Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default What has been the most surprising thing you learned from the reaction to WW1984?

There have been a lot blogs, vlogs, and board posts about the ins and outs of WW1984. I am curious as to what you found most surprising in those various reactions.

For me, the most surprising item I read was right here on the boards. It surprises me that the lasso's glow was not welcome for a sizable group of viewers. In fact, a number of them write that it was considered 'cheesey".

This has really thrown me for a loop. I wonder if the trend towards realism has made things like uber feats of bullets and bracelets as well as the glowy lasso unpalatable for a growing part of the audience.

What was yours? Was there something that you thought would be an instant Win but was womp womp? Or vice versa?

It reaffirmed what I already knew, the general public like the idea of Wonder Woman more than the actual character. DC gave them basically Xena in WW trappings and they loved it and wanted more. Instead Patty Jenkins gave them pure unadulterated Wonder Woman and they balked.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It reaffirmed what I already knew, the general public like the idea of Wonder Woman more than the actual character. DC gave them basically Xena in WW trappings and they loved it and wanted more. Instead Patty Jenkins gave them pure unadulterated Wonder Woman and they balked.
    Which portrayal is Xena that people like?

General ones I don't get? Complaints about the lasso glowing.

I would have been more disappointed if it didn't, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wonder Woman 2017. Watch this, almost everything Grace cites as reasons for the backlash besides bringing back Steve in another man's body are decisions that brought Diana closer to her core (the defensive fighting, the speech instead of a big battle, reliance on the lasso as opposed to a sword and shield, etc.).

Last edited by Koriand'r; 01-03-2021 at 09:44 PM.

That some people still care about the DCEU "continuity".

Yeah I was surprised by all the complaining on Twitter that Diana didn’t kill Max Lord. People were saying that “she’s not Superman, she’s not supposed to have a no kill rule” which is amazing in how totally wrong it is. DC has been pushing “Warrior” Woman for so long that’s become the way people think she should be.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I was surprised by all the complaining on Twitter that Diana didn’t kill Max Lord. People were saying that “she’s not Superman, she’s not supposed to have a no kill rule” which is amazing in how totally wrong it is. DC has been pushing “Warrior” Woman for so long that’s become the way people think she should be.
    Wonder Woman hasn't been written as a ambassador/diplomat character unfortunately.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh yeah this panel made rounds a while back. It's really popular
    why-wonder-woman-doesnt-have-cool-villains.jpg
    By popular I mean really popular. People like it. Calling her badass, queen, that's why Wondy is my favorite and all that. I only see 1-2-3 people trying to correct it, like no, this is not what it's supposed to be.

The Gail Simone panel where Diana said we don't fight before extending a hand made rounds too, but of course, socmed is an echo chamber, people reblog/tweet what they agree
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-03-2021 at 10:23 PM.

That people are still in the habit of blaming the heroes for conflicts that are clearly the villains' fault.

People also can't wrap their heads around the fact that Diana would grieve the first man she loves for a long time, especially when she has no one to help her with it yet expect her to be the perfect friend to someone she knew for a shorter amount of time.

Wonder Woman 2017. Watch this, almost everything Grace cites as reasons for the backlash besides bringing back Steve in another man's body are decisions that brought Diana closer to her core (the defensive fighting, the speech instead of a big battle, reliance on the lasso as opposed to a sword and shield, etc.).

The comparisons to Xena are shallow at best, non-existent at worst and Grace Randolph gets a lot more wrong than she does right. If Diana resembles Xena in anyway it's because the former predates the latter.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-03-2021 at 10:27 PM.

By popular I mean really popular. People like it. Calling her badass, queen, that's why Wondy is my favorite and all that. I only see 1-2-3 people trying to correct it, like no, this is not what it's supposed to be.

The Gail Simone panel where Diana said we don't fight before extending a hand made rounds too, but of course, socmed is an echo chamber, people reblog/tweet what they agree
    Oh Johns .

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That people are still in the habit of blaming the heroes for conflicts that are clearly the villains' fault.

People also can't wrap their heads around the fact that Diana would grieve the first man she loves for a long time, especially when she has no one to help her with it yet expect her to be the perfect friend to someone she knew for a shorter amount of time.

The comparisons to Xena are shallow at best, non-existent at worst and Grace Randolph gets a lot more wrong than she does right. If Diana resembles Xena in anyway it's because the former predates the latter.
    I didn't make the comparisons up, it's a fairly accepted opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I didn't make the comparisons up, it's a fairly accepted opinion.
    Like I said, shallow at best. Diana acts nothing like Xena, doesn't have the same history and their motivations are completely different. It's one of those things that might make for a funny meme but completely falls flat as a serious criticism because the people making it are looking at surface details for both characters.

Yeah I saw that too. Like I said a lot of people look at that and think “yaaas queen slaaaaay” (literally ). That’s how WW should be in their eyes.

Ironically most of the people like that are Snyder fans, so they’re praising a Geoff Johns characterization as the correct one which is hilarious for obvious reasons.

But it’s not really much of a surprise when most outside media for Diana cast her either as a sexual conquest for Batman or Superman in the never ending fight between the two fanbases of those two characters, or as the “warrior” who needs to be reigned in. If you repeatedly show WW as acting like X*, even if she’s not supposed to act like X, it’s no surprise people come to see X as the way she is.

*X being Diana is a killer, warrior, bloodthirsty, etc

Extraordinary Member

People complaining there is not enough action.

There is as much as there was in the first Iron Man and Thor movies. I would say as much as in the Donner Superman as well.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor