Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    Poor Mercury and Loa

Cess's inner T-1000 comes out and Alani wanted them to have like 5 kids DAMN
    Mercury should stick with Bling.
    But I wonder who would be a good match for Loa?

Way of X was a disappointment, poor Loa & Mercury. Can't some New X-Men just have nice things?

If you haven't seen, Anole got a story focus in the Marvel Voices Pride Issue today, was a bit of a generic of a story for him, but still nice to see him as a central character with Graymalkin & Pixie.

Also had a nice Prodgy/Speed (with very small Surge cameo) story and some good focus on David as a narrator for the issue.

Way of X sure was rough. Poor Loa and Mercury got nothing but trauma and resentment out of what could have been a moment of happiness for both of them. Also, Mercury clearly needs some help that I don't think she's getting, and everyone else seems to be too busy at the tiki bar to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Way of X sure was rough. Poor Loa and Mercury got nothing but trauma and resentment out of what could have been a moment of happiness for both of them. Also, Mercury clearly needs some help that I don't think she's getting, and everyone else seems to be too busy at the tiki bar to notice.
    And all of that has been building up in her for years. I did not especially need to learn that spoilers:
    she enjoyed burning a frog with a magnifying glass when she was young, and however I'm supposed to interpret "...sometimes daydream about cutting and cutting--"
    end of spoilers. That was a tough read.

From X-Men Monday #104, Jordan D. White said "Mercury does show up soon and is pretty awesome."

I have to think there's something fun or redemptive coming up for her out of this storyline, otherwise I don't agree with the word choice there. :/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    And all of that has been building up in her for years. I did not especially need to learn that spoilers:
    she enjoyed burning a frog with a magnifying glass when she was young, and however I'm supposed to interpret "...sometimes daydream about cutting and cutting--"

From X-Men Monday #104, Jordan D. White said "Mercury does show up soon and is pretty awesome."

I have to think there's something fun or redemptive coming up for her out of this storyline, otherwise I don't agree with the word choice there. :/
    It's Jordan White. He's a colossal troll on top of having an odd idea of what constitutes "Pretty Awesome" to begin with. Especially when it comes to characters like the NXM.

We can only hope so, but so far it looks more like she's headed in a dark direction before things might get better for her.

What stood out to me was the jarring difference between Mercury and Loa's mindscapes: While they both overshared desires that you probably wouldn't disclose on a first date, Alani at least seemed to initially enjoy herself, and the moments shown from her memory looked rather pleasant for the most part. By contrast, all of Cessily's thoughts and memories appeared bleak and depressing, revolving around feelings of isolation and anger. It's not just that she is struggling with a sense of alienation and violent fantasies that's so worrying, but the absence of anything joyful in her mind. To me that hints at severe mental health issue which can't just be attributed to Onslaught's influence, and while certainly aggravated by her experiences as a mutant, might in fact have affected her for most of her life.

Now what I'm unsure about is if Spurrier was just coming up with a bunch of stuff that sounds twisted, or is insinuating she actually has developed some form of psychopathic personality disorder.

Also, if the aim is to push her to a point where she might be tempted to act on her violent fantasies, I wouldn't be shocked if Bling! broke up with her next because it turns out she actually never told her about Loa.
    Last edited by Starfish; 06-24-2021 at 06:05 AM.

BANNED

By contrast, all of Cessily's thoughts and memories appeared bleak and depressing, revolving around feelings of isolation and anger. It's not just that she is struggling with a sense of alienation and violent fantasies that's so worrying, but the absence of anything joyful in her mind. To me that hints at severe mental health issue which can't just be attributed to Onslaught's influence, and while certainly aggravated by her experiences as a mutant, might in fact have affected her for most of her life.

Now what I'm unsure about is if Spurrier was just coming up with a bunch of stuff that sounds twisted, or is insinuating she actually has developed some form of psychopathic personality disorder.
    This would be a great opportunity to revisit Cessily's and Laura's friendship. But that would require writers who actually give a **** about Laura's relationships outside of Logan's circle of influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This would be a great opportunity to revisit Cessily's and Laura's friendship. But that would require writers who actually give a **** about Laura's relationships outside of Logan's circle of influence.
    I was actually thinking the same thing. If anyone can relate to Cessily in this situation, it's Laura. It would be a perfect opportunity for them to reconnect, but yeah, I hold out little hope for that.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Mercury's thoughts were primarily dark because Onslaught was purposefully pushing them to the forefront of her mind to corrupt the experience. She isn't any more disturbed than any other character, she certainly doesn't have a psychotic disorder. It's perfectly normal to have a passing dark thought, especially if you have a history of trauma, and the magnifying glass thing is a pretty common behavior among very young children and lets them learn about mortality and morality, also normal.

We can only hope so, but so far it looks more like she's headed in a dark direction before things might get better for her.

