Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon Training

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    I have always wanted Amazon powers and training in the past to be similar and close to Wonder Woman. In fact, given the choice, I would prefer WW NOT to be the best of every Amazonian training. Instead, I prefer her to be the no. 1 student of the what each Amazon is best at...hence, in essence making her no. 1. I also want the amazons to be able to only keep their immortality and powers outside Paradise Island for a limited time as they will start aging and their powers revert back to the normal advance athletes after a while (thus, prevent a dozen potential power houses from being all over DC). In addition, with every amazon with similar strength, speed, etc., WW having won the contest makes more sense, and PI can retain its current way of life sensibly as the residents of PI will be extremely formidable without having to rely on tech (some magic will be nice too).

As for actual Amazon training is, if they are not as super powered as Diana, I would like their training to be so advanced that their blows and strikes (and weapons) can actually harm impervious beings (and magical creatures).
    Yeah, It just makes more sense for super strength to be some sort of divine blessing(or demi-goddess heritage) than "training". What makes their training special to the extent it makes you 10 times as strong?

And the demi-goddess thing.. yeah having WW as the only one is a bit off. In some versions Hippolyta was a daughter of Ares. The Greek myths suggest that divine ancestry was what made the Amazons powerful in the first place.

Which reminds me. The Arisia story in JLU. She was a girl who was born with no special abilities and somehow washed up on Paradise Island. Arisia was said to have been magically imbued to be an Amazon. It was a lot more than "do fancy martial arts". But as an adult Arisia was almost as powerful as WW.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, It just makes more sense for super strength to be some sort of divine blessing(or demi-goddess heritage) than "training". What makes their training special to the extent it makes you 10 times as strong?
    Basically a type of martial art that grants super powers. We see similar stuff in certain manga and anime and even a few Western works like Iron Fist.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Basically a type of martial art that grants super powers. We see similar stuff in certain manga and anime and even a few Western works like Iron Fist.
    In Dragon Ball and Naruto it's part chi-manipulation, part super powers. Iron Fist is actually a mix of chi manipulation and a form of magic empowerment.

I will admit that the idea of Amazons getting powers via mystical fighting styles is an idea of Marston's I do like. If you were to use this concept in a modern work (a main comic, an Elseworld or adaptation) how would you go about doing it? What would you change or add?
    Actually, was Amazon training not a matter of strengthening your mind and being able to focus that power into your body to accomplish great feats? It wasn't getting power through push ups or something....

In Dragon Ball and Naruto it's part chi-manipulation, part super powers. Iron Fist is actually a mix of chi manipulation and a form of magic empowerment.
    In Naruto and DRagon Ball, anyone can learn these abilities, some just have more of an advantage over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Actually, was Amazon training not a matter of strengthening your mind and being able to focus that power into your body to accomplish great feats? It wasn't getting power through push ups or something....
    Like I said, a type of martial arts training that grants powers. This stuff is seen in fiction quite often.

Like I said, a type of martial arts training that grants powers. This stuff is seen in fiction quite often.
    That's not what I said at all. It is a way of training to use the powers of one's mind .

To quote the WW Encyclopedia:
    "A rigorous discipline that harnessed the unlimites powers of the mind. In the pre Crisis universe, the Amazons of Paradise Island partook dsily of this training, which focused their mental energyninto various superhuman abilities. The skill was not exclusive to the Amazons, however; all those who went through the vigorous training could learn to harness the untapped energy of their brains and transform it into fantastic feats of physical and mental power.

Amazon Training gave its users the ability to channel mental energy into their physical bodies, granting them superhuman strength, speed, and endurance. "

" At it's core, Amazon Training was about personal growth and achievement. "

In Naruto and DRagon Ball, anyone can learn these abilities, some just have more of an advantage over the other.
    Yes and no. People can learn to manipulate chi. But your chi supply determines what you can do by manipulating chi. Yes there are abilities seemingly anyone can learn... but the scale of those varies by the innate power of the person using them.

