to be "the strongest the fastest", he probably could've succeeded. I am now really curious to see what happens next chapter that directly leads to how he starts to treat Shoto.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Just like anytime we drop in on the Todorokis, it's some really heavy stuff to deal with. We see how even though Endeavor didn't start off as a terrible/abusive parent, his insecurities, egotism, and obsession with All Might was what led him and everyone down this path. Even though he stopped training Toya for his safety, and didn't want him to get hurt, he didn't do anything to give him a reason to stop pursuing this obsession, all because he too couldn't let go of it and had to keep breeding kids to surpass them. Also probably why Rei feels partly at fault in the present, because she didn't do more to protect or care from him when most needed.

Also, I haven't seen anyone else make this comparison yet, but I think it's really clever that Toya's told he can't surpass All Might because his incredible power destroys his body, meanwhile the entire plot of MHA is about someone trying to become No. 1 with a power that destroys his body anytime he uses it. The previous 300 chapters of story kinda inadvertently reveal the biggest flaw in Endeavor's plan. That if he took the time to actually train Toya properly, instead of rushing it to be "the strongest the fastest", he probably could've succeeded. I am now really curious to see what happens next chapter that directly leads to how he starts to treat Shoto.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, as we've seen other times before, Endeavor tends to think he can give a final say on a matter at leave it at that. Like telling Natsuo that he's changed and expecting that to be that, or as in this case telling Toya to just hard stop the training and never taking into account how worthless this made the kid feel or try anything else. Even his good reasoning for stopping Toya's training is tainted by a "back to the drawing board" mentality.

And yeah, Rei absolutely feels guilty here. She couldn't handle the situation in the past and was too weak willed to stand up to Endeavor (who we know was a domineering jackass whenever she did attempt to rail him in). The flashback also tells us how scared she probably was that Shoto would end up as Toya, along with her fear of failing to keep him safe just like with Toya. It honestly feels really good that she's taking charge now, and it's about time.

That is a clever parallel. Endeavor put a hard stop on Toya's training because he's hurting himself and in his eyes that means he clearly can't become the number one hero. All Might sees Deku break three of his limbs the first time he uses his quirk and thinks it's a kink that needs to be worked out by training smarter and not taking on more than Deku can handle.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Yeah, as we've seen other times before, Endeavor tends to think he can give a final say on a matter at leave it at that. Like telling Natsuo that he's changed and expecting that to be that, or as in this case telling Toya to just hard stop the training and never taking into account how worthless this made the kid feel or try anything else. Even his good reasoning for stopping Toya's training is tainted by a "back to the drawing board" mentality.

And yeah, Rei absolutely feels guilty here. She couldn't handle the situation in the past and was too weak willed to stand up to Endeavor (who we know was a domineering jackass whenever she did attempt to rail him in). The flashback also tells us how scared she probably was that Shoto would end up as Toya, along with her fear of failing to keep him safe just like with Toya. It honestly feels really good that she's taking charge now, and it's about time.

That is a clever parallel. Endeavor put a hard stop on Toya's training because he's hurting himself and in his eyes that means he clearly can't become the number one hero. All Might sees Deku break three of his limbs the first time he uses his quirk and thinks it's a kink that needs to be worked out by training smarter and not taking on more than Deku can handle.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think it really helps to highlight that something doesn't have to be "physical" or "emotional" to be considered abuse, that this form of neglect, unintentional or otherwise, can also do just as much harm. It also just keeps making me think about WHY is he so obsessed with surpassing All Might? At least with someone like Midoriya and Bakugo, they have specific goals in mind they're chasing, saving people and fighting villains. Endeavor never seemed to care about specifically defeating opponents or helping others, no real true purpose beyond just that idea of "Being No. 1". It's why Shoto was saved because of his memories looking up to All Might with his mom, while Toya never had anybody else to look up to.

Considering the other flashbacks with Shoto we've seen, we know how much Rei did to look after and care for him, which like you said was to give him that positive love and reinforcement Toya never got, ironically also just isolating Toya even more. Although, Dabi does seem to have some semblance of care for Rei, considering he calls her "Mom" and while calling his dad "Enji", so probably like Shoto after the burning, he doesn't blame her for everything that happened.

It's a connection even Endeavor himself noticed, when he said Deku was "just like us". And it's even more ironic because during that internship, Endeavor was able to give him alot of really excellent advice that demonstrated how smart he can be in that form of training. Honestly, considering that Deku is "The Todoroki Whisperer", the family should just really bring him along to help solve things lol (They can all share their scars too!)
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I think it really helps to highlight that something doesn't have to be "physical" or "emotional" to be considered abuse, that this form of neglect, unintentional or otherwise, can also do just as much harm. It also just keeps making me think about WHY is he so obsessed with surpassing All Might? At least with someone like Midoriya and Bakugo, they have specific goals in mind they're chasing, saving people and fighting villains. Endeavor never seemed to care about specifically defeating opponents or helping others, no real true purpose beyond just that idea of "Being No. 1". It's why Shoto was saved because of his memories looking up to All Might with his mom, while Toya never had anybody else to look up to.

