Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thanks! I will have to check it out.
    Just a heads up -- although it IS a fun storyline, it is also an absolute mess in terms of continuity. Kurt Busiek and Roger Stern later had to clear up at least some of the mess in Busiek's AVENGERS run and Stern's AVENGERS TWO: WONDER MAN & THE BEAST miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Just a heads up -- although it IS a fun storyline, it is also an absolute mess in terms of continuity. Kurt Busiek and Roger Stern later had to clear up at least some of the mess in Busiek's AVENGERS run and Stern's AVENGERS TWO: WONDER MAN & THE BEAST miniseries.
    And a fine job they did of clearing up the mess. A modern-day classic & a definite keepsake (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-03-2021 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Yes, this one I read! I remember Simon moving really fast and basically lifting with one hand the exerciser Ben used with both hands and smashed it all up.
    I remember one Avenger Annual, in one of those ranking the Avengers abilities, where Cap states that Simon's greatest advantage is not only in his huge strentgth, but in how he is able to combine it with flight and great speed, making him, in essence a "one man Blitzkreig."

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    And a fine job they did of clearing up the mess. A modern-day classic & a definite keepsake (IMHO):

Absolutely LOVE this. A favorite writer, with a favorite artist, handling favorite characters = a favorite project.

Peace

I agree--the 80s and 90s treated Wonder Man well, imo, and was probably his most prominent time (both as a member of the Avengers and within the Marvel Universe in general since that's when he got his solo book).

I think the devaluation of Simon that Phoenixx9 describes in his post came later than that--after Kurt Busiek left the AVENGERS title in around 2002 or 2003. After that Simon's portrayal started to fluctuate quite a bit; he didn't appear nearly as often, and Marvel started introducing a bunch of other strong man characters into the Avengers who were on-par with Simon (or even more powerful).
    Thanks, Dermie. That is indeed the time.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Thanks again, Dermie.

The cover had me like, "ugh no", because the Executioner is no where near Simon's strength and Simon easily bested him within moments of first becoming Wonder Man.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I remember one Avenger Annual, in one of those ranking the Avengers abilities, where Cap states that Simon's greatest advantage is not only in his huge strentgth, but in how he is able to combine it with flight and great speed, making him, in essence a "one man Blitzkreig."

Absolutely LOVE this. A favorite writer, with a favorite artist, handling favorite characters = a favorite project.

Peace
    To the utmost, I agree. Those were good times, bro!

Thanks again, Dermie.

The cover had me like, "ugh no", because the Executioner is no where near Simon's strength and Simon easily bested him within moments of first becoming Wonder Man.
    I know, right?! Simon's strength far exceeds both gods & mythical beings. It's utterly unfathomable (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-04-2021 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Astonishing Member

I would love to see a creative team take Simon back to the basics -- maybe forget the ion powers and look. As far as strength level, I think he should be able to go toe to toe with guys like Hyperion and Thor. I think in Simon's earliest days - the only thing in Thor's favor was his hammer, but Simon used to say his fists packed the same punch as Thor's hammer. And then there was the time he creamed Namor. I liked the aspect of a regular guy -- not a god, not a monster, not an alien, being in the 100 ton weight class. And as others have noted, he also had speed and agility -- he was the ultimate super soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I would love to see a creative team take Simon back to the basics -- maybe forget the ion powers and look. As far as strength level, I think he should be able to go toe to toe with guys like Hyperion and Thor. I think in Simon's earliest days - the only thing in Thor's favor was his hammer, but Simon used to say his fists packed the same punch as Thor's hammer. And then there was the time he creamed Namor. I liked the aspect of a regular guy -- not a god, not a monster, not an alien, being in the 100 ton weight class. And as others have noted, he also had speed and agility -- he was the ultimate super soldier.
    I guess this is what I was getting at wanting Simon to go back to the best times. In addition to those powers mentioned (Cl 100 str, durability, speed, agility), Simon also does not need to eat, or breathe, although he can.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah, that was one of my favorite Avengers issues when he beat the crap out of Namor! With great George Perez art no less. I was kind of like "Whoa, he really IS that strong".

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yeah, that was one of my favorite Avengers issues when he beat the crap out of Namor! With great George Perez art no less. I was kind of like "Whoa, he really IS that strong".
    In agreement with you about the artwork. One of my all-time favorite one-on-one battles in comic-book history

In agreement with you about the artwork. One of my all-time favorite one-on-one battles in comic-book history

I so remember this comic!! Great artwork, superb poses, vibrant colors and good dialogue. Simon has never looked better nor more powerful! Me lovey!

I so remember this comic!! Great artwork, superb poses, vibrant colors and good dialogue. Simon has never looked better nor more powerful! Me lovey!
    I know, right?! And the best part... no hard feelings.

I know, right?! And the best part... no hard feelings.

TRUE!! Two of the strongest men alive (and one accomplishing what neither Thor, Hercules, Hulk or Thing ever did) genuinely make up and become friends!

It is sad, but I never remember them talking let alone starring together after this meeeting.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

One of the plot points of that particular arc involved Simon's power fluctuating, but don't worry, The Executioner doesn't get the best of him.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    One of the plot points of that particular arc involved Simon's power fluctuating, but don't worry, The Executioner doesn't get the best of him.
    hahaha, thanks! Good to know, my friend. Old Executioner has been known to be a bully. Glad Simon gave him a beat-down, lol.