Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Do Any of DC's Teams Have The Potential To Carry As Many Titles as the X-Men?

Legion has the cast size for it, but not the popularity. That’s the problem, none of the teams other than the League and the Titans are all that popular, and even with those teams only the central core members are popular. With the X-Men even their more obscure members have loads of fans which isn’t the case for DC.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

The Titans with competent writing.

DC could have something like that.
    And did a few times.
    In the '80s, JLI had a few core titles and Mister Miracle.
    New52 saw the League get a few titles again, although it wasn't sure how they fit together until their first crossover.

Titans had a brief shot when Teen Titans Spotlight was coming out, but it didn't last long.
    And then again with Team Titans, it looked like they were moving more towards a real franchise, with the two team books and Deathstroke.
    There was even a new Titans West series in the works.

Both teams have the resources to do that again.
    DC just doesn't seem to focus on any one non-Trinity franchise long enough to build a strong audience that can support it.

Of course, right now, I'd like to see more team titles, whether they're part of a franchise or not.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

When written well, most any of them. Most of them already have. The JL, the Titans, the JSA, even the New Gods have all carried multiple titles at one point or another.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The X-Men can't even carry as many titles as they have these days. Marvel puts them out hopes for a year then cancels them.

Nope. The one with the biggest potential is the Justice League, but they haven't been able to support more than 3 or 4 titles lately and the spin-offs like JLUnited, JLDark are not usually big sellers.

Ultimate Member

At one point of another DC was offering various team lead books. That had diverse rosters.

Then certain folks got in charge and derailed all that.

Now the issues that we are having as a result-

The writing on some books need to improve and move beyond the same select writers.

SOMEONE takes issues with who is on the rosters as we saw with McDuffie's JLA.
    Which is the same issue Marvel is having with some of their books especially X-Men as the resentment to a certain bald member of the current X-Men team shows.
    SOMEONE is going to say (blank) on the team is deal breaker in support of that book.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Justice League.

(Teen) Titans

LOSH

BOP

Suicide Squad.

I think any of those could easily expand to 4/5+ titles.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd rather see less spin-offs and ensure the books that are on the shelves are top quality.
    The X-Men books have been very hit or miss for YEARS. Marvel floods the market with as many X-Books it thinks it can get away with and quality tends to vary wildly.

DC went the same route back when Morrison's JLA was on fire. They FLOODED the shelves with JLA spin-offs out the wahzoo.
    Some were pretty damn ordinary.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    At one point of another DC was offering various team lead books. That had diverse rosters.

Then certain folks got in charge and derailed all that.

Now the issues that we are having as a result-

The writing on some books need to improve and move beyond the same select writers.

SOMEONE takes issues with who is on the rosters as we saw with McDuffie's JLA.
    Which is the same issue Marvel is having with some of their books especially X-Men as the resentment to a certain bald member of the current X-Men team shows.
    SOMEONE is going to say (blank) on the team is deal breaker in support of that book.
    If the bald member is who I think it is, the issue is with how the fanbase spent years bashing another character who did something bad, but less heinous than that bald character. Recent comics SHOULD put an end the the first character's demonization, but it was peak hypocrisy when fans were okay with the bald character getting a role in a team book while bashing the other person.

I think Legion had quite a few at one point.

Had their team books (Legion, Legionnaires, L.E.G.I.O.N, R.E.B.E.L.S) and Mon-El solo, and a whole bunch of minis.

Yes, it already have one. It's called the Batfamily.

Extraordinary Member

Haley Quinn herself
    Once led 4 titles at once
    3 being team ups

Fantastic Member

Marvel’s problem is overuse of Wolverine, then Deadpool, now Venom. DC is Batman. X-Fans have a certain luxury in that there are a lot of mutants again, pick 5-6, slap a title on it, bang…the Legion is a book that no one seems to grasp for the vastness of its potential, and the constant reboots and reimaginings has killed the potential for 1 book, let alone 2 or more, a la East and West Coast Avengers back when. Two Justice League books? Maybe, confine Batman to one or the other, one out of the HOJ, and a Satellite era team, and that might work. Writer vision and decent artwork will help any of them..