Considering the other flashbacks with Shoto we've seen, we know how much Rei did to look after and care for him, which like you said was to give him that positive love and reinforcement Toya never got, ironically also just isolating Toya even more. Although, Dabi does seem to have some semblance of care for Rei, considering he calls her "Mom" and while calling his dad "Enji", so probably like Shoto after the burning, he doesn't blame her for everything that happened.

It's a connection even Endeavor himself noticed, when he said Deku was "just like us". And it's even more ironic because during that internship, Endeavor was able to give him alot of really excellent advice that demonstrated how smart he can be in that form of training. Honestly, considering that Deku is "The Todoroki Whisperer", the family should just really bring him along to help solve things lol (They can all share their scars too!)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    During his fight with the Hight End he mentions that he always wanted to be stronger than anyone, so i supposed that All Might being so out of his league is something that he never was able to accept.

At this point Izuku is basically an honrary member of the family lol, Shoto is probably closer to him that his own siblings considering how Endeavor isolated him, wich is...sad
    end of spoilers
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    They do mention in this flashback that he was predicted to become the new number one at the rate he was going. And then that just didn't happen. Unless something big is revealed I'm thinking that Endeavor just didn't live up to the goal and expectation he set for himself, solely because All Might was so far beyond him. And that just pushed him to do what he did. Which is just the impetus of everything wrong with him. I think I would prefer that. The idea that his family was punished and abused for his own petty and selfish feelings of inadequcy, that there's not big happening or anything that put him on this path is more compelling if you ask me. He put himself and his family on this path when they could've been so much better.

Rei most likely showed the same love and care for Touya as she did for all her other children, but that in this case it just wasn't enough to stop him from snapping. But he still has fond memories of Rei as a loving mother, so he might not blame her, just like his other siblings don't blame her. But I can imagine that Rei was happy that Touya wasn't training anymore, since it was hurting him, and that sentiment might not have helped him.

Now I'm just imagining Deku being asked to act as the shrink in a family therapy session for the Todoroki's, and he's just understandably super nervous and has no idea why he's doing it.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    spoilers:
    During his fight with the Hight End he mentions that he always wanted to be stronger than anyone, so i supposed that All Might being so out of his league is something that he never was able to accept.

At this point Izuku is basically an honrary member of the family lol, Shoto is probably closer to him that his own siblings considering how Endeavor isolated him, wich is...sad
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    That is also one of the stronger thematic moments of the High-End fight, something I even missed on my very first read, was that he saw Hood rampaging around screaming about "being the strongest" and "needing to fight the strongest", and Endeavor recognized him as being "me from the past, or an alternate future", and that fighting this dark mirror of himself was basically the final nail that led him to believe "I can't think this way anymore".

It's not really seen or mentioned that much in the series proper, but I like that the School Briefs novels both show and have Shoto mention that Midoriya (and also Iida) are basically his two best friends, eating lunch and studying together nearly every day, and it's honestly a really sweet dynamic.

And don't forget in the big final battle, after Dabi exposes himself and turns Endeavor into a near comatose mess, it's not his screaming pleading son that snaps him out of it, but Midoriya defending him. Even he just wants to adopt him at this point. (It also makes me even more want Endeavor to confront him about "One For All" since that'll just make his connection and dynamic with the family even juicer)
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    They do mention in this flashback that he was predicted to become the new number one at the rate he was going. And then that just didn't happen. Unless something big is revealed I'm thinking that Endeavor just didn't live up to the goal and expectation he set for himself, solely because All Might was so far beyond him. And that just pushed him to do what he did. Which is just the impetus of everything wrong with him. I think I would prefer that. The idea that his family was punished and abused for his own petty and selfish feelings of inadequcy, that there's not big happening or anything that put him on this path is more compelling if you ask me. He put himself and his family on this path when they could've been so much better.

Rei most likely showed the same love and care for Touya as she did for all her other children, but that in this case it just wasn't enough to stop him from snapping. But he still has fond memories of Rei as a loving mother, so he might not blame her, just like his other siblings don't blame her. But I can imagine that Rei was happy that Touya wasn't training anymore, since it was hurting him, and that sentiment might not have helped him.

Now I'm just imagining Deku being asked to act as the shrink in a family therapy session for the Todoroki's, and he's just understandably super nervous and has no idea why he's doing it.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I am really hoping they keep it just like Bakugo. That he was someone who grew a hot head because everyone praised him for his "amazing Quirk", and his egotism and insecurity about not actually being "the greatest" led to this self-sabotage. Like you said, it makes the damage to the family feel more painful, and his atonement more effective because he's actually trying to reverse actions he himself is responsible for. Giving him a "tragic backstory" and making him some "victim of circumstance" I think would just feel kinda cheap.

It's just an hour of mumbling to himself, screaming "IT'S YOUR POWER NOT HIS!" and then accidentally saying something profound that gets through to them.
    end of spoilers