Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Sounds like a series I'd actually enjoy... under another writer.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Peace

What do you guys hope happens with Wonder Man next/in 2022? I’d really like to see him in a new solo series where he ditches the pacifist thing and gets back to being a superhero on the west coast. Maybe he has second chances as a start up company on the West Coast during the day and he is a superhero too. His black and red costume is perfect so with the right artist and writer, I think it could be successful!

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    What do you guys hope happens with Wonder Man next/in 2022? I’d really like to see him in a new solo series where he ditches the pacifist thing and gets back to being a superhero on the west coast. Maybe he has second chances as a start up company on the West Coast during the day and he is a superhero too. His black and red costume is perfect so with the right artist and writer, I think it could be successful!
    In agreement with you about a new ongoing series for Wonder Man!
    Because of the creative team (Jones/Johnson), the '90s series was totally awesome & became an all-time fave (XD)

If they're ever going to bring back anything from the '90s series, I'm hoping it'll be Wondy's wacky supporting cast (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-21-2021 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Astonishing Member

^ Agreed. Always wanted to see more of Stat, Dreamer and Snap.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    ^ Agreed. Always wanted to see more of Stat, Dreamer and Snap.
    OMG! My Top (3) Three from that group (LOL):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    In agreement with you about a new ongoing series for Wonder Man!
    Because of the creative team (Jones/Johnson), the '90s series was totally awesome & became an all-time fave (XD)

If they're ever going to bring back anything from the '90s series, I'm hoping it'll be Wondy's wacky supporting cast (LOL):

I really loved that series, right up to the Operation Galactic Storm cross-over, when the book took a darker turn, becoming "more serious". I prefered the more humorous tone of the first issues. Never was much of a fan of Gerard Jones, but I really loved the art of Jeff Johnson. The guy should have been a much bigger deal than he actually got to be. The colours of those first issues were also beautiful. Joe Rosas, I believe. It's been a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time since Wondy's got the respect he deserves.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 12-22-2021 at 08:30 AM.

I miss Mike Parobeck's art.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I really loved that series, right up to the Operation Galactic Storm cross-over, when the book took a darker turn, becoming "more serious". I prefered the more humorous tone of the first issues. Never was much of a fan of Gerard Jones, but I really loved the art of Jeff Johnson. The guy should have been a much bigger deal than he actually got to be. The colours of those first issues were also beautiful. Joe Rosas, I believe. It's been a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time since Wondy's got the respect he deserves.

Peace
    I know, right?! Wondy's power fluctuations aside, the series continued to be interesting. Always loved that BTS/Inside Hollywood humor, though.

Also, in total agreement with you about Jeff Johnson. Truly an unsung talent (IMHO):

I miss Mike Parobeck's art.

Peace
    Me too. Definitely an irreplaceable talent.

Mike Parobeck
    (R.I.P.)

This costume is really top tier! My favorite Wonder Man costume! I’d love if an artist updated it a bit in the 616 and that this is the basis for his MCU costume.

I’ve been wondering, when Wonder Man is given a push again, who would you guys like to see him eventually date? How do you all feel about his past relationships? I really don’t need to have him following the scarlet witch around again. Carol wasn’t great in the past but maybe that could be different now that she’s Captain Marvel? What do you all think?

Spectacular Member

I’ve been wondering, when Wonder Man is given a push again, who would you guys like to see him eventually date? How do you all feel about his past relationships? I really don’t need to have him following the scarlet witch around again. Carol wasn’t great in the past but maybe that could be different now that she’s Captain Marvel? What do you all think?
    I like Simon with a civilian love interest, he is one of the few Avengers that actually has a well-developed life outside of the team and I think that would help.

BUT if I had to pick another superhero, I think She-Hulk or Dazzler would be fun!

I like Simon with Carol, but I could see him with others (non-Wanda) and non-civilian. I want him to have a super-girlfriend.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

I know, right?! Wondy's power fluctuations aside, the series continued to be interesting. Always loved that BTS/Inside Hollywood humor, though.
    The first year of the book was the strongest. Those early stories were a lot of fun, with a great mix of bringing back villains from Simon's history and introducing brand new villains, or bringing in established villains he hadn't crossed paths with before.

