Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I was surprised by all the complaining on Twitter that Diana didn’t kill Max Lord. People were saying that “she’s not Superman, she’s not supposed to have a no kill rule” which is amazing in how totally wrong it is. DC has been pushing “Warrior” Woman for so long that’s become the way people think she should be.
    They would have had to make Maxwell Lord really evil and not the sympathetic villain they gave us for me to have wanted that.

If he had killed Steve, just shot him dead, which caused the wish to be undone, giving her back her powers, I could then see Wonder Woman killing Maxwell Lord at that exact moment. Possibly on accident or on purpose, people could argue that.

But for what we got in the movie, there was no reason for her to kill him.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That people are still in the habit of blaming the heroes for conflicts that are clearly the villains' fault.

People also can't wrap their heads around the fact that Diana would grieve the first man she loves for a long time, especially when she has no one to help her with it yet expect her to be the perfect friend to someone she knew for a shorter amount of time.

The comparisons to Xena are shallow at best, non-existent at worst and Grace Randolph gets a lot more wrong than she does right. If Diana resembles Xena in anyway it's because the former predates the latter.
    Grace is well known to be controversial, she invents things to be relevant. Anything that comes from her take it with a pinch of salt. Mostly is fake news. Yeah sometimes she gets something right, once in a blue moon.

I was sort of surprised and then not again, that some people acted like Men's Rights Activists and yet ignored the fact that Steve Trevor while reincarnated in another body chose to have sex with Diana. So if you consider it abuse then Steve was just as "guilty" as Diana.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

How people want to dismiss the ethical issue of Steve's possession. A man's life was completely stolen to bring Steve back and the movie doesn't address it at all and Diana doesn't care. Real bad look.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    People complaining there is not enough action.

There is as much as there was in the first Iron Man and Thor movies. I would say as much as in the Donner Superman as well.
    The lack of action could have been excused if there were interesting and engaging scenes to make up for it and this film doesn't do that. There's a lot of boring bits in the film that drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    How people want to dismiss the ethical issue of Steve's possession. A man's life was completely stolen to bring Steve back and the movie doesn't address it at all and Diana doesn't care. Real bad look.
    Ah crap, I shouldn't have started this. Ok let's move on. I'm already having a no end discussion with someone in another thread dedicated to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The lack of action could have been excused if there were interesting and engaging scenes to make up for it and this film doesn't do that. There's a lot of boring bits in the film that drag.
    Dude you aren't saying anything new (and I completely disagree with you, there are many scenes that stayed in my mind longer than those in Aquaman or Shazam, or Doctor Strange) . This thread isn't about bashing the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Dude you aren't saying anything new (and I completely disagree with you, there are many scene that stayed in my mind longer than those in Aquaman or Shazam, or Doctor Strange) . This thread isn't about bashing the film.
    The thread is about the reactions to the movie. That element of the movie I see people like yourself try to sweep under the rug whenever someone brings it up. It's in line with the thread topic.

Ok dude sure

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I was surprised by all the complaining on Twitter that Diana didn’t kill Max Lord. People were saying that “she’s not Superman, she’s not supposed to have a no kill rule” which is amazing in how totally wrong it is. DC has been pushing “Warrior” Woman for so long that’s become the way people think she should be.
    That is a valid act Diana would do, and she does do that in the comics - like in Rucka's run. However, that's not the sole valid action for Diana to be, the previous movies went in that direction but Jenkins wanted to tell another story with a facet of Diana which hasn't been in the DCEU or any live action film and that is her most known characterisation in the comics as someone who values peace over violence. That is the story Jenkins wanted to tell in '84. I agree DC has been pushing the warrior aspect too much, and I hope the reaction to '84 won't regress her back to warrior Diana again.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    There have been a lot blogs, vlogs, and board posts about the ins and outs of WW1984. I am curious as to what you found most surprising in those various reactions.

For me, the most surprising item I read was right here on the boards. It surprises me that the lasso's glow was not welcome for a sizable group of viewers. In fact, a number of them write that it was considered 'cheesey".

This has really thrown me for a loop. I wonder if the trend towards realism has made things like uber feats of bullets and bracelets as well as the glowy lasso unpalatable for a growing part of the audience.

What was yours? Was there something that you thought would be an instant Win but was womp womp? Or vice versa?

I really enjoyed the lasso's glow. The comics mostly abandoned it about 20 years ago and the lasso hasn't been as impressive since.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That is a valid act Diana would do, and she does do that in the comics - like in Rucka's run. However, that's not the sole valid action for Diana to be, the previous movies went in that direction but Jenkins wanted to tell another story with a facet of Diana which hasn't been in the DCEU or any live action film and that is her most known characterisation in the comics as someone who values peace over violence. That is the story Jenkins wanted to tell in '84. I agree DC has been pushing the warrior aspect too much, and I hope the reaction to '84 won't regress her back to warrior Diana again.
    Idk, Rucka wrote the neck snap better than others but even then it came off as a rather forced Diana immediately thinks the best way to deal with dime store Lex Luthor was kill him and when he was already pretty incapacitated.

Max was under the lasso of the truth and says the only way to free Superman was to kill him. Although you could fudge it and say that was the only option he knew and there could have been other options like getting magic users or powerful telepaths to do it. If the lasso could reveal the truth then wouldn't binding Superman with it be enough to knock him out of mind control? It's been so long since I read the comic but did they ever address that possibility?

As for Diana, some folks act like she is the Punisher. Yes, she will kill, but only after exhausting all other options. I remember that panel from Johns JL blowing up on FB and I had to explain to a friend why that line was bullshit albeit I was unsuccessful in changing their minds. Maybe it's because I've been re-reading Morrison's Animal Man but I don't know why people get off of grim dark violence and death.

What surprises me the most is how much I agree with a lot of the criticism this movie has gotten.

I feel as if a lot of the usual fan gripes about Wonder Woman books, movies, etc. is centered around how they didn’t live up to an individual’s personal ideas about who or what Wonder Woman is or is supposed to be.

But, a bad story is a bad story & this movie was not great. While it did have some great moments that I enjoyed, this story had some major plot holes that are too big to ignore. Patty and co. definitely made some very puzzling choices (and one extremely questionable one) and presented her films villains in a way that had zero relationship with their comic counterparts.

The first film is one I can watch from start to finish and thoroughly enjoy each time, but I will probably just fast forward to the parts in WW84 that I enjoyed & hope for a better film next time.

I'm surprised fans didn't ask why Diana didn't just snap the neck of every person that made a wish.