Dragon Ball: Goku using a Kamehameha wave has been said to be able to shatter a planet if he wants to. But someone like Videl or Erasa? Channeling enough chi to create a Kamehameha is great effort for Videl, and Erasa? Well Erasa couldn't do it at all.

For a Naruto example: Shakimaru Nara vs Temari. Shikamaru has a lot of techniques that rely on precise chi control... but he can't even come close to matching Temari in raw power. When he used his shadow technique to immobilize her, he quickly realized that he simply didn't have enough chi to hold her more than a few seconds. She was constantly struggling to break free and her innate chi reserve was so massive that she could keep struggling far longer than he could hold her.

But this comes back around to the question at hand: What makes Amazons stronger than other Humans? Having your physical strength double because you work out is reasonable. 10x though? either it's a heck of a lot of working out or you're doing more than working out.

The chi manipulation examples... are just a fancy way of working out. They don't give you new abilities they just utilize the powers you were born with.

Ninja in Naruto are akin to demi-gods actually. They're many generations removed from the source(Kaguya Ōtsutsuki), but are descended from a race akin to super aliens. In the Naruto world.... normal humans can't use chi manipulation at all. The ones that can are descendants of a race of god-like beings. There's a LOT of people who can manipulate chi, possibly more than normal people, but they're all descended from Kaguya. Sure... DISTANTLY: Kaguya's arrival was around 1000 years ago but. she is the ancestor of every single person who can manipulate chi.

In Dragon Ball there's that numbered scale as a method of measuring how much chi a person can wield. This is in large part due to innate potential and training merely improves your innate potential.

Yes and no. People can learn to manipulate chi. But your chi supply determines what you can do by manipulating chi. Yes there are abilities seemingly anyone can learn... but the scale of those varies by the innate power of the person using them.

Dragon Ball: Goku using a Kamehameha wave has been said to be able to shatter a planet if he wants to. But someone like Videl or Erasa? Channeling enough chi to create a Kamehameha is great effort for Videl, and Erasa? Well Erasa couldn't do it at all.

For a Naruto example: Shakimaru Nara vs Temari. Shikamaru has a lot of techniques that rely on precise chi control... but he can't even come close to matching Temari in raw power. When he used his shadow technique to immobilize her, he quickly realized that he simply didn't have enough chi to hold her more than a few seconds. She was constantly struggling to break free and her innate chi reserve was so massive that she could keep struggling far longer than he could hold her.

But this comes back around to the question at hand: What makes Amazons stronger than other Humans? Having your physical strength double because you work out is reasonable. 10x though? either it's a heck of a lot of working out or you're doing more than working out.

The chi manipulation examples... are just a fancy way of working out. They don't give you new abilities they just utilize the powers you were born with.

Ninja in Naruto are akin to demi-gods actually. They're many generations removed from the source(Kaguya Ōtsutsuki), but are descended from a race akin to super aliens. In the Naruto world.... normal humans can't use chi manipulation at all. The ones that can are descendants of a race of god-like beings. There's a LOT of people who can manipulate chi, possibly more than normal people, but they're all descended from Kaguya. Sure... DISTANTLY: Kaguya's arrival was around 1000 years ago but. she is the ancestor of every single person who can manipulate chi.

In Dragon Ball there's that numbered scale as a method of measuring how much chi a person can wield. This is in large part due to innate potential and training merely improves your innate potential.
    As I said, the martial art they are training in is a mystical ability that enhances human physical abilities. It doesn't have to be chi specifically (call it life force or whatever) but that's just how it is. It clearly wouldn't just be working out.

What exactly about this is confusing here?

As I said, the martial art they are training in is a mystical ability that enhances human physical abilities. It doesn't have to be chi specifically (call it life force or whatever) but that's just how it is. It clearly wouldn't just be working out.

What exactly about this is confusing here?
    Confusing? I'd not call it confusing. More... not explained. Also calling it "mystical" makes it sound like empowerment via magic.

Confusing? I'd not call it confusing. More... not explained. Also calling it "mystical" makes it sound like empowerment via magic.
    I guess you could say magic is just one expression of mysticism. Basically, there is some way to access mystical energies and practicing magic is just one of them.