What stood out to me was the jarring difference between Mercury and Loa's mindscapes: While they both overshared desires that you probably wouldn't disclose on a first date, Alani at least seemed to initially enjoy herself, and the moments shown from her memory looked rather pleasant for the most part. By contrast, all of Cessily's thoughts and memories appeared bleak and depressing, revolving around feelings of isolation and anger. It's not just that she is struggling with a sense of alienation and violent fantasies that's so worrying, but the absence of anything joyful in her mind. To me that hints at severe mental health issue which can't just be attributed to Onslaught's influence, and while certainly aggravated by her experiences as a mutant, might in fact have affected her for most of her life.

Also, if the aim is to push her to a point where she might be tempted to act on her violent fantasies, I wouldn't be shocked if Bling! broke up with her next because it turns out she actually never told her about Loa.
    Completely agreed on something with Bling! being the next step. Cess hasn't hit rock bottom yet, and it feels like that's the direction it's going for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I was trying to figure out who could help her, but it's a two-fold problem to me. First is that, with all her issues involving self-loathing and rejection, I don't know that she'd want to increase the amount of people who know what was going through her head, however Onslaught-amplified those thoughts were. That leaves the five that were there. The Xorns are obviously out because they just don't care. I don't think she would be welcome to Megan or David, since it was Megan's idea in the first place and David was the one who performed the link. That would leave Loa, but that requires convincing her to want to reach out and try to understand what Cessily has been going through.

I don't know if this was made entirely clear in the panel transition, but were Mercury and Loa aware spoilers:
    of how Mercury was trying to strangle Loa while Loa melted her arms at the end of the mindlink?
    end of spoilers It is amazing how messed up that entire scene was.

I don't know if this was made entirely clear in the panel transition, but were Mercury and Loa aware spoilers:
    of how Mercury was trying to strangle Loa while Loa melted her arms at the end of the mindlink?
    end of spoilers It is amazing how messed up that entire scene was.
    They appeared to be under the influence of Onslaught at that point, but I'm sure they would have realized what had happened afterwards. At least Cess will be able to brag she lost three hands having lesbian sex (preferably to Hellion).

Thats the thing. Merucry has severe body dysmorphia. She had some very depressing dark dialogue before as well. She probably feels worse then the kids that are chilling with the Shadow King guy. (I always forget his name.

This is where Hellion, Rockslide, Laura would be great to come in and show some support.

But Rockslide is dead. Hellion is NEVER shown. And Laura is too 'A-List' to even hang out with Academy squad anymore.

I'm concerned this will become relevant:

spoilers:
    What can you tell us about the Cruci-ball? It seems interesting that the young mutants are throwing their own shindig so soon after the adults had their big Hellfire Gala. Is there a causality or other relationship there?

"There’s definitely some connective gristle, though it’s broadly thematic rather than spelled out loud. Some of the kids will definitely be wearing their torn and muddied Hellfire outfits, mind you.
    The Cruci-ball is what happens when a bunch of youngsters - whose minds have been gently but firmly steered in a particularly dark direction - decide that dying, and indeed killing, is a perfectly reasonable way to have fun.
    Whether you think that’s crazy or not, both notions are based on the idea that resurrection is a standard and predictable part of a mutant’s life.
    ...and, it turns out, thanks to Onslaught, they’re completely and utterly wrong about that. It’s gonna be murder on the dancefloor…"
    end of spoilers

Marvel Announces X-Men: The Onslaught Revelation

I'm concerned this will become relevant:

spoilers:
    What can you tell us about the Cruci-ball? It seems interesting that the young mutants are throwing their own shindig so soon after the adults had their big Hellfire Gala. Is there a causality or other relationship there?

"There’s definitely some connective gristle, though it’s broadly thematic rather than spelled out loud. Some of the kids will definitely be wearing their torn and muddied Hellfire outfits, mind you.
    The Cruci-ball is what happens when a bunch of youngsters - whose minds have been gently but firmly steered in a particularly dark direction - decide that dying, and indeed killing, is a perfectly reasonable way to have fun.
    Whether you think that’s crazy or not, both notions are based on the idea that resurrection is a standard and predictable part of a mutant’s life.
    ...and, it turns out, thanks to Onslaught, they’re completely and utterly wrong about that. It’s gonna be murder on the dancefloor…"
    end of spoilers

Marvel Announces X-Men: The Onslaught Revelation
    Wow my Darkness Induced Apathy just Bloomed. Its like they dont want my money.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Thats the thing. Merucry has severe body dysmorphia. She had some very depressing dark dialogue before as well. She probably feels worse then the kids that are chilling with the Shadow King guy. (I always forget his name.

This is where Hellion, Rockslide, Laura would be great to come in and show some support.

But Rockslide is dead. Hellion is NEVER shown. And Laura is too 'A-List' to even hang out with Academy squad anymore.
    Hellion and Laura were, to my recollection, the only people she ever confided to about these things. Armor knows about the eating fact, since Laura randomly mentioned it in front of her during Pixie Strikes Back.

I might have glossed over one, but I don't think Cess and Julian have shared actual, in-panel dialogue with each other since New X-Men ended more than 13 years ago. I know they've appeared together a few times, but I don't think there was any dialogue.