Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Training

Default Amazon Training

I will admit that the idea of Amazons getting powers via mystical fighting styles is an idea of Marston's I do like. If you were to use this concept in a modern work (a main comic, an Elseworld or adaptation) how would you go about doing it? What would you change or add?

I kind of thought of it as like the Jedi training in the ways of the Force from Star Wars. I figured any Amazon who goes through would be around Captain America levels of powers and following the contest is where Diana gets her godly given powers (Rucka's Year One).

I imagine it similar to Dragon Ball where characters can train to raise or lower their power level through focus and concentration...just without the screaming, light shows, or fireballs.

I am for more writer/creator attention to Amazon training. Conceivably, Diana should have someplace in her home, in Man's World, where she trains, ..and a supporting character, who isn't Donna or Cassie, to train with. [She can have several homes, for all I care.]

More Amazon training AND science, in WW stories going forward...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-03-2021 at 02:11 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Fantastic Member

I always prefer the Amazon training power source.

I didn't like that Wonder Woman got her powers from Aphrodite, Athena, Artemis, Demeter, Hestia, and Hermes when she was born.

Astonishing Member

Bruce Lee: "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Hippolyta: "I've been training 10,000 times each month for 2,000+ years."

I very much agree with that a lot of the abilities of the Amazons should be due to training and skill, and not only in combat. (Though in my headcanon the Amazons are nymphs of civilisation, and not human, which adds to their abilities.) Doing the balance between innate abilities, training, and gifted powers with only Diana to draw on would be tricky, however.

That's part of why I like the concept of Donna as a normal child but trained by the Amazons.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I very much agree with that a lot of the abilities of the Amazons should be due to training and skill, and not only in combat. (Though in my headcanon the Amazons are nymphs of civilization, and not human, which adds to their abilities.) Doing the balance between innate abilities, training, and gifted powers with only Diana to draw on would be tricky, however.

That's part of why I like the concept of Donna as a normal child but trained by the Amazons.
    Could them being humans who became nymphs somehow work? I understand some myths have humans becoming deities or spirits in some way.

In your head canon what powers does Donna have? Any that differentiate hers from Diana's power set?

What abilities should Amazon training grant? What should differentiate it from Amazon sorcery?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I will admit that the idea of Amazons getting powers via mystical fighting styles is an idea of Marston's I do like. If you were to use this concept in a modern work (a main comic, an Elseworld or adaptation) how would you go about doing it? What would you change or add?
    It's essentially what you see in many Animes or wuxia films

The one way I would accept Diana getting powers is it was because she won the competition. With the Amazonian training I agree. The question is what kind of powers? Much like education I can see the Amazons having made many different ones. Like what if there are Amazons that can do magic

Fantastic Member

I have always wanted Amazon powers and training in the past to be similar and close to Wonder Woman. In fact, given the choice, I would prefer WW NOT to be the best of every Amazonian training. Instead, I prefer her to be the no. 1 student of the what each Amazon is best at...hence, in essence making her no. 1. I also want the amazons to be able to only keep their immortality and powers outside Paradise Island for a limited time as they will start aging and their powers revert back to the normal advance athletes after a while (thus, prevent a dozen potential power houses from being all over DC). In addition, with every amazon with similar strength, speed, etc., WW having won the contest makes more sense, and PI can retain its current way of life sensibly as the residents of PI will be extremely formidable without having to rely on tech (some magic will be nice too).

As for actual Amazon training is, if they are not as super powered as Diana, I would like their training to be so advanced that their blows and strikes (and weapons) can actually harm impervious beings (and magical creatures).

The the question to ask should Diana be able to fly due to training or blessings. The Amazons I would like them to be harder to kill. Like sure someone can shot them but it's not going to kill them one to three.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The the question to ask should Diana be able to fly due to training or blessings. The Amazons I would like them to be harder to kill. Like sure someone can shot them but it's not going to kill them one to three.
    Well she shouldn't be able to fly, but if she did, certainly not through training.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

Actually, it would be nice if Amazons can be portrayed as warriors that are hard to hit...yes, WW and her sisters are vulnerable to man-made weapons because the gods made them so (although they are resilient to physical trauma and energy/mystical fire/spells), but killing them and injuring is another issue, of course. It's their kryptonite, yes, but unlike Superman, that goes weak when exposed to one, they yet have to pass through Amazon training in order to subdue them.

As far as flying, I like the idea of WW being the only to fly in any direction. For the regular amazons (well, maybe except for Hippolyta, Antiope (if she were alive), and a few select like the main mystic warrior of PI (which I would like to be Donna Troy), I would like them to be swim under water for extended periods (have a bit of Atlantean gene..hmmm), but all of them should have the magical harpy eagle armor (create it through Amazonium - a magical metal) and Learnean Hydra armor for under water that can regenerate when damaged (just like the head of the hydra when cut off).

I would like WW to be able to fly with or without the armor, but it is AMPLIFIED when she has the armor.