Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Julian got his hands back. Now Nimrod can destroy hands off all over again.

I think that was colorist mistake since Hellion wasn’t even in the script and BobQ just put him in for us Twitter folk who asked him to.

AB1E35E9-D394-4385-99F9-309C4FD84DC3.jpg

The ones that I want to get more attention

At this point, I think there must be some mandate to not focus too much on Surge. Ever since NXM ended, she hasn't had anny meaningful appearances, despite being one of the book's protagonists.
    I wonder if her past as a drug addict makes editors want to avoid her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    (...) I wonder if her past as a drug addict makes editors want to avoid her.
    Have you seen some of the characters the X-office allows to be part of hero teams at the moment?

A drug addiction as result of her powers going haywire, doesn't sound like a reason to exclude a character when a hired killer with a body count in the hundreds, who uses pheromones to trick people into sexual interactions with him, is not only allowed on hero teams but even prominently slapped on the cover of their "pride" one-shot.

The harsh truth seems to simply be that nobody in the current X-office has an interest in using her and the editor is not calling for her to be included in situations where she would logicaly make sense to appear.

At this point, I think there must be some mandate to not focus too much on Surge. Ever since NXM ended, she hasn't had anny meaningful appearances, despite being one of the book's protagonists.
    I doubt that. Her drug addiction was only part of her character introduction, something she had to do out of necessity, and quit as soon as she got help. Meanwhile, Quentin was getting blitzed at school with his friends before trying to murder people. I feel like Surge's biggest barriers are that she's a) not pre-2000's character, b) not visually distinct enough (like Rockslide, Glob and Pixie) to get more background cameos, and c) isn't a writer's pet character that they'll desperately try to push.

Incidentally, here's a Surge meme.

Not trying to get my hopes up for the relaunches happening next year, but the X-office can't pretend there's no audience for these characters forever, right?

Ultimate Member

It is odd how little use some of the bigger names from the Academy X years have gotten. Surge, Hellion and Wind-Dancer were three of the more 'leadery' folk, and all three have gotten little or no use, Surge least of all. Elixir has made out like a bandit. Prodigy got a decent run. And Laura is living her best life. But sucks to be Rockslide. Dust appeared once, I think. And Tag, Icarus, Wallflower and Wither, etc. might as well not exist...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It is odd how little use some of the bigger names from the Academy X years have gotten. Surge, Hellion and Wind-Dancer were three of the more 'leadery' folk, and all three have gotten little or no use, Surge least of all. Elixir has made out like a bandit. Prodigy got a decent run. And Laura is living her best life. But sucks to be Rockslide. Dust appeared once, I think. And Tag, Icarus, Wallflower and Wither, etc. might as well not exist...
    Isnt Dust in Champions? Or was at some point?

Elixir only made appearances in books to get jobbed up until they had him appear in the Five. IDK if he’s had a true meaningful role since the X-Force days.. he’s more of a plot device than anything.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Julian got his hands back. Now Nimrod can destroy hands off all over again.
    I want him to have the detached metal hands long enough to have to use them against some TK resistant foe by accelerating his metal fists at them at supersonic velocity and cracking a 'throwing hands' joke.

Or someone else (Laura?) grabbing one of his floating hands and tossing it aside and him cracking, 'Oh, so now we're throwing hands?'

I want him to have the detached metal hands long enough to have to use them against some TK resistant foe by accelerating his metal fists at them at supersonic velocity and cracking a 'throwing hands' joke.

Or someone else (Laura?) grabbing one of his floating hands and tossing it aside and him cracking, 'Oh, so now we're throwing hands?'
    I never even thought of this, but now I want it so, so bad.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I never even thought of this, but now I want it so, so bad.
    I mean, are you even a writer if you don't write this scene? Here me X-scribes. You are failing this city! Or something. I may have inhaled too many helium balloons.

I'm honestly shocked that joke has never come up in the 10 years since Julian lost his hands. How was this opportunity missed? I didn't think I'd be sad BobQ gave him his hands back, but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Not trying to get my hopes up for the relaunches happening next year, but the X-office can't pretend there's no audience for these characters forever, right?
    So far we've seen Pixie, Blindfold, and possibly Sooraya in Legionaries, and none of them in Marauders, correct? It's nice that Si seems to like the kids, but I don't know that Legionaries sounds like a book I'll be interested in so far. Plenty of opportunities to be disappointed left.
    Last edited by Paragon; 10-08-2021 at 06:00 PM.

This hand talk reminded me of one of my favorite Hellion fan-comics.

Source
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I like to think that Wind Dancer's prompt resurrection is at least partially nepotism -- with Prodigy as a member of X-Factor and Elixir as one of the Five, even if the team wasn't trying to solve the horrible Mojoworld hijinx, once they'd been aware of her death, David would've told Josh and she'd have been fast tracked in the queue.

I revisit this image of Surge, Wind Dancer and Hellion often. Its so beautiful. Warms my nerdy heart.