After that the book lost its way a bit, although like K7P5V said it continued to have interesting things going on. The "Infinity War" tie-in arc was probably the series main low point; the tie-in got stretched out too far and they ended up re-playing some of the same beats again and again over those three issues. If they had limited the tie-in to a single issue, or even just a two-parter, it probably would have worked out better. Unfortunately what should have been the book's strongest arc--the four parter with the Grim Reaper--ended up being undermined by sloppy continuity errors (like saying Simon's mom died when he was a kid, when readers knew she was alive and well and was a supporting character who had turned up multiple times in the WCA series), and by the bizarre out-of-left-field resolution to the ongoing Lotus Newmark storyline that made no sense.

It seemed like the book was trying to get back on track after issue #25...but by then they were already on the cancellation chopping block and it was too late.

Even despite the flaws and missteps in year 2 of the WONDER MAN ongoing I still look back on that series fondly for the most part. It was a fun series, and it gave Wondy some more things to do than just pine away after Wanda over in WCA. Splice was a great addition to Simon's rogues gallery and I'd love to see someone bring him back--if not as a Wondy villain, then elsewhere in the MU. The next time someone wants to use an assassin in a story, they should give Bullseye a rest and use Splice instead! It would also be cool to see Lotus and Wondy cross swords again.

As for the supporting cast, it would have been fun to revisit Neal as Simon's agent but he was sadly killed off a while ago (after his character took a very unexpected twist). I doubt Simon has kept in touch with most of the others since those days--between his multiple deaths and resurrections since then, plus life just pulling people in different directions. It could be fun to see a somewhat older Spider re-enter Simon's life though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I like Simon with Carol, but I could see him with others (non-Wanda) and non-civilian. I want him to have a super-girlfriend.
    I know, right?! If she ever decides to "switch" sides, I'd be interested in a get-together between Simon & the Enchantress (LOL):

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The first year of the book was the strongest. Those early stories were a lot of fun, with a great mix of bringing back villains from Simon's history and introducing brand new villains, or bringing in established villains he hadn't crossed paths with before.

After that the book lost its way a bit, although like K7P5V said it continued to have interesting things going on. The "Infinity War" tie-in arc was probably the series main low point; the tie-in got stretched out too far and they ended up re-playing some of the same beats again and again over those three issues. If they had limited the tie-in to a single issue, or even just a two-parter, it probably would have worked out better. Unfortunately what should have been the book's strongest arc--the four parter with the Grim Reaper--ended up being undermined by sloppy continuity errors (like saying Simon's mom died when he was a kid, when readers knew she was alive and well and was a supporting character who had turned up multiple times in the WCA series), and by the bizarre out-of-left-field resolution to the ongoing Lotus Newmark storyline that made no sense.

It seemed like the book was trying to get back on track after issue #25...but by then they were already on the cancellation chopping block and it was too late.

Even despite the flaws and missteps in year 2 of the WONDER MAN ongoing I still look back on that series fondly for the most part. It was a fun series, and it gave Wondy some more things to do than just pine away after Wanda over in WCA. Splice was a great addition to Simon's rogues gallery and I'd love to see someone bring him back--if not as a Wondy villain, then elsewhere in the MU. The next time someone wants to use an assassin in a story, they should give Bullseye a rest and use Splice instead! It would also be cool to see Lotus and Wondy cross swords again.

As for the supporting cast, it would have been fun to revisit Neal as Simon's agent but he was sadly killed off a while ago (after his character took a very unexpected twist). I doubt Simon has kept in touch with most of the others since those days--between his multiple deaths and resurrections since then, plus life just pulling people in different directions. It could be fun to see a somewhat older Spider re-enter Simon's life though.
    Hey, Dermie! As always, an excellent analysis.

Also, unless it escaped your notice, Simon did reconnect with both Lotus & his supporting cast (well, just his mom & Alex) in the classic 2000 series...

Avengers Two: Wonder Man & Beast

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-27-2021 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I like Simon with a civilian love interest, he is one of the few Avengers that actually has a well-developed life outside of the team and I think that would help.

BUT if I had to pick another superhero, I think She-Hulk or Dazzler would be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    When they were both starting out, I wanted Simon to get involved with Rogue. I mean, he had a thing for Carol. Rogue had some Carol in her. REogue couldn't connect with anyone, but Simon was imune to her powers. I think it would have been pretty cool. Sadly, over the years, they've pretty much ruined the character of Rogue, and did also quite a lot of damage to Simon's also. So much so, that they've managed to ignore/forget that Rogue's powers don't work on Simon (it was right there in her FIRST appearence. Geez, do your homework). I don't see much in common between them now. So, I guess I'll go with Raz and vote for a civillian love interest (or a wanting to reform super-villainess. That would be cool).

Peace