Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was just showing that people find their sexualities' at different times to show that the kids that are suddenly being shown expressing that isn't just a writing thing but something that happens in real life.
    I didn't explain myself right, i just lack the right words to convey my thoughts in regards to that when it happens.

I mean that kind of rings hollow when they made Iceman one of the most recognizable mutants gay
    What are we following the one gay rule? Even if they were doing an amazing job with Iceman (he’s kind of been sidelined himself as of late) that doesn’t mean that they should keep the rest of the LGBTQ+ mutants in the background.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 05-19-2021 at 10:09 PM.

BANNED

I'm pretty sure he was just showing that people find their sexualities' at different times to show that the kids that are suddenly being shown expressing that isn't just a writing thing but something that happens in real life.
    The problem is that fiction requires a certain narrative development. C doesn't just HAPPEN. It starts with A, which leads to B, which finally turns into C. Audiences need these stages, so having characters make sudden changes without development is jarring, and comes across as OOC.

It doesn't matter whether it's something that can happen in real life, because fiction is BUILT on narrative.

Why does being bi or pan or gay need build up though. Things like Loa’s situation happen in real life so it resonates more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    What are we following the one gay rule? Even if they were doing an amazing job with Iceman (he’s kind of been sidelined himself as of late) that doesn’t mean that they should keep the rest of the LGBTQ+ mutants in the background.
    Kitty also kissed a girl and she was the main character of a book

Kitty also kissed a girl and she was the main character of a book
    Cause big companies have never queerbaited with performative bisexuality before? She kissed one girl with no context, which hasn’t been followed up on, AND she wasn’t included in any of Marvel’s Pride materials so the company isn’t even confirming that she’s bi.

Let’s not derail the thread. Who knows maybe Loa will end up playing a big role in this book outside of cameos.

Edit: we are/ were getting good stuff with Prodigy though!

Considering she's been with the resident golden boy before, maybe Loa is just into very shiny people.

On a serious note, I agree that's it's a shame that such character development has to happen in a handful of panels as a backdrop to an entirely unrelated story and doesn't get the space and focus it deserves, which just goes to show how much the line would benefit from a slice of life young mutants book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Why does being bi or pan or gay need build up though. Things like Loa’s situation happen in real life so it resonates more.
    The problem is that fiction requires a certain narrative development. C doesn't just HAPPEN. It starts with A, which leads to B, which finally turns into C. Audiences need these stages, so having characters make sudden changes without development is jarring, and comes across as OOC.

It doesn't matter whether it's something that can happen in real life, because fiction is BUILT on narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

Where was A and B for Loa being revealed as straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Exactly. The straight characters never need this A to B to C nonsense.

I am audience and I didn’t need those stages.

The way the development occurred in story made sense.

But I suppose that doesn’t work for all people that want everything written out.
    Last edited by CGAR; 05-20-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Yes. She and Elixir made-out once. They had no build up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    But I suppose that doesn’t work for all people that want everything written out.
    We have several of those around these parts.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

Well then we just witnessed A

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Well then we just witnessed A
    And there it is.

"Where's the build up?"
    "You're looking at it. It's happening right there."

Today's development will be tomorrows precedent.

Did Loa coming out need to be five panels of her taking in front of flashing rainbow lights? The story is ongoing right now.